Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protesting ***ts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if its a bogger problem then they can protest it in ballybogger

National and dublin issues only on our streets thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

There is no way in hell those cables will be buried. The only options are pylons or no pylons.

Why not some of them? In areas where they need to be buried? (Natural beauty, people living nearby, etc etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Why not some of them? In areas where they need to be buried? (Natural beauty, people living nearby, etc etc)

Due to bungalow blight there'll always be someone unhappy with the situation who'll fight it tooth and nail.

So we all think it's a good idea to put 10m high pylons right through the country, not caring for where they go through, what wildlife they displace/inhibit, health impacts (that no ones proved or disproved I might add), what scenery/tourism they ruin?

We're going to be living with these for the next 50 years, this is something that should be done once, and done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So every cable in Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc?

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    So every cable in Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc?

We're talking about pylons, large high voltage lines. Not the puny 230V coming into your door. :)

(And I would also say yeah, a lot of those should be underground also, make the place look a whole pile nicer!)

We're talking about pylons, large high voltage lines. Not the puny 230V coming into your door. :)

(And I would also say yeah, a lot of those should be underground also, make the place look a whole pile nicer!)

Dublin has pylons criss crossing it, Do you know how many millions it would cost to bury every cable in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

So we all think it's a good idea to put 10m high pylons right through the country, not caring for where they go through, what wildlife they displace/inhibit, health impacts (that no ones proved or disproved I might add), what scenery/tourism they ruin?

We're going to be living with these for the next 50 years, this is something that should be done once, and done right.

I would argue that underground cables would have a significantly higher impact on wildlife than pylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Bloody bogmen running amok on our capitals streets...as if Coppers isnt enough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Whats the right way for it to be done? There is pylons running across Europe and people accept it. A majority of tourism is in Dublin, Cork and cliffs of Moher. I have never heard of a tourist exploring the non-existent beauty of the mid-lands. Industry is something that can supply jobs all year round and high paid jobs. Tourism tends to be poorly paid and seasonal.

Ireland isnt going to be the first country in Europe with Pylons and they will be essential for our economic development. There is only one way to resolve the issue and thats to build the pylons.

• Advertisement

Dublin has pylons criss crossing it, Do you know how many millions it would cost to bury every cable in the country?

The cost of burying cables is more than the return of putting in the cable in the first place.

Ireland isn't unique on the pylon argument. Austria have been embroiled in a similar case for 20 years, with nobody willing to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How about bury them in areas near where people live or a farmer feels it would drastically reduce the value of his land (And obviously proven to be)?

And here is the problem. People don't want the pylons near their homes, even if they are whatever regulation distance agreed to be safe as it'll ruin their views, which are already ruined for everyone else by the McMansions lining the road, but are perfectly happy to "destroy" the beautiful untouched countryside where there is no development.

Del2005 wrote: »
    And here is the problem. People don't want the pylons near their homes, even if they are whatever regulation distance agreed to be safe as it'll ruin their views, which are already ruined for everyone else by the McMansions lining the road, but are perfectly happy to "destroy" the beautiful untouched countryside where there is no development.

Yeah, thats true. There is a lot of horrid looking houses around the country alright.

Would the construction of pylons every 200 metres be ecologically worse than digging a 100km trench across the country?
    Personally there's power cables running over my garden, and I never notice them unless I hit them with a football.

At least pylons could be removed easily if a better solution was found in the future, whereas buried cables would just be left in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

baldbear wrote: »
    Why aren't the pylons put in Clondalkin or Ballymun? Why is it the culchies that have there land blighted with supersized pylons.

There's pylons all over the place in Dublin, they're pretty hard to miss outside of the city centre. Locally to me there's a load going through the local park and right by 2 primary schools. Oddly enough the local residents don't have an issue with living beside them, nor have they got 3 heads as a result.
    All last winter, through every single one of the storms we had.

Not the pylons being discussed here, they're higher than your regular tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We need to establish some sort of dublin militia to protect the city from these acts of spud gobbler sabotage. The gardas loyalty is suspect in these situations.

In between farmer protests the militia could run the junkies off the streets to earn their keep

Bambi wrote: »
    We need to establish some sort of dublin militia to protect the city from these acts of spud gobbler sabotage. The gardas loyalty is suspect in these situations.

In between farmer protests the militia could run the junkies off the streets to earn their keep

Now THAT I do support!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Serious amount of pylons where I used to live in Poppintree. Ballymun, mainly Belclare park was full of them. Loads built up the road in Finglas too and along the M50, scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If I win the Euromillions tonight I will personally finance this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

If you have to have pylons, could do worse than these...
    (Icelandic competition, didn't win.)

sshot-1-jins-530x425.jpg
    MF-Pylon-Backdrop-4-530x373.jpg
    Pylon-Backdrop---Kjolur-Highlands-ts-2-530x299.jpg
    struts---pylon-3-multi-position-530x325.jpg
    ChoiShine---MF-pylon-510--530x311.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You made me spit all over me monitor with that one

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

That top photo/mockup is great. I wonder what won the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I read this as protestants against wind farms.

No Wind Farms Here...or Popes either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

baldbear wrote: »
    Why aren't the pylons put in Clondalkin or Ballymun? Why is it the culchies that have there land blighted with supersized pylons.

Fair play to the protestors.Too many Irish people.bend over and let the government screw them.

Wind quotas maybe, whats the chances of enough in built up areas I'll answer that, fck all

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

GBX wrote: »
    Thats the idea of the protest ... to make people notice. Regardless of where they are based. Government is up here and they want those in the Dail to know they are around making rumblings. It puts people out ... but so does every other protest/march.

Theres no such thing as bad press they say - even if they are p***ing off people by doing it today in Dublin City ... They are being heard.
    Its catch 22 - no matter what the protest there will always be somebody who is annoyed because there plans are disrupted.

I know I still hate ****ey smelling farmers for making me late for my teeth whitening 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

And what about people right to go about their business? As i say i am all for protest but they should be limited to certain times. I wonder how many of those protesters would be happy if a few hundred Dubs went to their town and clogged it up for a few hours.

Dubs would never do that, they are scared of anything outside the pale, you know, where the real Irish live ;-)

davo2001 wrote: »
    Dubs would never do that, they are scared of anything outside the pale, you know, where the real Irish live ;-)

YEah right

See how the boggers react when they can't get cattle to market or when Mary can't get down to teshcoooos to do the shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

My god you people have a chip on your shoulder with non dublin people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

oak5548 wrote: »
    My god you people have a chip on your shoulder with non dublin people. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's pretty funny actually, makes them look fairly pathetic! bumper234 is a prime candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'm intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement