Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 user0

timwynne wrote: »
    From what I have read of my other halfs form, no competencies should be included on the interview form

It is merely for you to outline your education, skills and work experience

this is NOT 2006/7 - it is an entirely new way of doing things

it asks for you to outline experience relevant to garda role though? would that not be based on competencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

user0 wrote: »
    it asks for you to outline experience relevant to garda role though? would that not be based on competencies?

In the last recruitment it was clearly outlined that they wanted a rundown of competencies. it was set out in a template

this year is not expected on your form this time around - it even states BEFORE THE INTERVIEW 'the interview form requires information including details of your educational qualifications/training and employments history'.

the competencies are outlined under the heading THE INTERVIEW

outlining competencies could be seen as jumping the gun and could serve to be counter productive to the clarity and simplicity of the interview form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Earliest interview is May 1st. Not sure of the latest but I know of two people who have theirs on the 14th.

I agree, if they wanted examples of the competencies they would have put a section in the form for it. Right now they want to know what you've done with your life to date. At interview, you'll be asked for the examples of the competencies so have them ready for that. Speaking of the competencies, I'm unsure as to what exactly they mean by the competency "Personal Effectiveness"...thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Earliest interview is May 1st. Not sure of the latest but I know of two people who have theirs on the 14th.

I agree, if they wanted examples of the competencies they would have put a section in the form for it. Right now they want to know what you've done with your life to date. At interview, you'll be asked for the examples of the competencies so have them ready for that. Speaking of the competencies, I'm unsure as to what exactly they mean by the competency "Personal Effectiveness"...thoughts anyone?

Yeah, that one threw me too. I would hazard a guess that it means how well you can get a task done, and how quickly you can do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

It's a very simple form with very simple instructions. I'll be answering the questions they are asking on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

It's a very simple form with very simple instructions. I'll be answering the questions they are asking on it.

Amen sister

Out of a matter of interest, how much are people filling in for the work experience boxes. Are you keeping it short and concise, or are ye elaborating a bit more?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

Please note that user Raider190 has been permanently banned from this forum for continuing to break several Charter rules. Any comment addressed to him in this forum are comments that he will not see and will not be able to reply to.

Please also note that you may not reply to any of his previous posts, as this advisory post is proof that we (the forum Moderators) have heard you, and we did the thing we hate doing the most, and that is banning a user forever.

Finally, it is only fair that you know that this was a gradual process. He was given warnings, infractions and then temporary bans, along with a very long and affable PM from me advising him on 'best practice' boards.ie etiquette, but this was, unfortunately, fruitless. We take banning someone very seriously, but we always put this forum first, and we believe this action was in the best interests of the forum.

Please do not reply or comment on this Moderator post, and again, please do comment on any of Raider190's posts, as he will be unable to see your post, and will be unable to answer or defend himself.

Thank you for reading.
    Shield, Turner, Hooch and KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

that form is doing my head in - Its full of info but i reckon i am giving too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

The form is scant on detail which makes it more difficult to fill out. Another issue is what if your a school leaver or unemployed for a long period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

I know how you feel, completing it at the moment, trying to keep it short and to the point and then plan to elaborate at interview.

Does anyone know does immediate family include aunts, uncles and cousins or is it just parents brothers and sisters?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Hank26 wrote: »
    I know how you feel, completing it at the moment, trying to keep it short and to the point and then plan to elaborate at interview.

Does anyone know does immediate family include aunts, uncles and cousins or is it just parents brothers and sisters?

Where does it say about putting family down??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

I reckon a word count of roughly 1,500 is ideal ? Any thoughts on this anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Immediate family would usually be parents, siblings and your children

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Where does it say about putting family down??

It doesn't, but I'm trying to get information together if I'm successful at interview. The familiarisation material states that there will be a quick turnaround for stage 5.

• Advertisement

It doesn't, but I'm trying to get information together if I'm successful at interview. The familiarisation material states that there will be a quick turnaround for stage 5.

Oh yeah i saw that. You gave me a mini heart attack i thought i was missing forms 😊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

The form is scant on detail which makes it more difficult to fill out. Another issue is what if your a school leaver or unemployed for a long period of time?

I was unemployed but still attended fas, obair courses and worked in a shop at weekends so I'm sure if you were unemployed you'd have something to write down. Also nowadays I'm sure a lot of candidates have spent time unemployed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

jamesr123 wrote: »
    I was unemployed but still attended fas, obair courses and worked in a shop at weekends so I'm sure if you were unemployed you'd have something to write down. Also nowadays I'm sure a lot of candidates have spent time unemployed ?

Surely they are expecting that they will have unemployed candidates. It would be unrealistic I they didn't.

I'm more worried that being a student I've only held 2 "real" jobs. One being a nightclub rep which I wouldn't really count.

Gaps in your CV shouldnt be a problem if they were used constructively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Immediate family = parents, siblings, children (yours if any), aunts, uncles, first cousins. If there is a section for your partner it's the same.

• Advertisement

BRB wrote: »
    Surely they are expecting that they will have unemployed candidates. It would be unrealistic I they didn't.

I'm more worried that being a student I've only held 2 "real" jobs. One being a nightclub rep which I wouldn't really count.

Don't worry. The jobs bit isn't a test. If you've done fas/obair courses just put them in. If you've only had one or two jobs that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

For the final piece, "Additional Relevant Information", are people listing information/achievements or writing a paragraph/personal statement.

As previous posts have said, it's quite vague and general, so I'm assuming it's fairly open to our own interpretation...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

djor88 wrote: »
    For the final piece, "Additional Relevant Information", are people listing information/achievements or writing a paragraph/personal statement.

As previous posts have said, it's quite vague and general, so I'm assuming it's fairly open to our own interpretation...

Im not sure if they are going to want to read through a personal statement telling them how great i am. I would imagine the just want a simple list of achievments and they will then go into detail on these during the interview. I may be wrong on this though

Chirper wrote: »
    Im not sure if they are going to want to read through a personal statement telling them how great i am. I would imagine the just want a simple list of achievments and they will then go into detail on these during the interview. I may be wrong on this though

I'd tend to agree with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Lmklad wrote: »
    Immediate family = parents, siblings, children (yours if any), aunts, uncles, first cousins. If there is a section for your partner it's the same.

I thought cousins didn't count ? Only uncles and aunts. I also heard many times that excluding your parents its unlikely family having convictions could effect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Are people gonna print out this application form and bring it with them to the interview?

Carroller wrote: »
    Are people gonna print out this application form and bring it with them to the interview?

If it goes like my interview - they will disregard everything written down!

If it goes like my interview - they will disregard everything written down!

Uh oh. What happened exactly?

Rothmans wrote: »
    Uh oh. What happened exactly?

just a method of putting a candidate under pressure!

just a method of putting a candidate under pressure!

Out of interest. What curveballs did they throw at ya?

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Out of interest. What curveballs did they throw at ya?

hard to remember specifics but I had lot of 'please outline ANOTHER example'

For employment history - how many years/jobs should i provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 How banal...

WilcoOut wrote: »
    For employment history - how many years/jobs should i provide?

As per the Interview Form; "Ensure that you detail all relevant work experience."

Give a broad overview of all the related experience/jobs you have had, the ones that you will refer to during the interview to showcase the relevant skills. Keep it succinct but ensure to list all the jobs which you have gained valuable skills in - imagine harping on in the interview about a job not listed...wouldn't fancy that!

It doesnt say you can edit the form though so id be careful. I wouldnt be adding in boxes without confirming it

• Registered Users Posts: 10 How banal...

With the exception of the Career History section; "Continue with additional career history in the same format". I've added to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

It doesnt say you can edit the form though so id be careful. I wouldnt be adding in boxes without confirming it

You HAVE to be able to edit it! How can you type anything in it without clicking "Enable editing"?

newmug wrote: »
    You HAVE to be able to edit it! How can you type anything in it without clicking "Enable editing"?

Ya obviously but not adding in new sections and extra bits. i'd confirm it with PAS if i was anyway thats for sure.

hard to remember specifics but I had lot of 'please outline ANOTHER example'

If that continued for 40 minutes it will be one "interesting" interview!

Side note: My form is looking very...empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Ya obviously but not adding in new sections and extra bits. i'd confirm it with PAS if i was anyway thats for sure.

I don't see the problem in adding in extra bits if this is the only way it allows you insert relevant information in a presentable fashion.

• Advertisement

If that continued for 40 minutes it will be one "interesting" interview!

Side note: My form is looking very...empty.

Mines far from brimming with info but I have all boxes ticked so to speak

iv given them what they asked for

Mines far from brimming with info but I have all boxes ticked so to speak

iv given them what they asked for

Well there are two boxes I can't even complete due to the fact I'm still doing my degree, so thats number 3 incomplete and "Other training/courses" would that be the likes of lifesaving qualifications and ECDL? Because I've thrown those into section 6.

Well there are two boxes I can't even complete due to the fact I'm still doing my degree, so thats number 3 incomplete and "Other training/courses" would that be the likes of lifesaving qualifications and ECDL? Because I've thrown those into section 6.

I have them in section 4

section 6 i have other things that arnt training quals but more relevant experience

I have them in section 4

section 6 i have other things that arnt training quals but more relevant experience

Grand! I'll switch those round. Cheers

jamesr123 wrote: »
    I thought cousins didn't count ? Only uncles and aunts. I also heard many times that excluding your parents its unlikely family having convictions could effect you.

Unfortunately regardless of what you've heard what I've said is what it means.

If anyone is having issues understanding something on the application/form, please ring PAS. Don't take what you read here as gospel. Better to find out yourself from an official sorce than to mess it up

-KERSPLAT!

• Advertisement

Lmklad wrote: »
    Unfortunately regardless of what you've heard what I've said is what it means.

Cousins wouldn't be counted as an immediate family member.
    It is, under normal circumstances, your mother/father/siblings. Extended family is then your cousins/aunts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Cousins wouldn't be counted as an immediate family member.
    It is, under normal circumstances, your mother/father/siblings. Extended family is then your cousins/aunts etc.

In the last Garda recruitment drives, for backround checks, you had to give names, addresses and PPS numbers of immediate family members, which included Parents, Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins.

billie1b wrote: »
    In the last Garda recruitment drives, for backround checks, you had to give names, addresses and PPS numbers of immediate family members, which included Parents, Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins.

I have 5 aunts and 5 uncles, not including their spouses, I have about 35-40 cousins... that would be a nightmare!!! :D

billie1b wrote: »

Well as Kersplat said, I'll be ringing PAS to clarify what they mean by immediate family as people seem to have different definitions.

But we dont have to provide that info now do we??

• Advertisement
Advertisement