Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protesting ***ts

Options
  • 15-04-2014 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

They are against wind farms or pylons or some ****. Why do we allow these people to shut down the city centre? If they want to protest go to a park and get the **** out of the way of the public and private transport of the economic powerhouse of the country, that produces the cash that pays to subsidise their rural existence.

Disclosure: I had to abandon a bus at the Four Courts and walk about half an hour to work because of these people, as did most people on my bus and others I passed along the quays.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

"We want jobs and infrastructure in Ballygobackwards! Rabble, rabble"

"OK we'll build some infrastructure for you"

"We dont want that infrastructure! Rabble, rabble, rabble"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Why aren't the pylons put in Clondalkin or Ballymun? Why is it the culchies that have there land blighted with supersized pylons.

Fair play to the protestors.Too many Irish people.bend over and let the government screw them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

baldbear wrote: »
    Why aren't the pylons put in Clondalkin or Ballymun? Why is it the culchies that have there land blighted with supersized pylons.

Fair play to the protestors.Too many Irish people.bend over and let the government screw them.

Except there are lots of pylons in residential areas in North and West Dublin..

http://goo.gl/maps/HzZSa

This one is even next to a creche! The horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

They dont want pylons on their patch, whats the big problem with that? Its their land after all, they have to live with it, not you.

As far as I know, these pylons are far far larger than the one you posted there. (Anyone know for sure?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

:confused:

because the fecking power lines are bringing the electricity to the culchies all over the country...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

High voltage lines are needed for industry.

If you protest against them, then you get no industry and no jobs as a result.

The government don't put them up for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If you protest against them, then you get no industry and no jobs as a result.

they do want them...they want them to be put underground and for all of us to have to pay for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Because science.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thats the idea of the protest ... to make people notice. Regardless of where they are based. Government is up here and they want those in the Dail to know they are around making rumblings. It puts people out ... but so does every other protest/march.

Theres no such thing as bad press they say - even if they are p***ing off people by doing it today in Dublin City ... They are being heard.
    Its catch 22 - no matter what the protest there will always be somebody who is annoyed because there plans are disrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No problem with protesters but i do have an issue with the mayhem they cause.

They should only be allowed to protest between the hours of midnight and 5AM and on weekends 4 AM to 10 AM, They can protest the **** out of the place during those hours and everyone will be happy.

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    they do want them...they want them to be put underground and for all of us to have to pay for that

Yep, they want us to subsidise their existence and when we aren't doing it exactly to their liking they want to disrupt our day. Nice chaps, talk about entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They dont want pylons on their patch, whats the big problem with that? Its their land after all, they have to live with it, not you.

Well we don't want them protesting on our patch. They are perfectly free to protest in the area where the pylons are going to be not built.

I'm waiting for the protests in a few years time when the current infrastructure can't cope and we've rolling power cuts in rural areas, cause there's zero chance of putting the lines underground when the Environmental Impact Survey survey is done.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Well we don't want them protesting on our patch. They are perfectly free to protest in the area where the pylons are going to be not built.

I'm waiting for the protests in a few years time when the current infrastructure can't cope and we've rolling power cuts in rural areas, cause there's zero chance of putting the lines underground when the Environmental Impact Survey survey is done.

I agree, we do need to improve the infrastructure. But maybe rather than just deciding to build new pylons all over the place, why not have proper public consultation and debates with the people who have to live in the area?
    The same thing happened with the wind turbines. The plan was made to build X number of turbines in the midlands but no-one ever asked the people around what they thought of that. Not even a "We want to put these up, where would be best in your area do you think?"
    Look where that ended up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Riskymove wrote: »

Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Even fault diagnostics on underground cables are really difficult and costly, and it's not an expense this country can afford at the present time.

What do these protestors expect to happen exactly? There is simply no benefit whatsoever to removing pylons and replacing them with underground cables, at least from a fiscal perspective. Tough luck if your view of the farm across the road is blighted by a piece of metal. Having said that, in the UK they had a competition to design some nice pylons and a few of them would look quite decent regardless of where they're placed.

Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Even fault diagnostics on underground cables are really difficult and costly, and it's not an expense this country can afford at the present time.

Faults would also be much rarer, as we dont have to worry about trees/cars etc crashing into cables.

Faults would also be much rarer, as we dont have to worry about trees/cars etc crashing into cables.

But not some farmer drilling for a well or digging ditches.

bumper234 wrote: »
    But not some farmer drilling for a well or digging ditches.

Yeah, that'd happen regularly.

But the cost/time/difficulty to bury all the cables is far greater than any cost to repair overheads.

Plus there's the issue of archaeological discoveries which can halt the whole process for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Pylons already go through Clondalkin :\

How often does this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

True, but faults take days and possibly weeks to repair when they do occur as opposed to a few hours on a pylon. Maintenance costs are also very high relative to pylons. Also, Ireland is very competitive on the electricity front and if there were to be some development in HV transmission then you'd have to strip the underground cables and start from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Lol what. You haven't been clue have you.

Yeah generally I'm all for protests, but **** off and stop ****ing up my scramble to get to work or home after, it's too long as it is.

But the cost/time/difficulty to bury all the cables is far greater than any cost to repair overheads.

Plus there's the issue of archaeological discoveries which can halt the whole process for months.

Sure, that is an issue, or a blessing as we'd learn a lot more also.

How about bury them in areas near where people live or a farmer feels it would drastically reduce the value of his land (And obviously proven to be)?

Back on topic though, dont really understand this apathy towards protesters in Ireland. They feel strongly about something and stand up against it where the government will see it most (i.e. where the greatest population density is).
    Sure, it's a slight inconvenience on all the rest of us, but surely the right to protest is more important?

How often does this happen?

All last winter, through every single one of the storms we had.

How about bury them in areas near where people live or a farmer feels it would drastically reduce the value of his land (And obviously proven to be)?

Back on topic though, dont really understand this apathy towards protesters in Ireland. They feel strongly about something and stand up against it where the government will see it most (i.e. where the greatest population density is).
    Sure, it's a slight inconvenience on all the rest of us, but surely the right to protest is more important?

And what about people right to go about their business? As i say i am all for protest but they should be limited to certain times. I wonder how many of those protesters would be happy if a few hundred Dubs went to their town and clogged it up for a few hours.

They are free to protest in their own areas, more power to them. The rest of us have to work to pay for their existence unfortunately.

All last winter, through every single one of the storms we had.

Weather is a natural phenomenon, Underground cables could be damaged by earthquake or floods.

And what about people right to go about their business? As i say i am all for protest but they should be limited to certain times. I wonder how many of those protesters would be happy if a few hundred Dubs went to their town and clogged it up for a few hours.

Tip down to stradbally each september and ask locals :pac:

Also, free-speech-but-only-at-certain-times-of-the-day seems like a bit of a cop out, and could easily be abused by the government of the day to shut down protests it feels may bring it down.

Tip down to stradbally each september and ask locals :pac:

Also, free-speech-but-only-at-certain-times-of-the-day seems like a bit of a cop out, and could easily be abused by the government of the day to shut down protests it feels may bring it down.

Don't think many of today's protesters were from Stradbally tbh :rolleyes:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/up-to-5000-set-to-march-against-wind-turbines-and-pylons-265383.html
    Buses were hired and cars filled with petrol and diesel this morning as between 3,000 and 5,000 protesters take part in a mass protest in Dublin over wind turbines and pylons.

The 11am march from Parnell Square to Leinster House, was organised by anti-wind and pylon groups in Westmeath, Laois, and Offaly.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it's very rare for a comprehensive paper to be published about such excavations. More likely it'll just result in more boxes of reports and bagged items to be shelved in a warehouse somewhere. At the moment archaeological remains are safest left in the ground.

I don't care about protests. My issue is with people who can't see beyond their own noses and identify that infrastructure is important to the development of their regions. Delaying that infrastructure will only delay their own economic growth.
    There is no way in hell those cables will be buried. The only options are pylons or no pylons.

The people protesting today about the construction of infrastructure will be the ones protesting in a decade about the lack of infrastructure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement