Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window boxes plants?

• 15-04-2014 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Just wondered, what plants should I put in, the boxes are full of grass and dead plants.
    I don't want to have to water too much, and I'd like blast of colour, don't mind changing them for winter again. They've peat moss in them now. Would I need long lasting slow release fertiliser or them watch things that soak up water and let it out slowly?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

abceire wrote: »
    Just wondered, what plants should I put in, the boxes are full of grass and dead plants.
    I don't want to have to water too much, and I'd like blast of colour, don't mind changing them for winter again. They've peat moss in them now. Would I need long lasting slow release fertiliser or them watch things that soak up water and let it out slowly?

Geraniums are your friend....they dont need much care and will flower for months.

The only thing that bothers them is frost and also keep an eye out for critters living under the boxes as they can damage the plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

You can use the crystals from inside babies' nappies in the compost to retain water and reduce the need of watering. If you have full sun, petunias or geraniums but if you have shade or are north facing, i would use buzy lizzies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Cheers for the advice.
    I won't be doing the watering so won't bother with crystals.
    Guessing just weed the boxes first, round spraying might be bit much?

Advertisement