Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    Regarding the vetting for stage 4.
    Did ye get a link to the form with your results for stage 3 or is there a way to download it while waiting for the results?
    Thanks.

You get the link to one with your results and the second form with your interview date details.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

Time to fire up this thread again.
    I don't know if I'm more nervous now after finding out I passed haha
    Better dust off the old suit now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Did any 1 get date yet. Jesus very little time to prepare!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AVPU

Aye, I got my date..... where's my suit?!!

Got my date too.
    Gonna be a nervy week and a bit now of trying to prepare.
    I'll probably have to give this year's jazz weekend a miss next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

I see a lot of mention of community work and stuff like that. Ive never been on a sports team. Hobbies would be snooker, pitch n putt, fishing.

I'm a bit worried I don't have community work done :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 madlad2013

I got a message on my public jobs message board on Friday stating that I have been invited to interview stage, which is in less than two weeks time. I did receive a link for familiarisation martial and form B, however, I didn't receive the "interview form". Is this normal procedure? Has anybody else been invited to interview and not received this form yet?

madlad2013 wrote: »
    I got a message on my public jobs message board on Friday stating that I have been invited to interview stage, which is in less than two weeks time. I did receive a link for familiarisation martial and form B, however, I didn't receive the "interview form". Is this normal procedure? Has anybody else been invited to interview and not received this form yet?

The link should be in your stage 3 results.
    Did you open the message on a pc or laptop? For me at least the links don't work on my phone.

So stage 3 results on a pc. If it's not there you'd want to contact PAS

Hows everyone getting on with the interview form?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 madlad2013

Thanks for the reply. No I didn't get the link. Did you get a date by which it has to be sent back to them?

• Advertisement

madlad2013 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. No I didn't get the link. Did you get a date by which it has to be sent back to them?

No problem.
    I'd say your best bet is to call PAS in the morning and get them to email it to you. Very odd that it was left out.
    I has to be sent out by this Thursday.

Edit: Sorry if you read this before I edited it, I read the message again right after posting.

thekopend wrote: »
    Hows everyone getting on with the interview form?

Started it tonight. It's a CV in itself. Gonna take my time with it before I send it off.

How about you?

I have to have mine emailed by 22nd and interview is 29th so it has to be sent back before interview

Started it tonight. It's a CV in itself. Gonna take my time with it before I send it off.

How about you?

Ya just copied and pasted my employment history from cv. Wondering about the relevance to a garda and how much detail do we have to give. Is it based on the 6 competencys for the interview i wonder. Like would we want to be covering those competencys with our job history. What could we put in the additional info section, community service i wonder? Any input from anyone who has it done before is apreciated!

thekopend wrote: »
    Ya just copied and pasted my employment history from cv. Wondering about the relevance to a garda and how much detail do we have to give. Is it based on the 6 competencys for the interview i wonder. Like would we want to be covering those competencys with our job history. What could we put in the additional info section, community service i wonder? Any input from anyone who has it done before is apreciated!

I thought about copy n paste but a lot of the cv has no relevance. Like working a till or cleaning means nothing to the role of a garda so I re wrote it. Trying to keep it brief too.
    I say it'll be there in front of us in the interview so I say it'd be good to incorporate them if possible.
    To be honest those competencies aren't easy. Things like resilience are a head scratcher for me.

Stress levels are up man, I feel like I have the credentials but really need to get my head wrapped round the delivery and even just understand fully what the competencies actually mean like

Started it tonight, trying to elaborate on things was grand for a few, but some jobs had ****e all, like bar work :p

I elaborated on some other stuff though, hopefully it will be enough!!

AVPU wrote: »
    Started it tonight, trying to elaborate on things was grand for a few, but some jobs had ****e all, like bar work :p

I elaborated on some other stuff though, hopefully it will be enough!!

I'd say they will question you on bar work in relation to 'serving the public' and 'resilience' as well as 'interpersonal skills' so I wouldn't disregard that as having ****e all to elaborate on!

- how you dealt with the ups and downs of serving the public.
    - how you were resilient despite a job that at times is highly stressful and that at times you could face confrontational customers etc
    - how you needed good interpersonal skills to deal with customers from verying walks of life etc and of course the inebriated people too

I'd say they will question you on bar work in relation to 'serving the public' and 'resilience' as well as 'interpersonal skills' so I wouldn't disregard that as having ****e all to elaborate on!

- how you dealt with the ups and downs of serving the public.
    - how you were resilient despite a job that at times is highly stressful and that at times you could face confrontational customers etc
    - how you needed good interpersonal skills to deal with customers from verying walks of life etc and of course the inebriated people too

all of those things are covered in other jobs, and elaborated on, I don't want to say the same for them all. But I'll elaborate none the less. Ta :)

all of those things are covered in other jobs, and elaborated on, I don't want to say the same for them all. But I'll elaborate none the less. Ta :)

Try have 2 or 3 examples of each competency and don't worry about overlapping, my panel of interviewers were mad keen on asking questions on my hotel bar and reception work didn't stay on my admin work that I have been doing more recently to it.

My interview form I focused on each job individually on the form tying it to whatever competencies it matched to. Keep it as succint as possible but it is something they will be looking at during your interview and I personally used my own copy before hand as a revision tool so I knew what I wanted to say and get across in the interview :)

• Advertisement

Try have 2 or 3 examples of each competency and don't worry about overlapping, my panel of interviewers were mad keen on asking questions on my hotel bar and reception work didn't stay on my admin work that I have been doing more recently to it.

My interview form I focused on each job individually on the form tying it to whatever competencies it matched to. Keep it as succint as possible but it is something they will be looking at during your interview and I personally used my own copy before hand as a revision tool so I knew what I wanted to say and get across in the interview :)

How important are your referees?
    School should be okay, might be able to get a second from college (I only did one year so it could be difficult)
    Work should be okay.
    Then someone I'm not related to but have known five years, could this just be a friend? I can't think of anyone very reputable I could use

Educational referees are going to be my problem. I never went to college due to the cost, and my secondary school amalgamated with the two others in town, resulting in several teachers retiring etc. I'm not sure if any teachers I had are even working as a teacher anymore!

Educational referees are going to be my problem. I never went to college due to the cost, and my secondary school amalgamated with the two others in town, resulting in several teachers retiring etc. I'm not sure if any teachers I had are even working as a teacher anymore!

Call in in person and see who's left?
    How long since you did your leaving?
    I'm sure there are older people here who might not have a single teacher left in their school from their time there.
    If you really wanted I'm sure the school could help you get a past principals number.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Lads as a policy my employers dont give character references. Could this be a potential problem also do you need written references. I have plenty others thou?

Lads as a policy my employers dont give character references. Could this be a potential problem also do you need written references. I have plenty others thou?

You can get a refference from a past employer too if your current ones are no good. I'm pretty sure all employers have an obligation to give a refference though.

It doesn't say anything about any written refferences on form B though reading back I see people talking about them. I'd really like some information on this too.

theyll give a basic reference stating that i worked there but i dont know if thats any good to me....time to start looking for obair nua methinks....

• Advertisement

theyll give a basic reference stating that i worked there but i dont know if thats any good to me....time to start looking for obair nua methinks....

From what I saw on this is they check refferences after they pass you so you wouldn't know how much it'll matter. I'm sure they'll understand too
    Hopefully the new job will be the AGS for us man

ah even still....keep looking it could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

Hi can I just ask you all my interview form link seems to be wrong it hasn't got the competency skills on it, only 6 parts to my form I got on the link, is this incorrect or has anyone the same problem ?

Padge1987 wrote: »
    Hi can I just ask you all my interview form link seems to be wrong it hasn't got the competency skills on it, only 6 parts to my form I got on the link, is this incorrect or has anyone the same problem ?

Mine hasn't any mention of competencies on it. Just your details then career history and what experiences you had relevant to the role of garda trainee.
    I think that's right anyway.

Mine hasn't any mention of competencies on it. Just your details then career history and what experiences you had relevant to the role of garda trainee.
    I think that's right anyway.

Yea see if this is our interview form they most def should be in it as its in the instructions it's on our interview form which they will have a copy, I will ring in the morning to enquire about it so we know.

• Advertisement

Call in in person and see who's left?
    How long since you did your leaving?
    I'm sure there are older people here who might not have a single teacher left in their school from their time there.
    If you really wanted I'm sure the school could help you get a past principals number.

My old school doesn't exist anymore is what I'm saying. 2005 since I did leaving. I'll call to the new school and see if they can help

Anyone hav any idea how to relate the job of a labourer to a agarda trainee

Yea see if this is our interview form they most def should be in it as its in the instructions it's on our interview form which they will have a copy, I will ring in the morning to enquire about it so we know.

Did you call them yet Padge?

Did you call them yet Padge?

Hey

Yea got through this afternoon so it turns out the form we have is correct, before it was part of the form and then u would have an extra in ur head ready so we just need to av 2 or 3 examples in our head of each one going in :)

Hey

Yea got through this afternoon so it turns out the form we have is correct, before it was part of the form and then u would have an extra in ur head ready so we just need to av 2 or 3 examples in our head of each one going in :)

Thanks Padge

At least that gives us extra time to get examples ready and not have worry too much and get specific on the form

when people filled in work exp on interview form did ye put in just name of company or address aswell?

Vetting form. The bane of my life today :-/

Vetting form. The bane of my life today :-/

Tell me about it.
    But at least we don't have a deadline with it, we just need to print it off and bring it in to the interview.

Thekopend,
    I just put the company in as it didn't state the address. But I haven't it finalised at all yet.
    Does anybody know what the deadline time is? Is it midnight tomorrow or just office hours?
    I wouldn't mind going through it one last time tomorrow evening but I won't be back from work till long after office hours end.

And also with referees, the two general references. One of which can be an employer.
    Does the employer need to have known you for more than five years? It's a tad vague on the form.

Tell me about it.
    But at least we don't have a deadline with it, we just need to print it off and bring it in to the interview.

Thekopend,
    I just put the company in as it didn't state the address. But I haven't it finalised at all yet.
    Does anybody know what the deadline time is? Is it midnight tomorrow or just office hours?
    I wouldn't mind going through it one last time tomorrow evening but I won't be back from work till long after office hours end.

And also with referees, the two general references. One of which can be an employer.
    Does the employer need to have known you for more than five years? It's a tad vague on the form.

Sound. Im going to send in tonight so that they have it by thursday start of working day. Not too sure about that, i think they might have to, what im wondering is can you put down 2 employers or is it strictly just one and one other.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Tell me about it.

Thekopend,

There should be a submission deadline time and date, there was when I completed it.

You should know employer for 5 years also, they want character references.

• Advertisement

ollieo wrote: »
    There should be a submission deadline time and date, there was when I completed it.

You should know employer for 5 years also, they want character references.

It just said by Thursday. No time.

Ive only been working a year. I've good refferences in that time, better refferences than an awful lot else.
    It'd be a real bummer to have to omit them. I think I'll call and ask if it's a total no or if they'll take in to account that I'm young.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

It just said by Thursday. No time.

Ive only been working a year. I've good refferences in that time, better refferences than an awful lot else.
    It'd be a real bummer to have to omit them. I think I'll call and ask if it's a total no or if they'll take in to account that I'm young.

In that case I can't imagine it being an issue, I'm a bit older myself haha.

I had to submit by 5 or 6pm on the cut-off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mark010

spoke to PAS today, form must be in by COB Thursday

Filled the application form, and sent off, getting through the vetting form is a pain. I don't have exact work dates, just estimates. Should get me through, I left all jobs on a good note (Most were contracts that expired).

Thanks Padge

At least that gives us extra time to get examples ready and not have worry too much and get specific on the form

No problem

I sent mine now just 6 parts and then form b is for interview day? Took me a while to fill up the interview form I better start form b soon lol

I called hrm and they said contrary to the form you don't need to have known the reference for five years.
    Also we've until closing tomorrow to send the interview form off.

Does the form b have to stamped at a garda station or is it stamped on the day of the interview?

Does the form b have to stamped at a garda station or is it stamped on the day of the interview?

From what iv read its someone from garda hq who stamps it after interview

Ok and the form has to be in be midnight tonight or anytime tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Ok and the form has to be in be midnight tonight or anytime tomorrow?

Until office hours end tomorrow.

I'm still humming and hawing over what to put in other relevant details.
    What sort of stuff did you lads put in that box?

Advertisement