Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Ah mostly about teamwork and communication. Tried to talk about community engagement and dealing with people that kinda thing. Im gonna try to get it in tonight. Im nearly finished it. at it all day

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Padge1987

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    Until office hours end tomorrow.

I'm still humming and hawing over what to put in other relevant details.
    What sort of stuff did you lads put in that box?

I've been in long hours demanding role last few years and with my family commitments I have not really been huge in sports etc, I actually left that box blank and will hopefully be. Able to tackle it in interview

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

Padge1987 wrote: »
    I've been in long hours demanding role last few years and with my family commitments I have not really been huge in sports etc, I actually left that box blank and will hopefully be. Able to tackle it in interview
    I am fairly similar there
    I wonder if there's a pass mark or if we are going to be based off each others scores.
    Also what I'm wondering, out of our top 500 after stage 2, how many of us made it through to stage 4?
    Stage 3 seemed to have a lot of fails, a lot more than what I was expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

lads if you meet language requirements do you just leave the ' i need to be assessed in eng/irish' blank?

Urgent I submitted it last night I'm after realising I made a typo error throughout the whole document. Can I resubmit it?

• Advertisement

Urgent I submitted it last night I'm after realising I made a typo error throughout the whole document. Can I resubmit it?

I wouldn't worry too much about typos as it's not a spelling test but you could always call PAS. They're easy to talk to.

Just sent off my own form, had this morning off work to go through it.
    Instantly thought of details I could've put in after sending it but that's what the interview is for I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Best of luck to everyone going for interviews!

I found the interview the toughest stage, I'd recommend doing a preparation mock interview, I know I wouldn't have gotten through the interview without the feedback I received.

I used a woman called Mary D'Estelle Roe, found her very good.

ollieo wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone going for interviews!

I found the interview the toughest stage, I'd recommend doing a preparation mock interview, I know I wouldn't have gotten through the interview without the feedback I received.

I used a woman called Mary D'Estelle Roe, found her very good.

What sort of advice did you get from her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I used to be a woman called Mary D'Estelle Roe, found her very good.

An Garda Siochana has come on leaps and bounds....

Cmere i just heard on that radio from the justice minister that they will be advertising in november 2015 for the next campaign. Given that we in the interview process now...will we be allowed to apply for this upcoming campaign?

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »

Whats your issue with her kid? Anything you want to say?

What sort of advice did you get from her?

Just did a mock interview, so you know what to expect on the day. She'll talk to you about your work experience and how you can use different experiences you've had to demonstrate the competencies you will be interviewed on.

After the interview I had loads more examples to talk about where I demonstrated the various competencies. She may also make suggestions and help you come up with good examples.

For me it was well worth it, I passed the interview which is what I wanted.

D Trent wrote: »

I see what you did there, sneaky sneaky :p

Just did a mock interview, so you know what to expect on the day. She'll talk to you about your work experience and how you can use different experiences you've had to demonstrate the competencies you will be interviewed on.

After the interview I had loads more examples to talk about where I demonstrated the various competencies. She may also make suggestions and help you come up with good examples.

For me it was well worth it, I passed the interview which is what I wanted.

What kind of money does she ask for?
    I don't now if many places like that would be open during the weekend either. There's a few public places run by social welfare that give free mock interviews around the place.

Cmere i just heard on that radio from the justice minister that they will be advertising in november 2015 for the next campaign. Given that we in the interview process now...will we be allowed to apply for this upcoming campaign?

I was thinking the same actually. A kinda safety net would be nice haha
    But we've stared at computer screens long enough with three lots of aptitude tests, I don't want to have to think about doing it all again!

Ya I'm the same this campaign has taken everything out of me I don't wanna start again but if I have to i will...

Anyone know what date the interviews are running to?

Well lads I'm after coming back with down woth an. Old injury could take a wile to recover from as a results i can't do any training for the physical cause it is too painful. Is there any leeway with doing the physical could I do it at a later stage if I pass the interview because I just can't at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

I have my time and date for the appointment wrote down. But google is turning up nothing when I try find out where the stage 3 tests are actually being held. Could someone just post where this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

NickMondo wrote: »
    I have my time and date for the appointment wrote down. But google is turning up nothing when I try find out where the stage 3 tests are actually being held. Could someone just post where this happens?

See if this link shows it for you;

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Chapter+House,+Abbey+Street+Upper,+Dublin+1/@53.3474941,-6.2672183,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670e82fde2c153:0xecb4cd96f8568fd9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

NickMondo wrote: »

Stage 3 is Chapter House lad... Public Appointments Service, Chapter House, Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1.

Is that what you were looking for ?
    Its on the Luas line and the stop for it is Jervis. The Luas links Connolly and Heuston so if you're coming by train just hop on a Luas then.

Lads how are ye filling out form B?
    I basically edited the PDF, entering text boxes next to the questions.
    The areas where it's "Have you ever been convicted Yes / No"
    I highlight the no and enter a text box with a bold no next to it
    Should this be done in a specific format?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pp1401

JoeyJoe93 wrote:
    Lads how are ye filling out form B? I basically edited the PDF, entering text boxes next to the questions. The areas where it's "Have you ever been convicted Yes / No" I highlight the no and enter a text box with a bold no next to it Should this be done in a specific format?

Open the file in word rather than a PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AVPU

Opened it in Word, enabled editing, filled in/highlighted/deleted as necessary.

Save as PDF & Print.

So - What are people expecting to be asked of them in the interviews? How do ye feel about it?

I'm gonna have to re do it all

I haven't word on my Linux laptop.
    So did it as a pdf, opened it on word then on pc and those grey boxes only showed up there. Can look forward so to another going over, I'm not taking the chances on it being slightly off.

I had the grey boxes. I just erased them for where I wanted to type, and left the rest in blank fields. Doubt that will matter much. Re-do it all?? That's a dose man!! Can you not do it on Open office?

AVPU wrote: »
    I had the grey boxes. I just erased them for where I wanted to type, and left the rest in blank fields. Doubt that will matter much. Re-do it all?? That's a dose man!! Can you not do it on Open office?

You never know, it's like some employers throw out application forms when they're done in the wrong pen or if someone puts a tick where they shouldve put an X.

I did it on an application on a tablet, it's great for printing off but I had to enter text myself, instead of slapping it into the corresponding boxes.
    There's no way to copy n paste it.
    This will be a dose! But sure. Let that be a lesson for any Word-less future stage 4s!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

Interviews begin tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

I did it on an application on a tablet, it's great for printing off but I had to enter text myself, instead of slapping it into the corresponding boxes.
    There's no way to copy n paste it.
    This will be a dose! But sure. Let that be a lesson for any Word-less future stage 4s!
    This is your future career at stake. Go to an internet cafe. Fill it up on their machine and stop messing around.

• Advertisement

Good luck to those doing the interview tomorrow.
    Let us know how ye get on!

Just so Im absolutly clear. The form B is to be filled out and brough with you to interview along with letters of reference. It is to be signed by a garda on the day and not to be signed at a garda station. Is that correct?

Secondly are garda based interviews compentency based interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Does no one on here read the emails PAS sends them with all the instructions included??

I can imagine a situation where someone on here will be a guard on duty on the streets and someone reports a crime to them. They then go back to the station and start asking the sergeant what the person said to them.

Just so Im absolutly clear. The form B is to be filled out and brough with you to interview along with letters of reference. It is to be signed by a garda on the day and not to be signed at a garda station. Is that correct?

That is how it reads. But it also says 'filled out in full'.

So, it is not as clear as some people may assume. Ask your sergeant :p

Don't worry about it. They'll sort out your form when you get there.

• Advertisement

Well it will be surprising if i pass that! Bery hard i thought.

thekopend wrote: »
    Well it will be surprising if i pass that! Bery hard i thought.

Were you in there today too?
    I'm feeling so good it's over to be honest.
    It was hard alright, different to what I was expecting but sure we'll see. Could go either way.

Were you in there today too?
    I'm feeling so good it's over to be honest.
    It was hard alright, different to what I was expecting but sure we'll see. Could go either way.

Yea i was there around mid day there was a few sitting with me might have met u. They didnt spend too much time on examples and asked alot of other questions instead. Caught me on the hop for a few. Its hard to know but im not confident anyway. Was definitely different to what i was expecting. But its grand to have it over and done with. Atleased we will know in around 3 weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Yea i was there around mid day there was a few sitting with me might have met u. They didnt spend too much time on examples and asked alot of other questions instead. Caught me on the hop for a few. Its hard to know but im not confident anyway. Was definitely different to what i was expecting. But its grand to have it over and done with. Atleased we will know in around 3 weeks anyway.

what kind of other questions did they ask?

and

what kind of stuff caught you on the hop ?

Copaholic wrote: »
    what kind of other questions did they ask?

and

what kind of stuff caught you on the hop ?

If i told you that i would have to kill you :)

• Advertisement

:D
    If i told you that i would have to kill you :)

that might effect your vetting coming through at a later stage (LOL)

but I might risk it .

:D:D:D

Look prepare re the competencys they have stated, the rest is really up to yourself and your own experiences no matter what help/tips you get.

sound and thanks for the advice,

on another topic does anyone know how many are sitting interviews after stage 3 (first 500)

Never thought to ask that myself. Anyone know?

is there one interviewing board or 2 or 3

is there one interviewing board or 2 or 3

Well when i was waiting there was atleased 4 of us for the same time so there is at leased 4 if not 5 interview boards working at the same time.

if there are 5 boards each interviewing 7 people a day over about 10 days (results in 15 days (3 weeks) that works out at 350 (approx.)

At 4 boards they would interview 280.

So on average it might look like 300-330 (approx.)came through stage 3 from the first 500.

Would 30% (150) have failed stage 3 ?

ANY THOUGHTS ?

I was told initially over 50 per cent failed and then someone told me they asked how many were through and 125 got called to interview out of the first 500.
    My interview is tomorrow I'm bricking it so much I'm second thinking should I do it im terrified of it.

that appears to be very little getting through stage 3, but if they are the figures then that's the scenario.

regarding your interview, the way you are thinking is completely normal but others wont admit it.
    get a bit done tonight but don't burn the midnight oil, get a good nights sleep, read over your form on the way in tomorrow, don't read the stuff right up to interview, give yourself a break, clear your mind, focus on staying calm and just go in there with the job in hand.
    While in there listen carefully to what's been asked in the question, don't jump in with your reply. after each question wait for 3 seconds before you reply. other than that the very best of luck.

that appears to be very little getting through stage 3, but if they are the figures then that's the scenario.

regarding your interview, the way you are thinking is completely normal but others wont admit it.
    get a bit done tonight but don't burn the midnight oil, get a good nights sleep, read over your form on the way in tomorrow, don't read the stuff right up to interview, give yourself a break, clear your mind, focus on staying calm and just go in there with the job in hand.
    While in there listen carefully to what's been asked in the question, don't jump in with your reply. after each question wait for 3 seconds before you reply. other than that the very best of luck.

Thanks !!

I keep going to look at my form and stuff and then just put it down. Il look in a while il just av make myself :) I don't know what it is about this interview I would normally prepare myself so much better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement