Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Crash Statistics - Infographic

• 15-04-2014 11:28am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

wnddEHc.png

Have you ever crashed? What did you learn from it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Zascar wrote: »

Have you ever crashed? What did you learn from it?

Yes and it hurts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Interesting information.

I suppose you could say i "crashed". Even though it was only about 5-10mph.
    Pulling out of driveway and rear wheel went over a patch of leaves and the rear slid out and I fell over. Lol.

Followed by me quickly jumping up and looking around to see if anyone saw me fall over. Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Doing my IBT and I was doing a slow U-turn, ending up lying on the ground with the bike :D That count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Two crashes for me.
    One in 1990,got thrown over the handlebars when i hit a pothole on a bend at night.
    Took a chunk out of my knee and I was laid up for 3 months.
    And second one was either 2004 or 2005 and wrecked bike and got fairly busted up myself.
    Couldn't get out of bed for a month and needed a bucket next to the bed to piss into.
    Was on crutches for a year and had a bad limp for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

blade1 wrote: »
    Two crashes for me.
    One in 1990,got thrown over the handlebars when i hit a pothole on a bend at night.
    And second one was either 2004 or 2005 and wrecked bike and got fairly busted up myself.
    Couldn't get out of bed for a month and needed a bucket next to the bed to piss into.

:eek: What about number twos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

blade1 wrote: »
    Two crashes for me.

How did the second one happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    :eek: What about number twos?

He used a 45 ltr back box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I love that there is 0% accidents from vehicle issues, so why an NCT?

Would not like to be the only chap that crashed at 170kph!!! Also find it hard to believe that only 18% of accidents were caused by "Riders" speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jameshayes wrote: »
    I love that there is 0% accidents from vehicle issues, so why an NCT?

Because they have to do something in Europe to earn their wages. Can you imagine how many people would be doing nothing if they didn't have to think up solutions to problems that don't exist.

I've not had my road crash yet but crashed loads off road. What I learned is its nicer to crash in a bog but a pain to try and drag the bike out when the ground is soft mud or wet turf dust.

The main thing I learned was to try and get as far from the bike as possible once you know it's too late to save it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    How did the second one happen?

Flipped it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

luas tracks are slippy when wet

similarly, discarded election posters on roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Wossack wrote: »

That's just... :eek: words fail me...

Who's face was it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

2 spills for me. First one a learner driver changed lane without looking and tipped me over. No injuries and some bike damage.

Second was more serious. Learner driver broke the lights and a cross road and he wanted to turn corner so he ok owed into me head on. Bike was a write off and I sprained a muscle in my foot. Worst part about this incident was the cars that drove around me while I was on the ground and the scumbag who stole my phone while I was on the deck.

faceman wrote: »
    scumbag who stole my phone while I was on the deck.

Jesus H Christ are you serious!!! ****in country is going to the dogs! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Had someone (a woman in a Micra) swing from her lane to mine directly in front of me without indicating and I stood on the rear brake and went sliding on my arse down the road into the path of a truck, who lucky for me, saw the whole thing and could stop. It was coming up to a junction so wasn't going very fast.

She never knew she almost killed someone. Since I'm paranoid about people beside me or pulling out from junctions and get away from them asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Big spill in ibiza.....lost control at night and went into bushes. Rented bike broke nothing but skin damage re scrapes bad. Couldnt walk right for a month.....

Other than that, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Would not like to be the only chap that crashed at 170kph!!! Also find it hard to believe that only 18% of accidents were caused by "Riders" speed.

It's hard to say definitively that speed was at fault, after the fact. Particularly in single vehicle accidents.

Anyway, it's sudden deceleration that kills. I've travelled at speed a few times, and it didn't kill me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wossack wrote: »
    luas tracks are slippy when wet

I've had three spills in total. First was on Luas tracks, I used them to pass a line of traffic at Bluebell on a wet day and when I crossed to get back on the road the back wheel skidded. Luckily it was only at about 20kph so no major damage. Second was a similar incident except this time it was one of those speed bumps that are made of metal, typically found in private estates, industrial estates, etc. Again wet day, tire lost grip and I flew. I've learnt my lesson about metal surfaces and wet days, if I'm going over those metal speed bumps now I wait till the rear wheel has cleared the bump fully before I get on the throttle again. The same goes for man hole covers- I try to avoid accelerating on them on wet days.

Third accident was about 6 months back, I was coming down Gardiner St going towards the Custom House. As I approached the traffic lights just after the Hill 16 pub my light was green. It's downhill at that section so I didn't really have any acceleration on and was just cruising but then suddenly a 12-13 yr old girl just walked right off the pavement in front of me with her head buried in her mobile phone texting away. I immediately swerved to avoid her as I was heading straight for her. The swerve through me off and I ended up with quite a bit of shoulder pain but nothing broken. I didn't really learn anything from that accident, maybe if I did once of those advanced riding courses they teach you how to carry off a swerve without losing it (?) but other than that there was sod all I could have done as she stepped out in front of me at point blank range. She was lucky I was on a bike and swerve fully to avoid her, if it had of been a car I'm not sure if they could have got around her in time- as I swerved around her my left arm knocked her phone clean out of her hands - that's how close I was to totally creaming her. What annoyed me most about it was that specific junction of Gardiner St and Parnell St is one I had identified as a place to be extra careful, mainly because there are lots of people who break the pedestrian lights to cross 4 lanes of traffic at that junction. I've noticed that some of them walk deliberately slowly across the road and I almost get the impression that some of them want you to hit them so they can have a nice payday. So of all the junctions I pass regularly that was one where I'd told myself to be extra careful yet with this accident no amount of being careful would have prevented it.

One thing I will say though is that a week after the accident a poster on here spoke about using your horn. He made the point that using your horn in a collision situation is almost the worst thing you can do. Mainly because you will likely have wasted a split second doing it when you could have used that split second to do something that might have worked. He made the point that even if your horn does get their attention by the time that happens it is highly unlikely they'll have the the time to react and do something themselves. Leave the horn alone and concentrate on your best course of action and I think in that he was very right. Shame I can't remember who it was, great advice though IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ are you serious!!! ****in country is going to the dogs! :mad:

I agree with you.
    At least it is not as bad as South Africa the kip.

But to take a persons phone while they are lying on the road after an accident is low.

• Advertisement

P.C. wrote: »
    I agree with you.
    At least it is not as bad as South Africa the kip.

I agree too.

I was on holidays in S.A on a horse and cart a few years ago and I went into a shop for some bottled water. When I came out the horse was up on four blocks and the cart was gone!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement