Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young couple moving to Dublin.

Options
  • 15-04-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend and I are both 20, I got a pretty decent job lined up in dublin, wages are 25k with travel and full health insurance, nothing great but considering my age and the fact I have no professional experience in this line of work (IT) its a little above the norm. I know Dublin is crazy expensive to live in. And rent of most flats are sky high. My OH shouldn't find it too hard to find work as she is an experienced and qualified child care assistant.

Does anyone have any tips for us? Really anything at all would be appreciated. I have 5 weeks to prepare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Where is the job?
    What type of accommodation do you want?
    Where do friends of yours live in Dublin?
    Do you have a car?
    Do you have parking at the office you're due to work at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Thanks for the reply :)
    enda1 wrote: »
    Where is the job?
    What type of accommodation do you want?
    Where do friends of yours live in Dublin?
    Do you have a car?
    Do you have parking at the office you're due to work at?

Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin 2.
    Anything, but we would prefer something to ourselves.
    We have no friends in Dublin.
    No car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

SJRQ, use public transport.

Dart is 10 mins away, Luas (red) 5 mins and the 16 (i think), goes by the door.
    Find a place along those pieces of transport infrastructure, or within walking distance. But don't go too far into suburbia, the point of being 20 something and living in Dublin is to go out.

Probably should budget €1,100 for a decent 1 bed apt and be prepared to move very fast on it. Plenty of competition around GCD for apartments from Facebook, Google, Linked In & Twitter employees and don't forget Dublin is in a bit of a boom at the moment.
    Traditional areas for renters in Dublin are D2/4, Harolds Cross, Sandymount, Rathmines, Ranelagh. Then out the coast Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and there are loads of apartments in Sandyford, but that's the other Luas line.

Tax saver travel tickets don't always work out cheaper than Leap cards, depends on point to point.

Check out go car too, as a possibility for using a car the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'd be setting myself a budget of about €1000/month for a flat and try to live on the dart line or thereabouts. Somewhere like Irishtown/Landsdown/Ballsbridge.

Reason being that for her I imagine the better paid jobs will be in the D4 area such as Sandymount out to Blackrock. Gives you good public transport while having easy walking access to work and conveniences.

On the North side then maybe look at more Clontarf/Fairview but they're that bit further out.

Good luck with the move!

Oh, and forget you'll need 1 months rent as a deposit too. So that'll be an outlay of c. €2,200 when you sign the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

16 goes nowhere near SJRQ. Think the 151 does.

You're right it's the 15 & 15A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Thanks everyone for the replies, keep the tips coming :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

bren2002 wrote: »
    You're right it's the 15 & 15A
    And no 15B

Advertisement