Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

But we dont have to provide that info now do we??

Nope. Only if you advance past the interview stage! But they said we'll only have a short notice, 7 days, to fill it out and hand it into your local station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I have 5 aunts and 5 uncles, not including their spouses, I have about 35-40 cousins... that would be a nightmare!!! :D

Your near as bad as myself, 1 brother, 3 sisters, 19 nieces/nephews, 14 Aunts and 3 Uncles and that doesn't include spouses either or cousins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

billie1b wrote: »
    Your near as bad as myself, 1 brother, 3 sisters, 19 nieces/nephews, 14 Aunts and 3 Uncles and that doesn't include spouses either or cousins :D

I hope to god i have to fill them all out :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

In the last Garda recruitment drives, for backround checks, you had to give names, addresses and PPS numbers of immediate family members, which included Parents, Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins.

sure there's 12 on my fathers side I hardly see. I haven't got their addresses let alone their pps numbers.

How people are expected to get all that information is unbelievable.

jamesr123 wrote: »
    sure there's 12 on my fathers side I hardly see. I haven't got their addresses let alone their pps numbers.

How people are expected to get all that information is unbelievable.

Easy

pick up the phone and get dialling

" Marge, give me your address book, four beers, and my conversation hat."

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Easy

pick up the phone and get dialling

" Marge, give me your address book, four beers, and my conversation hat."

not as easy as that for me I'm afraid. Also, given you could still fail at that point. I hardly want the entire family to know until I'm actually in the uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

not as easy as that for me I'm afraid. Also, given you could still fail at that point. I hardly want the entire family to know until I'm actually in the uniform.

Tell them it's for another role besides AGS, plenty of jobs do vetting etc,

:)

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Tell them it's for another role besides AGS, plenty of jobs do vetting etc,

:)

Tracing the family tree....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

if you pass the interview you will HAVE to provide the info

also, if you pass the interview, your more or less in

timwynne wrote: »

2 interviews, right?

Although I get the impression the interview with the local super is more formality rather than a failing point??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

2 interviews, right?

Although I get the impression the interview with the local super is more formality rather than a failing point??

the interview with PAS is the big one

everything after is more formality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

2 interviews, right?

Nobody said anything about 2 interviews!?!?!? And fcuk no, you still have to pass background checks (which your relatives could affect), medicals and fitness!

the interview with PAS is the big one

everything after is more formality

I suppose you need some kind of report or approval from the local super though? or can you still continue despite his opinion? A

As you say you passed the 'big interview' at that stage like.

newmug wrote: »
    Nobody said anything about 2 interviews!?!?!? And fcuk no, you still have to pass background checks (which your relatives could affect), medicals and fitness!

I know it's a nightmare when you add it up like that. I suppose take it one challenge after another :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I'm clean in this regard but I think that it is an absolute disgrace that your families' history would effect your eligibility in this day and age. Everyone is their own person.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

In 3rd level qualifications section it asks for "Subject(s) in Final Exam". I sat 10 subjects in my final exam... so if I list all 10 the format of the table looks terrible. Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions on what others are doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I changed the size of the columns so that it looks a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

I changed the size of the columns so that it looks a bit better.

Yep done that also. Looks fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

2 interviews, right?

Where does it say that we need to meet with / be interviewed by our local super.? I don't remember seeing that in the reading material :-/ Thanks.

Where does it say that we need to meet with / be interviewed by our local super.? I don't remember seeing that in the reading material :-/ Thanks.

That was certainly in the old process

not sure if it is in the new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

For people who were wondering, I emailed publicjobs,

'The list of family members you need to consider are your immediate family members, aunts, uncles, cousins and those of your partner or spouse.'

Seems pointless as I have nothing to do with most of my cousins but nonetheless, it's what they want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

teaisgreat wrote: »
    For people who were wondering, I emailed publicjobs,

'The list of family members you need to consider are your immediate family members, aunts, uncles, cousins and those of your partner or spouse.'

Seems pointless as I have nothing to do with most of my cousins but nonetheless, it's what they want!

Christ that's a pain, not only your own family but that of your girlfriend/wife. It'd take me weeks to get that information and I'm not even sure if they'd all give it to me! Too much IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Christ that's a pain, not only your own family but that of your girlfriend/wife. It'd take me weeks to get that information and I'm not even sure if they'd all give it to me! Too much IMO.

It is a pain, my girlfiends family all live in Europe, in different countries. I hope it wouldn't be needed for them.

It is a pain, my girlfiends family all live in Europe, in different countries. I hope it wouldn't be needed for them.

I would hope that common sense prevails and they realise that some people can't get all the information that's needed

When does the form have to be in by? Or do you just bring it to the interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Sure just break up with her for 6 weeks and then get back with her and treat her when your arse is on a seat in Templemore . Avoid the background checks that way.
    Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

I would hope that common sense prevails and they realise that some people can't get all the information that's needed

The form only has to be completed if you pass the interview. However, they said you'll only get 7 days notice to hand it into your local station

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Sure just break up with her for 6 weeks and then get back with her and treat her when your arse is on a seat in Templemore . Avoid the background checks that way.
    Simples

Sure I do that for her birthday and at Christmas, to avoid getting her presents... I'm sure she'll understand.... :D

I hope common sense prevails and everyone on here realises that you must supply the relevant info

you are going to be joining the national security force and the necessary background checks and due dilligence need to be carried out

so get on it and stop yer whinging!!

Any GR on here should have everything already on their BR form. Sittin pretty!

I hope common sense prevails and everyone on here realises that you must supply the relevant info

you are going to be joining the national security force and the necessary background checks and due dilligence need to be carried out

so get on it and stop yer whinging!!

Any GR on here should have everything already on their BR form. Sittin pretty!

I'm already out, it makes no odds to me, it doesn't change the fact that I think it's ridiculous to have to supply the address and pps of a girfriends cousins, uncles, etc

Also please bear in mind that we are all entitled to our opinion and this thread is to be used for discussion of the application process. If you don't want to read the discussion, don't read the thread

I'm already out, it makes no odds to me, it doesn't change the fact that I think it's ridiculous to have to supply the address and pps of a girfriends cousins, uncles, etc

Also please bear in mind that we are all entitled to our opinion and this thread is to be used for discussion of the application process. If you don't want to read the discussion, don't read the thread

Im offering my opinion just like you are kersplat

the fact remains, a background check is essential and necessary so everyone should accept it and get on with it

its an entirely reasonable request and I as a citizen am delighted these checks are carried out and i would view somebody who fudges it with suspicion

the fact remains, a background check is essential and necessary so everyone should accept it and get on with it

its an entirely reasonable request and I as a citizen am delighted these checks are carried out and i would view somebody who fudges it with suspicion
    I strongly disagree I've around 40 cousins altogether. How do you convince people to hand over that info? I certaintly wouldn't give essentially strangers my pps number etc... uncle,aunts,siblings,parents fair enough but this is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Does anyone realise we have an interview to do yet. Wouldnt ye be better off studying and worrying about that in over a months time when/if we get the forms??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

'In anticipation of progressing to Stage 5, you will need to consider compiling a list of names, dates of birth, occupations and addresses of all your immediate relatives and those of you spouse/ civil partner/ partner'

I believe this is a reasonable request, as long as you don't also have to supply PPS numbers.
    Collecting the above mentioned details shouldn't pose too much of a problem, even with relatives living abroad.
    However, it would be extremely unfair that the actions of a relative that you have never met or spoken to could ruin your application.

Hank26 wrote: »
    However, it would be extremely unfair that the actions of a relative that you have never met or spoken to could ruin your application.

I reckon they'll judge it on how many in the family have been in trouble. so if you have 5 in the family and 5 have been in trouble then I reckon you'll be fecked..

I strongly disagree I've around 40 cousins altogether. How do you convince people to hand over that info? I certaintly wouldn't give essentially strangers my pps number etc... uncle,aunts,siblings,parents fair enough but this is a joke.

I have a large clan too and i know theyd be happy to hand over info for such a cause as this

but anyway

it has to be done

Telling people to stop whinging isn't an opinion. We'll leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Telling people to stop whinging isn't an opinion.

Decent advice though

I have already compiled the vast bulk of names and addresses

My father has a great recollection of birthdays thankfully

lets hope I get the chance to submit them

Scouser wrote: »
    Decent advice though

I have already compiled the vast bulk of names and addresses

My father has a great recollection of birthdays thankfully

lets hope I get the chance to submit them

are people here confident they will be able to provide every name and address of family members..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Damofitz

Hi All - Quick Question! I'm trying to find out the latest time the applications have to be in by. The letter says "by Friday 25th April", I rang pub appts to check that that meant up to 11.59pm on 25th April. The girl at pub appts is advising candidates get their applications in before midnight tonight to be safe. Anyone know for sure?

Damofitz wrote: »
    Hi All - Quick Question! I'm trying to find out the latest time the applications have to be in by. The letter says "by Friday 25th April", I rang pub appts to check that that meant up to 11.59pm on 25th April. The girl at pub appts is advising candidates get their applications in before midnight tonight to be safe. Anyone know for sure?

U rang Pas

they gave you an answer

your still asking

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Damofitz

they gave you an answer

your still asking

Let me Clarify the girl wasnt sure when they were due, she said she thinks its 11:59 tomorrow but she'd advise we get them in tonight? Thats ridiculous in my mind, they should be 100% on when they have to be in. This is unacceptabel after the mess up earlier this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 whysosirius

Just received the background check form and it needs to be brought to the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Just received the background check form and it needs to be brought to the interview

Yep got it there. Lot of information needed and for some with very little notice. Parents, siblings, aunts and uncles of applicant and spouse/partner - their name d.o.b, occupation and address is the info required for each. Thankfully no mention of cousins. Lot of rehashing of the interview form too (school results, work experiences etc). Will get interview form done tonight and then work on this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Yep got it there. Lot of information needed and for some with very little notice. Parents, siblings, aunts and uncles of applicant and spouse/partner - their name d.o.b, occupation and address is the info required for each. Thankfully no mention of cousins. Lot of rehashing of the interview form too (school results, work experiences etc). Will get interview form done tonight and then work on this one!!

Does interview form have to be in by midnight tonight???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

They sure must be confident in the batch they'rd bringing forward to interview if they're jumping the gun like this :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Mother of God.
    Both my mother and father have 12 siblings each.
    This is going to be some job.
    Lucky they don't ask for first cousins, I've over seventy of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Mother of God.
    Both my mother and father have 12 siblings each.
    This is going to be some job.
    Lucky they don't ask for first cousins, I've over seventy of those.

Oh jeez poor you! Thats crazy hard work. Luckily I have a tiny family & kept my form from when I joined the reserves so I'm all done :) Time to sit back & crack open a beer I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Ugh, all this paperwork with this new form as well.

That said though, it's probably good foreshadowing for the amount of paperwork on the job!

Yep got it there. Lot of information needed and for some with very little notice. Parents, siblings, aunts and uncles of applicant and spouse/partner - their name d.o.b, occupation and address is the info required for each. Thankfully no mention of cousins.

Thank god for that.

12 on the fathers side but only 2 on the mothers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

What address should I put for dead people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

I have nothing filled in section 3 regarding third level education, I did a course for a year after school but did not complete it, should I leave blank or put it in? Also do I have to put in my girlfriends aunt and uncles on the other for or do her siblings , mother and father suffice?

Advertisement