Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Got my interview date not in until 20th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

19th May for my interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I'm the second week of May. Thank feck I won't have too much time to think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Lojak wrote: »
    Got my interview date not in until 20th May.

Good luck! Haven't received a mail yet.
    Plenty of time for preparation and getting whatever needs to be in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

BRB wrote: »
    Good luck! Haven't received a mail yet.
    Plenty of time for preparation and getting whatever needs to be in order!

Thanks, ye glad its later in the month, was convinced I would be called the 12th, im going to Liverpools last game of year . It would have been typical! Plenty of time to get ready now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 whysosirius

May 1st. Can't wait!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Lojak wrote: »
    Thanks, ye glad its later in the month, was convinced I would be called the 12th, im going to Liverpools last game of year . It would have been typical! Plenty of time to get ready now.

A Liverpool supporter!! That's you finished so.

Only slagging. I hope that you play soccer or some other sports because all the Garda teams are struggling to get players due to the recruitment ban

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

May 12th.....application form looks very light....

Interview date is the 14th. Day after my last exam. Plenty of time for a new suit and to make sure I have everything prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

3weeks to interview

living for it!

Competencies are good

Serving the public
    commitment to the role

2 easy checks

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Just got back from the state's to find out I got through well done to anyone who made it

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

the 7th of May

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

BRB wrote: »
    Interview date is the 14th. Day after my last exam. Plenty of time for a new suit and to make sure I have everything prepared.

college exam I assume?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

They cant seriously expect us to come up with the ORIGINAL leaving cert results?

jamesr123 wrote: »
    college exam I assume?

Yes indeed! Pretty happy it doesn't clash with my interview.

newmug wrote: »
    They cant seriously expect us to come up with the ORIGINAL leaving cert results?

I imagine there's a process to get those results from the department?

Thankfully, mine wasn't that long ago. Dug them up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I had my LC results sent out to me about 2 years ago, obviously not the original but I'm sure they'd do. I think they mean they don't want photocopies. Think it cost about €5-10. Maybe ring PAS to be sure though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I had my LC results sent out to me about 2 years ago, obviously not the original but I'm sure they'd do. I think they mean they don't want photocopies. Think it cost about €5-10. Maybe ring PAS to be sure though!

They barely looked twice at peoples ID's at stage 3 even after setting stringent conditions
    So I really can't see them being pedantic over duplicate results from Examinations Commission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

May 1st! Two weeks to prepare......eek!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

D Trent wrote: »
    They barely looked twice at peoples ID's at stage 3 even after setting stringent conditions
    So I really can't see them being pedantic over duplicate results from Examinations Commission

You may be right but it's a chance I would not be willing to take. Ring PAS if you have any doubts. At the very least it'll put your mind at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Swoop23

Do the require your original college degree too or just the leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

mickaleen wrote: »
    May 12th.....application form looks very light....

Ya it is... I was under the impression we were getting forms with questions about what we would do in certain situations and we had to fill that out and we would then be questioned on it?? The interview form is basically a CV...

I'm on same day... I finished in top 30.. People here saying there on 1st so I presume it wasnt done on order of merit.. alphabetical order??????

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

octigen wrote: »
    Ya it is... I was under the impression we were getting forms with questions about what we would do in certain situations and we had to fill that out and we would then be questioned on it?? The interview form is basically a CV...

I'm on same day... I finished in top 30.. People here saying there on 1st so I presume it wasnt done on order of merit.. alphabetical order??????

its usually done by candidate number

when is the first and last interview dates?

If you go onto examinations.ie they will send you out your LC results for €14.50. Takes approx 2 weeks they say.
    Im sure this will suffice.

Are your results at previous stages taken into account at the interview stage or is the slate wiped clean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Chirper wrote: »
    Are your results at previous stages taken into account at the interview stage or is the slate wiped clean?

Hard to say, I was under the impression candidates were brought forward to stage 4 in order of merit. I thought I read or heard that somewhere during the stage 3 process but I could be mistaken..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

octigen wrote: »
    Hard to say, I was under the impression candidates were brought forward to stage 4 in order of merit. I thought I read or heard that somewhere during the stage 3 process but I could be mistaken..

candidate number dictates interview as its a clean slate now

may the best man/woman win

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Mid may for the interview - progressing nicely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

What the fluck are "dental caries"? How would you know if you had / needed them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

newmug wrote: »
    What the fluck are "dental caries"? How would you know if you had / needed them?

Its the posh name for tooth decay and cavities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 arsenal.fc

A major garda station in north dublin has only one gr left in the running and he is not in the top band,:-),

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

arsenal.fc wrote: »
    A major garda station in north dublin has only one gr left in the running and he is not in the top band,:-),

Well if that is the situation fair dues to the young man. His experience as a Reserve should now give him an advantage at interview. Those Reserves who have fallen by the wayside obviously have not met the standard of non Reserve successful applicants. It may not be what they wany but they can always continue to serve as Reserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Ruginator

Lads,
    Having been through exactly what ye are going into with the interviews from the last recruitment drive, a couple of points I'd note for each of ye.

1. The application form you will fill out in advance of the interview will have a major bearing on whether you get in, give this a lot of throught, and lay it out well. I cannot stress this enough, in my opinion Youd want to get help from someone who has been through the process before, when filling this out. When I did my interview the panel of interviewers had highlighted my script, and some sentences in particular, remember this script is going to steer your whole interview, you need to fill ot out correctly. Seek help. Absolutely crucial on this one

2. Preparation - I went to three different ex guards./ former interviewers for sample interviews to understand the likely questions, and met up with a number of people who had been through the process before to understand it, it's vital you do as much preparation as possible. I had an A4 copy that I had all samples of my competencies and sample answers written down to help me revise, and remember them constantly.

3. There is fierce excitement here on getting to this phase, remember at least half if not more will fail this phase, what you've done to get you this far is great, and well done to each of you, imagine the disappointment of not getting this interview. Domt get swept away back slapping yourself as being part of some "elite crew" as has been mentioned above, likely in jest. The competition starts now and it's for real. I know for a fact people who've come in the top 10 on the aptitude tests in past recruitment drives andhave failed the interview.

4. Why do you want to be a guard - this is massive question for each of you individually, you need to think this through thoroughly and be very assured of your answer, thr panel will probe this stringently to see your motivation. Why are you interested in joining a force that has been through such media controversy as recently? Why would you want to join a force that is as disciplined as an Garda Siochana? Are you prepared to move away from home and be stationed anywhere on this island? Why are you interested in leaving the comfort of your life now to join the force? How would you cope with telling a mother her son has died in a car crash? I was asked each of those questions in my interview. They want to see you've considered this and thought about it deeply.

5 Seek help do not be shy about asking neighbors, friends, relations, the lad from the GAA club, anyone who is a guard or who has been through the process before for advice and if they have time to sit with you to discuss their experience or knowledge. You've done incredibly well to get this far, don't look back and wished you done more.For the few who genuinely don't know any guard or person whose been through the process before, don't be afraid to get down to your local station and ask them for help, I can guarantee you that you'll find someone or be put in touch with someone whose willing to help.

If anyone has any questions shout out or PM me

Ruginator wrote: »
    Lads,
    Having been through exactly what ye are going into with the interviews from the last recruitment drive, a couple of points I'd note for each of ye.

1. The application form you will fill out in advance of the interview will have a major bearing on whether you get in, give this a lot of throught, and lay it out well. I cannot stress this enough, in my opinion Youd want to get help from someone who has been through the process before, when filling this out. When I did my interview the panel of interviewers had highlighted my script, and some sentences in particular, remember this script is going to steer your whole interview, you need to fill ot out correctly. Seek help. Absolutely crucial on this one

Thank you for all the advice. I think the applications have changed though. A good friend of mine who is a member was telling me the same thing about the form but for him it was asking for specific information about situations. For us it's like a glorified CV. Basically it just asks for education details and work history. With a small section at the end for: "Additional Relevant Information"

Hey guys,

Do ye think that that 150e interview prep course from CareerServices.ie will be worth it?

Hey guys,

Do ye think that that 150e interview prep course from CareerServices.ie will be worth it?

If you have friends/relations/neighbour that is a Garda I wouldn't bother. I was told to never pay by a Sgt who said she'll sit me down for a couple hours.

Maybe a bottle of wine or a few pints would be payment enough.

However, if you really feel it will give you an advantage go for it. But so many people have taken those courses for the previous stages in the competition and failed.

Those courses are scams

youll be 150lighter and none the wiser

this is a new interview format with totally new competencies so the interview board have to be trained to do it, so how would a private company prep you for something that hasnt happened yet!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hey guys,

Con job in my opinion. You got this far on your own presumably? It is an interview at the end of the day. Do you go pay someone every time you have a job interview? And what would these lads know about it in fairness that offers an advantage? last campaign was in 2008. Save yourself the money and just have a friend/family member go over basic interview questions with you because at the end of the day that is all you are going to be getting asked.

I Got the prep pack from career services for the initial aptitude tests. This massive folder arrived in the post. It turned out about 30 odd pages were relevant and the pages that were relevant were the same as doing any online iq test. The pack cost €90. Thankfully ive reached the interview stage however it is not down to the pack i received from career services. €150 to sit in a classroom with 30 other people doesnt sound like good value to me.

arsenal.fc wrote: »

Out of my reserve class there are 14 still in the running with 2 of us in the top ten

• Advertisement

Raider190 wrote: »
    Out of my reserve class there are 14 still in the running with 2 of us in the top ten

Being in the top 10 is irrelevant now.

Fair play to yas! Reserve should be a great advantage come interview

Your an out and out liar

stop clogging up this thread

its for GENUINE candidates in stage 4

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Your an out and out liar

You could well be right but why is everyone so sure he's lying?

You could well be right but why is everyone so sure he's lying?

AGS is a small place and the GR even smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cynicalcough

In fairness it's a bit unusual that he said same 14 were through with 2 in the top 10 after stage 3. Law of averages and all. I call shenanigans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Raider I hope your not in the running mate.. You'll eventually be killed. And not by criminals but probably by other guards who have to work with you..

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Your an out and out liar

Relax man you will give your self a heart attack. And keep your comments to yourself. Will see you or not at the college and we can discuss it.

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Raider I hope your not in the running mate.. You'll eventually be killed. And not by criminals but probably by other guards who have to work with you..

Am already a member and it hasn't happened yet,,,,, and you are????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Relax man you will give your self a heart attack. And keep your comments to yourself. Will see you or not at the college and we can discuss it.

You remind me of a AGS member from Blanch, he was a pompous prat, full of himself and thought he knew better than members with double digits of service in the force. He needed to be taken down a peg or two and thats exactly what happened, he's not a member anymore

Advertisement