Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AVPU

I'm on tomorrow. Will have a look at my examples tonight before bed, but what I have going for me is my background and being able to bring up scenario's. Good luck to all who have gone, and who have yet to go! Hopefully we will be having a few beers in the future eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

thekopend wrote: »
    Yea i was there around mid day there was a few sitting with me might have met u. They didnt spend too much time on examples and asked alot of other questions instead. Caught me on the hop for a few. Its hard to know but im not confident anyway. Was definitely different to what i was expecting. But its grand to have it over and done with. Atleased we will know in around 3 weeks anyway.

When I went in one other lad was waiting and I went straight in before him.

They mixed it up alright, it went all over the place. I felt like I messed up in some sections but sure.
    It'll be three agonising weeks. I'm gonna try put it out of my mind in the time being and work a bit on the overall fitness.
    Fingers crossed anyway

Well. Pretty sure I messed that right up. They asked things in a very confusing way. I tripped over my tongue many times. Doubt I did near enough! The two suits were hard to talk to, the inspector was very easy to talk to. We will see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

AVPU wrote: »
    Well. Pretty sure I messed that right up. They asked things in a very confusing way. I tripped over my tongue many times. Doubt I did near enough! The two suits were hard to talk to, the inspector was very easy to talk to. We will see how it goes.

Felt the very same after mine! But only failed by 3 points on 2 of competencies. Don't let it get to you. If u dont get through e-mail for a breakdown of the marking. And work on where u went wrong in it for the Next recruitment drive

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

what is the pass mark required for each competency, is 40%, 50% or 70% etc.
    any guidance much appreciated..

Copaholic wrote: »
    what is the pass mark required for each competency, is 40%, 50% or 70% etc.
    any guidance much appreciated..

Pass mark is 25 marks out of a maximum of 50 marks in each competency

OK , Pass mark is 50% for each competency and I assume you need to pass all competencies.

OK , Pass mark is 50% for each competency and I assume you need to pass all competencies.

Yes all 6 competencies! Brush up on yer skill words and how you'd use them in the Garda role! Start collecting all your info for vetting form so that your not sending most of the time ye have filling that out when you get it instead of preparing for interview!

best of luck to all sitting interviews this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Jesus I'm traumatised from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Padraigw

Did my interview last Wednesday, wasn't as bad as expected.. The panel were a lot friendlier than I was lead to believe before it.. Just be calm, confident and sit up straight, look them in the eyes and sell yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

How you get on?quote="Wannabegarda;97597751"]Jesus I'm traumatised from that![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

Did mine today. It was stressful enough but any interview is when you really want the position. They were very friendly and helpful throughout. I found it quite easy to speak with each of them.

Best of luck to anyone who has yet to do their interview. Have good examples for each competency and a back up example for each one too just incase. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmurr

Hi everybody, I'm not sure if anyone has said yet, but does anyone have a rough idea when the results will be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Interviews finished Friday. About 3 or 4 weeks. Don't panic about it. It's done we will get another crack at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

End of week or next week id say

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Just a quick question, currently doing my interview form... must you put down all the jobs you ever had on it ? or do you only put down jobs that are relevant to the role ? ive had 6 jobs since ive left school dont want to be writing the relevance out for all of them

Put down whatever you think relevant. When u doing interview? I thought they were over for first 500?

Results are out! Shocked to say i passed and low enough on the oom. They always said when u find an interview hard thats a good sign!!

End of the road for myself.
    Congrats to those who passed.
    Any idea how you can get your results to know what you failed on?
    To be honest I know which section it was I failed on. I can't imagine I failed bad though, bit of a surprise!

• Advertisement

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    End of the road for myself.
    Congrats to those who passed.
    Any idea how you can get your results to know what you failed on?
    To be honest I know which section it was I failed on. I can't imagine I failed bad though, bit of a surprise!

Sorry to hear! Id say you send them an email. I think the email is in the respondence we have been getting from them. What section do you think you failed on if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Padraigw

any idea when stage 5 will start?

Sorry to hear! Id say you send them an email. I think the email is in the respondence we have been getting from them. What section do you think you failed on if you dont mind me asking?

Personal effectiveness
    They asked me direct questions regarding it in the previous sections and I used my examples then by the time it got to it at the very end I had no examples left.
    So I just talked through it pulling examples out of memory which were probably weak or misinterpreted.

I'll see if I can get the markings anyway.

I won't depress ye anyway with my woes!
    Congratulations to ye and best of luck in the future

Padraigw wrote: »
    any idea when stage 5 will start?

I was told the next stages will be done swiftly and you should be prepared for the PCT being before Christmas.
    Seeing as results are out much sooner than expected this could well be true.
    I've already been working out and getting fit for it so it's best to start getting a sweat on.

Sorry to hear that Joey!! You going to go again kid??

I was sure I'd failed, but passed with good OOM! Shocked and happy. From tonight, cutting out the booze, and fatty foods and getting my Cork ass training properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

I passed...how does the order of merit work...it mentioned 889...is that where it starts for us? In that case im very happy with my oom

Same as you AVPU ill be starting training intensely tonight and cutting out the crap.

Condolences to those who have not made it, dont give up

The lower the OOM, the faster you'll be called for medical etc. I'm still in shock. Celebrating tonight with a few beers, and a cigar, so training will begin tomorrow!!

I was told the next stages will be done swiftly and you should be prepared for the PCT being before Christmas.
    Seeing as results are out much sooner than expected this could well be true.
    I've already been working out and getting fit for it so it's best to start getting a sweat on.

Crap iv more weight to lose. The stages have gone so fast! 1 and a half years from stage 1 to 2 and hardly 10 weeks from 2 to 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Put down whatever you think relevant. When u doing interview? I thought they were over for first 500?

thanks for the reply. Im doing mine early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerrygirl90

Hi All,

I am not sure if many of you are on this board still as I am aware yer interview results were out last week. Any of you have any words of advice for the interview?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Bopper88

Sorry if this has already been covered, what seems to be the average time between getting stage 3 results and sitting down for interview?

Bopper88 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been covered, what seems to be the average time between getting stage 3 results and sitting down for interview?

I got 10 days notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

I cant believe this, my scoring was outside the range on the Logical Reasoning test. So i'm not being considered for the next stage. Report writing and other exam both say 503. I can appeal this. This is ridiculous I didn't cheat on this. Says not verified for Logical Reasoning.

Hi All,

I am not sure if many of you are on this board still as I am aware yer interview results were out last week. Any of you have any words of advice for the interview?

Thanks in advance. :)

After requesting my results breakdown, I failed on commitment to the role.
    But what not to do can be good advice.

I'm amazed I failed there, it was my most confident section. My job and my qualifications I've gotten over the last few years were all for the role. I know it's a non issue for me or it shouldve been but I guess I focused too much on my weak sections (passing them) and didn't stress enough about how committed I am because my focus was else where.

So basically all I can say is don't take any section for granted. Work on your weaknesses but don't assume your strengths will show through without effort. You have to gloat without being arrogant. I guess I was being too timid and that cost me.

Hope that's a bit of help, good luck with it.

NickMondo wrote: »
    I cant believe this, my scoring was outside the range on the Logical Reasoning test. So i'm not being considered for the next stage. Report writing and other exam both say 503. I can appeal this. This is ridiculous I didn't cheat on this. Says not verified for Logical Reasoning.

Don't get mad about it and appeal.
    If you passed everything else you've a good chance at having another opportunity to verify your test. It's worked for other people.
    Just be diplomatic about it, remember they don't owe you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mark881988

I'm amazed I failed there, it was my most confident section. My job and my qualifications I've gotten over the last few years were all for the role. I know it's a non issue for me or it shouldve been but I guess I focused too much on my weak sections (passing them) and didn't stress enough about how committed I am because my focus was else where.

So basically all I can say is don't take any section for granted. Work on your weaknesses but don't assume your strengths will show through without effort. You have to gloat without being arrogant. I guess I was being too timid and that cost me.

How did you request your results breakdown? Did you ring or email them? I've emailed and had had no response from them.

just wondering, if you feel strongly enough that the competency you mention was your strong one, could you appeal the scoring of your interview on the basis that it was a strong competency and you supported this in the interview with your examples and fail to see how you could have not passed it ?.
    I believe that you should be given feedback from the board regarding how you did in the interview.

just wondering, if you feel strongly enough that the competency you mention was your strong one, could you appeal the scoring of your interview on the basis that it was a strong competency and you supported this in the interview with your examples and fail to see how you could have not passed it ?.
    I believe that you should be given feedback from the board regarding how you did in the interview.

Mark,
    I emailed info@pas hours after the results last week and only got the email back yesterday so it just takes time. I was going to ring them because I thought I may have had the wrong address but it just took a few days.

Honestly I don't know.
    I feel that it was probably my fault for not selling the facts well enough, you never know what exact way to go about an interview until after it's over.
    I've never heard of anyone appealing their interview before. Of course scoring is subjective and it's really down to the board's opinion.
    I'd love feedback from the board themselves to see why they thought I wasn't committed to the role.

The worst part is if I had just said a few extra sentences it could've made the difference, so it only makes it harder to swallow seeing I failed so narrowly.
    I might contact PAS again during the week and see if I have any options left.
    This after failing on lack of commitment, there's a sense of irony

Mark,
    I emailed info@pas hours after the results last week and only got the email back yesterday so it just takes time. I was going to ring them because I thought I may have had the wrong address but it just took a few days.

Honestly I don't know.
    I feel that it was probably my fault for not selling the facts well enough, you never know what exact way to go about an interview until after it's over.
    I've never heard of anyone appealing their interview before. Of course scoring is subjective and it's really down to the board's opinion.
    I'd love feedback from the board themselves to see why they thought I wasn't committed to the role.

The worst part is if I had just said a few extra sentences it could've made the difference, so it only makes it harder to swallow seeing I failed so narrowly.
    I might contact PAS again during the week and see if I have any options left.
    This after failing on lack of commitment, there's a sense of irony

it certainly is hard to swallow. I agree with you stating that the marking is subjective in interviews. regarding the online tests the answers are either right or wrong and there is little or no ambiguity . However with these competency based interviews there is less clarity regarding the marking. in addition you can study and study for an interview, have your examples ready but once in the interview things can start unravelling and if you go down in one competency then its curtins.

Regarding appealing I don't even know if there is a procedure to follow but feedback specific to your interview would be beneficial. However my own experience of feedback is that it not specific enough to build on going forward and is too general.

by the way who is Mark.

• Advertisement

it certainly is hard to swallow. I agree with you stating that the marking is subjective in interviews. regarding the online tests the answers are either right or wrong and there is little or no ambiguity . However with these competency based interviews there is less clarity regarding the marking. in addition you can study and study for an interview, have your examples ready but once in the interview things can start unravelling and if you go down in one competency then its curtins.

Regarding appealing I don't even know if there is a procedure to follow but feedback specific to your interview would be beneficial. However my own experience of feedback is that it not specific enough to build on going forward and is too general.

by the way who is Mark.

There really is no clarity. It isn't even clear what their definitions of those competencies are, maybe each interviewer could have their own definitions. There's no way of telling, it seems to be just a roll of the dice.

Hopefully I might get some useful information. I'd just like to put it to bed at least.

Mark posted just before you.

What's your own situation if you don't mind me asking? Did you fail an interview before too?

I simply know an individual who failed in the past and as you put it, it does appear to be a roll of the dice and as a result a nasty manner to be put out of a campaign.
    from the point of view of an interviewee it is impossible to know what way marks can be scored and easily one can get thrown by the manner in which a question is asked and at the same time not really knowing what is the answer they are looking for.
    Competency based interviews appear to be well founded in the theory but how they are applied is completely different and the marking/ scoring mechanism is completely shrouded in mystery and the question begs to be answered as to why is that. You should be able to establish what you scored on and what was required to be stated where you lost out on.
    In addition I have noted that nobody goes into any detail on what exactly they were asked possibly because they may be asked to do so and also individuals don't want to give a percieved advantage to someone else yet to go in but this in itself adds to the mystery and because of this nobody knows if the interview line of questioning is consistent or not.
    In addition there is no verification of the examples which individuals use for their competencies and so some may use really good examples of events they were not involved in but which they have sufficient knowledge of to answer questions.
    Some individuals are completely shocked when they hear they have passed and by the same token others are completely shocked when they fail. the question then needs to be asked as to how can one who is shocked that they passed be unaware that they were consistently giving more right answers than wrong answers and vice versa how can someone that is shocked they failed be unaware they were consistently giving more wrong answers than right answers.
    All in all I feal that that the competency based interview is a weak link in the recruitment campaign as it lacks clarity, objectiveness and transparency and is a complete grey area compared to the other tests.

I simply know an individual who failed in the past and as you put it, it does appear to be a roll of the dice and as a result a nasty manner to be put out of a campaign.
    from the point of view of an interviewee it is impossible to know what way marks can be scored and easily one can get thrown by the manner in which a question is asked and at the same time not really knowing what is the answer they are looking for.
    Competency based interviews appear to be well founded in the theory but how they are applied is completely different and the marking/ scoring mechanism is completely shrouded in mystery and the question begs to be answered as to why is that. You should be able to establish what you scored on and what was required to be stated where you lost out on.
    In addition I have noted that nobody goes into any detail on what exactly they were asked possibly because they may be asked to do so and also individuals don't want to give a percieved advantage to someone else yet to go in but this in itself adds to the mystery and because of this nobody knows if the interview line of questioning is consistent or not.
    In addition there is no verification of the examples which individuals use for their competencies and so some may use really good examples of events they were not involved in but which they have sufficient knowledge of to answer questions.
    Some individuals are completely shocked when they hear they have passed and by the same token others are completely shocked when they fail. the question then needs to be asked as to how can one who is shocked that they passed be unaware that they were consistently giving more right answers than wrong answers and vice versa how can someone that is shocked they failed be unaware they were consistently giving more wrong answers than right answers.
    All in all I feal that that the competency based interview is a weak link in the recruitment campaign as it lacks clarity, objectiveness and transparency and is a complete grey area compared to the other tests.

That's what I've been considering as I've thought about reapplying.
    I'm confident that I can get to the interview again, but if I do I could say word for word the exact same only changing where I failed and make sure it doesn't happen again and could fail what I previously passed on.
    Chances are if I got a different board, maybe just one different board member I'd be doing my medical now.

Personally I had a good interview. I spoke well, had all my documents in front of me, kept nerves to a minimum and looked well informed. I've had bad interviews in the past and this definitely was not one of them.

The whole campaign is a huge commitment and to have the end result down to just chance makes it very difficult for someone to dedicate themselves again. I'm not a gambler and the process cost me a lot of time, effort and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hard luck Joey, and others,

Hopefully ye can apply again and go all the way, dont be disheartened eventhough I know its prob hard not to!

all the best!

the reality is that for those who really want to join AGS and regardless of how many times you fall off and regardless of how hard the fall is you will need to just pick yourself up again and keep trying so best of luck to all.

the reality is that for those who really want to join AGS and regardless of how many times you fall off and regardless of how hard the fall is you will need to just pick yourself up again and keep trying so best of luck to all.

What about yourself?
    Have you gone through the campaign?

• Advertisement

not myself but watching some I know go through it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 avm88

Hi guys, have my interview coming up in early December.....if I get through it anyone have an idea of how long we will be waiting for medical and pct? I'm assuming we should have interview results before Christmas and Medical in Jan at the earliest? Anyone else get an interview date?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 itsjustme85

avm88 wrote: »
    Hi guys, have my interview coming up in early December.....if I get through it anyone have an idea of how long we will be waiting for medical and pct? I'm assuming we should have interview results before Christmas and Medical in Jan at the earliest? Anyone else get an interview date?

Did you do interview this week? I was there Thursday, lady from HQ said interviews are going on up until 16th Dec so results may not even be out before Christmas, that's just cruel! She also said medical will be vey soon after

• Registered Users Posts: 8 1eyedcat

Has anyone's references been called regards the Garda vetting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 avm88

I don't think mine have received any call as of yet - have yours?

• Advertisement
Advertisement