Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Hahahahaaaaa

The back of the Helix !

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Interviews starting today ?

Best of luck to everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Interviews starting today ?

Best of luck to everyone :)

im glad your all going before me as ill be a hard act to follow ;)

Best of luck boys and girls

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Best of luck with interviews guys :) hopefully ill be called for stage 3 some stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

WilcoOut wrote: »
    im glad your all going before me as ill be a hard act to follow ;)

Best of luck boys and girls

Please tell me you're after the 14th, almighty WilcoOut.....

BRB wrote: »
    Please tell me you're after the 14th, almighty WilcoOut.....

All will be revealed in the coming weeks my child......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

WilcoOut wrote: »
    All will be revealed in the coming weeks my child......

I'm more concerned about the people that are not on here than those who are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShadowLFC

Hey was wondering if anybody can give me some info on the issue of tattoos. I have a bit of writing that is still visable even while wearing a long sleeve shirt. I know they said in the orientation that your allowed tattoos as long as they arent visable, anyone know would this be an automatic fail or would i be given a chance to get rid of it if i got in?

• Site Banned Posts: 21 King of Pork

ShadowLFC wrote: »
    Hey was wondering if anybody can give me some info on the issue of tattoos. I have a bit of writing that is still visable even while wearing a long sleeve shirt. I know they said in the orientation that your allowed tattoos as long as they arent visable, anyone know would this be an automatic fail or would i be given a chance to get rid of it if i got in?

Sounds bad. Where exactly is it and what does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Best of luck to anyone who has their interview today :)

• Advertisement

If you're tattoos are on your neck/hands, I'd say you're better off ringing hq and asking them yourself. Can't imagine they would take that sort of thing lightly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

If it's not a huge area you could always talk to a professional make up artist and get the tattoos concealed. And if you do get into the guards, then you can always get them removed afterwards. Alternatively, wear a wrist bandage that covers your hand also, and tell them you sprained your wrist playing hurling or something like that. Something like that should work in the short term for you anyway.

Sounds bad. Where exactly is it and what does it say?

It says "You'll Never Walk Alone" in small writing down the back of my forearm and the last few letters are visable. I got it 7 years ago and id hate to get rejected because of that!

Archer3083 wrote: »
    If it's not a huge area you could always talk to a professional make up artist and get the tattoos concealed. And if you do get into the guards, then you can always get them removed afterwards. Alternatively, wear a wrist bandage that covers your hand also, and tell them you sprained your wrist playing hurling or something like that. Something like that should work in the short term for you anyway.

Ye people keep telling me too cover them up but I wouldnt feel comfortable doing something like that when going for a position like this, also I would imagine they would find it during the medical even if i did try to cover it up:/

Ye people keep telling me too cover them up but I wouldnt feel comfortable doing something like that when going for a position like this, also I would imagine they would find it during the medical even if i did try to cover it up:/
    You're presuming that the medical doctor will know that you're not supposed to have a tattoo. I'm guessing the doctor will be there to make sure that you're medically fit to undertake your duties, and he probably will ignore the tattoo. If you get into Templemore you have over 30 weeks to get rid of it before you start active duty in your training station. What's your other choice, give up now? That's not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

You're presuming that the medical doctor will know that you're not supposed to have a tattoo. I'm guessing the doctor will be there to make sure that you're medically fit to undertake your duties, and he probably will ignore the tattoo. If you get into Templemore you have over 30 weeks to get rid of it before you start active duty in your training station. What's your other choice, give up now? That's not an option.

No. The doctor will note any scars or tattoos and mark a X on the spot on a piece of paper similar to this .

But for the interview try cover up or if asked state it's your intention to have it removed.

Ye my intention is to remove it if I do get accepted, im most definitely not giving up, was just curious as to my options. Being up front about it is probably the best thing and hope that they will give me the time while in the college to get it removed. Thanks for the info guys

Did anyone go to interview preparation day that career services ran in Dublin yesterday? Was it any good? It didn't sound great so I steered clear.

Any feedback?

Easy?

Tough?

Hell on earth?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Did anyone go to interview preparation day that career services ran in Dublin yesterday? Was it any good? It didn't sound great so I steered clear.

Very good. Well worth it and should stand to all the attenders

Santa Cruz wrote: »

I heard the contrary in fact.

I heard the contrary in fact.

It mightn't be for everyone but it had more positive relevant points than other.

It mightn't be for everyone but it had more positive relevant points than other.

You might have been taken in by it I suppose. Self validation can lead to that. I heard from my brother's mate that some people walked out before the end it was that useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

How would they know anything about the new interview format?

Its a racket is all. Money for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Hi I was just wondering what are the competencies that they used to ask in the old interview format?

• Advertisement

timwynne wrote: »
    How would they know anything about the new interview format?

Its a racket is all. Money for nothing

If you want an excuse for not attending it's easy to take that attitude.
    People organising these courses do have the ability to speak with the employers to establish what format an interview process will take. I really wonder about your closed minded approach.

You might have been taken in by it I suppose. Self validation can lead to that. I heard from my brother's mate that some people walked out before the end it was that useless.

From your brothers mate? Oh he must be right so.

From your brothers mate? Oh he must be right so.

Yeah he was there and I spoke to him. They're both through to this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mod

Just a reminder. Please use the report post function, it helps us mods catch the trolls, etc

Cheers :)

-KERSPLAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

Hi everyone,having passed stage 3 and being placed in the 180's I was very optimistic and enthuasiastic about my application.

Unfortunately due to a severe change in my personal/family circumstances if I were to be successful an interview,BR,pct etc and did eventually get a place in templemore I wouldnt know for certain if i-d be able to stick out the course and would likely have to drop out at short notice.

Therefore as from tomorrow I will be withdrawing my application formally as I would hate to be denying someone else a place if I got accepted only to drop out at a later stage.

I would just like to wish everyone who has been successful enough to make it this far the best of luck with their applications and to wish you well for the future but as they say on Dragons Den,

And for those reasons..................IM OUT!

Steven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

coolbond wrote: »
    Hi everyone,having passed stage 3 and being placed in the 180's I was very optimistic and enthuasiastic about my application.

Unfortunately due to a severe change in my personal/family circumstances if I were to be successful an interview,BR,pct etc and did eventually get a place in templemore I wouldnt know for certain if i-d be able to stick out the course and would likely have to drop out at short notice.

Therefore as from tomorrow I will be withdrawing my application formally as I would hate to be denying someone else a place if I got accepted only to drop out at a later stage.

I would just like to wish everyone who has been successful enough to make it this far the best of luck with their applications and to wish you well for the future but as they say on Dragons Den,

And for those reasons..................IM OUT!

Steven

That's very a very considerate thing to do. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Back to the interview, I would think that there won't be a huge amount of info coming through due to the very small amount of people being interviewed, and everyone will be fairly tight-lipped for this campaign given the competition. Although hopefully I'm completely mistaken :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Relieved to have it over with. I won't be posting any details as it's against the rules of the campaign and also it'd be unfair to everyone who was interviewed today. I'm happy with my performance anyway, fingers crossed now till the results are out.

Best of luck to everyone still to be interviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Relieved to have it over with. I won't be posting any details as it's against the rules of the campaign and also it'd be unfair to everyone who was interviewed today. I'm happy with my performance anyway, fingers crossed now till the results are out.

Well done, good luck!

Fair play! I wish you all the best. I'd say it's a nice feeling to be happy with your performance.

Congrats :) did they mention how long you'd be waiting for results or anything else related?

Great stuff. And you're right not to post any details etc, as it would be very unfair on yourself and others who have earlier interviews. Hopefully you'll be hearing good news soon!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Results "before the end of the month" which could be anytime in the next 30 days really but I'd imagine they'll wait till everyone has been interviewed before giving out results.

Results "before the end of the month" which could be anytime in the next 30 days really but I'd imagine they'll wait till everyone has been interviewed before giving out results.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see if they send them out individually or altogether... Any mention on what order of merit they are using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Yeah it'll be interesting to see if they send them out individually or altogether... Any mention on what order of merit they are using?

They will all be given out together, because they create the panel from here and you will be placed in order of merit. Best person, first in!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Shifty13 wrote: »
    They will all be given out together, because they create the panel from here and you will be placed in order of merit. Best person, first in!

But are they scoring the interview and using that as the order of merit or will it go on Stage 3 results. In previous campaigns the aptitude test was used for order of merit.. thus whoever finished first in stage 3 will be the first through the door provided they pass interview and everything else. As far as I am aware this is how will run. I believe the interview is straight pass or fail. Maybe someone can clarify this at interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I wouldnt worry too much about it yet. A lot of people could fall at this hurdle. It's not easy at all!

Our stage 3 was pass or fail. We were place in order of merit based on scores in job simulation and report writing only.

From what I gather the interview will be scored. But I could be mistaken.

Its all order of merit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Our stage 3 was pass or fail. We were place in order of merit based on scores in job simulation and report writing only.

From what I gather the interview will be scored. But I could be mistaken.

Eh? Nope, we were all given a placing after stage 3 too. I would be very, very surprised if stage 4 wasn't the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nigirl

Just seen a deal on groupon for laser tattoo removal! If ur interested! Dunno much about the company or process though

Eh? Nope, we were all given a placing after stage 3 too. I would be very, very surprised if stage 4 wasn't the same!

You had to reach a certain pass mark or else you failed. I did also state that we were placed in order of merit from job simulation and report writing exercise.

You had to reach a certain pass mark or else you failed. I did also state that we were placed in order of merit from job simulation and report writing exercise.

This conversation is painful. I don't even know where to start. The only way I can think to explain is that the system 'pass or fail' everyone else is talking about is mutually exclusive to an order of merit system. What you're talking about wouldn't be mutually exclusive to an order of merit system.

Starting afresh it seems we all now agree that you can fail any stage but those who pass are placed in order of merit. The only question people seem to now be confused about is if the order of merit in the stage 4 results will be based on stage 3 or 4. Personally I think it's pretty obvious it will be based on stage 4.

This conversation is painful. I don't even know where to start. The only way I can think to explain is that the system 'pass or fail' everyone else is talking about is mutually exclusive to an order of merit system. What you're talking about wouldn't be mutually exclusive to an order of merit system.

Starting afresh it seems we all now agree that you can fail any stage but those who pass are placed in order of merit. The only question people seem to now be confused about is if the order of merit in the stage 4 results will be based on stage 3 or 4. Personally I think it's pretty obvious it will be based on stage 4.

Why though? PAS never said that. They never formed an order of merit from interview before. Not arguing. Just playing devil's advocate.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Why though? PAS never said that. They never formed an order of merit from interview before. Not arguing. Just playing devil's advocate.

Yeah, that's why I only said I think; they never said it regarding this round but in every previous round your preceding score did not come into play and you were ranked by order of merit for that round alone. I don't know why they would change it for this round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Yeah, that's why I only said I think; they never said it regarding this round but in every previous round your preceding score did not come into play and you were ranked by order of merit for that round alone. I don't know why they would change it for this round.

I wouldnt worry about it. Pass the interview and you will be getting in (subject to vetting, medical and pct). If there is a merit system then it will only dictate whether you get in in July or Oct. But the main thing is pass this now. Based on the likely numbers doing interviews anyone who passes will be v likely getting in this year.

Advertisement