Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

under the section spare-time activities/achievements on form B how did ye go about filling it out? im unsure if it should be a paragraph on each of your hobbies and achievements or what:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Peter2.0

madbadger wrote: »
    No, it did for previous recruitment drives, not anymore.

Just secondary and up as far as i recall

Secondary school or 3rd level academic reference. If you don't know someone just contact your college/school admin and they'll provide an academic reference for you.

Any permanent address you had (anywhere ya got post/bills sent to)

Does the academic reference have to be a written reference or just contact details, as schools are now closed and I. Can't get through to anyone in secondar school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

On interview form we're asked on the leaving very results if we wish to be assessed in English or irish what's the story as it's not very clear from familiarisation material!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

On interview form we're asked on the leaving very results if we wish to be assessed in English or irish what's the story as it's not very clear from familiarisation material!

I read it as if you have both in the leaving at the required grade you don't need to be assessed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

Is everybody trying to incorporate their competencies into the interview form? Or just having different examples of the competencies ready?

Quick question if anyone can help. In relation to the Garda vetting, would the activities of my mothers half sisters son affect my vetting? former Garda jailed for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Quick question if anyone can help. In relation to the Garda vetting, would the activities of my mothers half sisters son affect my vetting? former Garda jailed for theft.

My sister is facing higher end theft charges and im starting in templemore Monday week so no I doubt it will effect you

Interview form sent! No going back now

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fuzzy2184

Does anyone know how essential it is to have all your aunts and uncles dates of birth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciaran20041329

Lads as regards the references, is anybody else having a bit of bother with that? I emailed my old lecturer but I've just copped that they're on their summer break?,I wonder would it look a bit strange if I try to use a secondary school teacher even though I have an undergraduate degree? That's if I can even get hold of one of those.

Lads as regards the references, is anybody else having a bit of bother with that? I emailed my old lecturer but I've just copped that they're on their summer break?,I wonder would it look a bit strange if I try to use a secondary school teacher even though I have an undergraduate degree? That's if I can even get hold of one of those.
    I'm doing the same if I can get on touch

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Peter2.0 wrote: »
    Does the academic reference have to be a written reference or just contact details, as schools are now closed and I. Can't get through to anyone in secondar school.

Contact details are sufficient but there's no issue giving a written reference either. Obv. schools and colleges are closed now so if you can, try to get a mobile/home number for whatever reference you are using if you can. Do a bit of detective work, try phonebook / facebook you can find pretty much anybody if you try hard enough. ;)
    If all else fails, just put down name & contact no. of school/college

Form finally sent. Spent an exceptional amount of time on it. So glad its gone and can just focus on Form B and Interview now

A question for the tradesmen!! What did you put down on form b for college! Did you put down where you done phase 2/4 and 6?? Or just mark down fas?

A question for the tradesmen!! What did you put down on form b for college! Did you put down where you done phase 2/4 and 6?? Or just mark down fas?

I put down fas and then the other 2 phases aswell might aswell

• Advertisement

I'm doing the same if I can get on touch

Was just talking to one of the lads, he got through and had no written references at all.

Can anyone advise on the interview itself? What are they looking for in your example? Any curveballs thrown?

Can anyone advise on the interview itself? What are they looking for in your example? Any curveballs thrown?

I'm quote nervous about "Personal effectiveness". I can't really come across van example of this to be deemed strong enough.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

For a written reference from work could we just bring that along with our form b or what's the story with it?

caza182 wrote: »
    For a written reference from work could we just bring that along with our form b or what's the story with it?

Don't think you need anything written only contact details. That's all I've done. Hope I'm right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

Don't think you need anything written only contact details. That's all I've done. Hope I'm right

I was thinking that myself but saw a few posts about written references so was just wondering what they were doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

I was thinking that myself but saw a few posts about written references so was just wondering what they were doing!

Possibly the character references, for mine personally earlier this year I had no written references just names and contact details & D.O.B. and postal addresses where I had them.

If you have written references to hand then bring them with too but don't panic if you don't have one.

I'd say were ok it doesn't state they're needed anyways.

The Garda forms are very accurate and if they wanted you to have written references it would clearly state it!!!!!

Possibly the character references, for mine personally earlier this year I had no written references just names and contact details & D.O.B. and postal addresses where I had them.

If you have written references to hand then bring them with too but don't panic if you don't have one.

Any idea when youre getting in? :)

Any idea when youre getting in? :)

Wish I knew, I am hoping for October, done my interview mid April, Medical end of May and Physical end of June so I'd hate to miss out on October and be waiting until possibly next April/May.....

Wish I knew, I am hoping for October, done my interview mid April, Medical end of May and Physical end of June so I'd hate to miss out on October and be waiting until possibly next April/May.....

Yeah I would say would have to be October. What was the last thing they said to you? Wonder will our group be October or later than that

Yeah I would say would have to be October. What was the last thing they said to you? Wonder will our group be October or later than that

Well the next intake finishes September 10th, I imagine the only reason it would be later than October is if they didn't have the numbers but that's unlikely with the amount of people doing interviews etc now.

I know my file is not ready as something with the vetting side isn't complete so I am planning on ringing HRM again mid august to see if it has progressed further then...

Well the next intake finishes September 10th, I imagine the only reason it would be later than October is if they didn't have the numbers but that's unlikely with the amount of people doing interviews etc now.

I know my file is not ready as something with the vetting side isn't complete so I am planning on ringing HRM again mid august to see if it has progressed further then...

Ah I see I see. Its crazy that depending on how this interview goes it could be a job for the rest of my life! How did your interview go? did you find it difficult?

Ah I see I see. Its crazy that depending on how this interview goes it could be a job for the rest of my life! How did your interview go? did you find it difficult?

Yea my nerves were in bits for the interview and having 3 different people asking you questions while a 4th takes notes didn't help!

But I went in with the attitude that these people have done plenty of interviews and aren't out to get me so I just focused on the person directing the questions at me and tried to give clear examples of my previous work history that demonstrated the competencies they were asking about.

It all seems like it was so long ago since my interview its mad that it was only 3 months ago!

It's worth noting that I was also revising my interview form before I went into the interview just so I didn't blank on previous job duties from years ago etc and I had a few extra examples and points in addition to my interview form to talk about that I didn't have room on the form either.

They will have your interview form in front of them and they will be using that as a guide with the required competencies to direct the interview essentially so it would be an idea to look at your interview form alongside the six competencies, Resilience, Serving the Public, Problem Solving, Interpersonal Skills, Personal Effectiveness, Commitment to the Role.

Best of Luck, hopefully some of the above will help!

• Advertisement

Yea my nerves were in bits for the interview and having 3 different people asking you questions while a 4th takes notes didn't help!

But I went in with the attitude that these people have done plenty of interviews and aren't out to get me so I just focused on the person directing the questions at me and tried to give clear examples of my previous work history that demonstrated the competencies they were asking about.

It all seems like it was so long ago since my interview its mad that it was only 3 months ago!

It's worth noting that I was also revising my interview form before I went into the interview just so I didn't blank on previous job duties from years ago etc and I had a few extra examples and points in addition to my interview form to talk about that I didn't have room on the form either.

They will have your interview form in front of them and they will be using that as a guide with the required competencies to direct the interview essentially so it would be an idea to look at your interview form alongside the six competencies, Resilience, Serving the Public, Problem Solving, Interpersonal Skills, Personal Effectiveness, Commitment to the Role.

Best of Luck, hopefully some of the above will help!

Yeah I have done my form and have a good few different competency examples mainly from the Reserves

I think I need to go over my Interview Form more cause I got so stressed over it! ha

Its now about making sure I remember them and being able to list them off ha

Yeah I have done my form and have a good few different competency examples mainly from the Reserves

I think I need to go over my Interview Form more cause I got so stressed over it! ha

Its now about making sure I remember them and being able to list them off ha

Well the interviewers do lead you somewhat as each take on two competencies and ask you questions specific to each one, I know I repeated one or two examples as they covered more than one competency.

Each one is given 5mins to discuss and after each is discussed there is an extra 5 mins to go into something more or for you to bring their attention to something you didn't get to discuss already..

I remember I was trying to give an example of serving the public and with my nerves started talking about one scenario I had with a customer and it was one where the customer ended up leaving extremely unhappy as in I failed to resolve the issue! Had to turn it around on the spot and go its not an ideal example to give you but it's a perfect example of how not every situation with the public works out well!

So yea as I said they aren't looking to fail you and even when you get a bit thrown nerves wise to take a breathe and move on to the next question and sure use the 5 mins at the end to clarify if needs be!

Well the interviewers do lead you somewhat as each take on two competencies and ask you questions specific to each one, I know I repeated one or two examples as they covered more than one competency.

Each one is given 5mins to discuss and after each is discussed there is an extra 5 mins to go into something more or for you to bring their attention to something you didn't get to discuss already..

I remember I was trying to give an example of serving the public and with my nerves started talking about one scenario I had with a customer and it was one where the customer ended up leaving extremely unhappy as in I failed to resolve the issue! Had to turn it around on the spot and go its not an ideal example to give you but it's a perfect example of how not every situation with the public works out well!

So yea as I said they aren't looking to fail you and even when you get a bit thrown nerves wise to take a breathe and move on to the next question and sure use the 5 mins at the end to clarify if needs be!

Thanks for that, helps a lot as I'm struggling to find good examples for competencies.

Great to get this info before interviews! This time next week It will be done and over with :/

Thanks for that, helps a lot as I'm struggling to find good examples for competencies.
    Great to get this info before interviews! This time next week It will be done and over with :/

Ah you're more than welcome just glad to try help somewhat if I can! I only started following these threads after my interview and wish I had been on sooner would have eased my stress and nerve levels :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat! The guy I'm doing the course with before interview is gonna earn his money with me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Mudmask

Just got my message from public jobs. Didn't meet the standard. I'm not too surprised, left the interview feeling like I didn't say what I meant to etc., still dissapointed though!!. Good luck to everyone going on to stage 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mudmask wrote: »
    Just got my message from public jobs. Didn't meet the standard. I'm not too surprised, left the interview feeling like I didn't say what I meant to etc., still dissapointed though!!. Good luck to everyone going on to stage 5 :)

Hard luck Mudmask, i got through the interview myself got the confirmation email just while ago.

Does anyone know what the order of merit means as regards the next stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cilldara podge

slingerz wrote: »
    Hard luck Mudmask, i got through the interview myself got the confirmation email just while ago.

Does anyone know what the order of merit means as regards the next stage?

I am through to the next stage too, to stay I'm relieved would be and understatement 😊 Anybody know when they will contact us in relation to the next stage?

• Advertisement

Mudmask wrote: »

What exactly did they say?? I really feel for you! I have mine next week and will be absolutely devastated if it doesnt go well.. Did you do a lot of prep for it?

What exactly did they say?? I really feel for you! I have mine next week and will be absolutely devastated if it doesnt go well.. Did you do a lot of prep for it?
    Message said, "I regret to inform you that unfortunately you did not reach the required standard at interview and therefore your application will receive no further consideration.". I'd done quite a bit but didn't want to come across as having learned everything off. I think my main problem was my examples of the competencies weren't strong enough. They asked for other examples and I couldn't think of them on the spot, so definitely have more ready too. I was quite thrown also because my form B hadn't been taken before I went in, and then one member of the panel took three competencies, another took two and the last took one. I think I just need more experience and be better prepared if there is ever a next time.

Did you have two examples of each competency? I have two examples for every competency and some I have three. Did you have a backup no? I think this has been a few peoples downfall.. And I hope you don't mind me asking but what sort of examples where you giving for your competencies? Really am sorry to hear that but there will definitely be a next time and you can take great pride in getting to interview stage.. So many others didn't get anywhere near as close as you

Did you have two examples of each competency? I have two examples for every competency and some I have three. Did you have a backup no? I think this has been a few peoples downfall.. And I hope you don't mind me asking but what sort of examples where you giving for your competencies? Really am sorry to hear that but there will definitely be a next time and you can take great pride in getting to interview stage.. So many others didn't get anywhere near as close as you
    I had two for each and then some that overlapped. I think they just weren't what they were looking for, or maybe my definitions of the competencies were well off. The woman on my board particularly asked multiple times, sometimes using different wording, for more examples. I don't think my examples will be all that relevant, everyone's are different but I used examples from college, working in the public service and working in a shop. They wanted to know mostly about working in the shop. Which I hadn't really been banking on as it was a summer job a few years ago, rather than the public service which was only last year.

Ah I see I see.. Well as I said it will be around again so I wouldn't give up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Ah I see I see.. Well as I said it will be around again so I wouldn't give up!

And it will be round again sooner than most people know it -
    I think publicjobs have learned a lot from this campaign they will do some things differently

• Advertisement

To all that get through..... Relax..... It's a waiting game!!!!!!!! Don't expect to be in templemore too soon!!! Not that some won't..... But the process has its fast and slow moments!!!!! Take your time between stages to enjoy yourself and stay motivated and somewhat healthy.... We all are gonna be waiting a while, we may as well enjoy being "off the job" before we spend a lifetime on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ExtaticFob

Hey guys, just wondering if you are placed on the order of merit and advised of your position, can others doing the interview now dislodge you?

ExtaticFob wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if you are placed on the order of merit and advised of your position, can others doing the interview now dislodge you?

Get ready for long periods of waiting around again, people will go ahead of you in relation to the OOM if you are deferred on the medical or fail the physical or if there are delays to your vetting...
    but I think the OOM decides who get brought for medical first, as only when you pass the medical can you do the physical.

Interview a little over 24hours away and I'm struggling to say the least, I've haven't done an interview in about 10years,

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Corkrunner35

Interview a little over 24hours away and I'm struggling to say the least, I've haven't done an interview in about 10years,

I was same my Interview lasted about 45min 3 interviewers and one scribe. They will split up competences so make sure you know your examples inside out back to front!

Remember your communication skills engage with the speaker, speak clear
    And us older folk we have a lot of experiences so don't be afraid to use them in a positive manner!

• Advertisement
Advertisement