Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brave thugs mount daring rescue mission for scummy friend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Never mind a Kit Kat bar ...they also going into shops to clean their needles in the Fresh Citrus Fruit.:(

From an Old Mirror Story
    JUNKIES are inserting filthy syringes into lemons and oranges in an attempt to clean them, the Mirror can reveal.

Drug users are "juicing" their contaminated needles in small shops in Dublin's south inner city.

The addicts repeatedly stab the needles into the fruit in the belief it will sterilise them.

Gardai have warned shopkeepers to watch out for drug users handling fruit on their premises.

A source said: "It's a big problem and very hard to stop. They just lift up the lemon and stick the syringe in.

"There's virtually no trace and some unfortunate goes and buys the fruit which could have traces of blood which may be contaminated with AIDS or hepatitis."

The addicts prefer to use smaller shops because they are less likely to have sophisticated CCTV systems.

There are up to 15,000 heroin users in Ireland and most have no way of cleaning their needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Shops could care less about what people do with items they buy in them. What do they think people are doing who buy a pack of smokes and rollies in the same purchase?
    Making models out of papers. Maybe they smoke rollies sometimes. It isn't a crime and of no business of the shopkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chief87

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I would suspect the biggest problems we face is the lack of policing and lack of using existing laws. If you think it is a good idea to have somebody spend 15 years in jail at the cost of (15*€50k) €750k for minor criminal offenses I think you have a problem. That isn't even to mention the costs of supporting a persons family while they are in jail.

I didn't give a story so no moral. Personally I believe if the streets were policed we wouldn't have such problems. Fear of being caught is the biggest deterrent not increase punishment. Maybe rehabilitate people in prison instead of punishing them.

I want a working system at reasonable expenses, warehousing people doesn't work. If the best system meant letting everybody out of prison I am for it, what we have doesn't work and 3 strike rules don't work either. I don't want to replace one broken system with another broken one that is all.

Just because somebody doesn't believe in a severe system doesn't make them a bleeding heart liberal. I want something that works.

Where did I say that? You originally commented on the policing aspect as did I...no one mentioned 15 years in prison..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

DominoDub wrote: »
    Never mind a Kit Kat bar ...they also going into shops to clean their needles in the Fresh Citrus Fruit.:(

From an Old Mirror Story

"LEMON AIDS"

Chief87 wrote: »
    Where did I say that? You originally commented on the policing aspect as did I...no one mentioned 15 years in prison..
    But that is what the 3 strikes rule does. You seemed to think it was a good idea and suggested a lack of it was "soft". Look up the singer of "Love" Arthur Lee and you can see how ridiculous such rules are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Don't lock them out.

The key is to lock them in.

I see, so the best way to fight a mob is .. with the Mob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

There is a garda station no more than 100 yards up the road on O'Connell Street.

This is on O'Connell Street, just at the spire. One of the most heavily populated tourist areas in the country and we have skangers kicking doors down and hurling racist abuse at a security man doing his job.

This is the scale of the problem on O'Connell Street. What planet are the relevant authorities on if they do not feel we have a huge problem with O'Connell Street and surrounding areas.

Anything to do with O'Connell Street is not a local issue, its a national issue or at least a county issue. But of course, we were undemocratic-ally denied the right to vote on a mayor that can be held accountable for these issues. O'Connell Street is deemed a Dublin City Council Issue. Its much more important than that.

Couldn't agree more. I walk up it every day to Parnell square. 3 times a week after 9.30pm and its full of junkies. Harrassing people and looking for trouble. 3 Garda stations within a mile of it and they cannot control it??

You're right it is a national issue. Our countries main street and main tourist drop off point in the City Centre. Our reputation as a tourist destination will suffer with the state of the place. There will be economic loss as a result. Government need to take notice instead of hauling the GAA over tv deals.

And it is getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I have a solution... bring in a new law for shopkeepers and other business owners

1. Allow property owners to carry a weapon e.g firearm for self protection
    2. Allow property owners to defend themselves+property with force in self-defense. Don't prosecute them for injuring lowlifes like this, they should be allowed to use whatever means necessary to remove a threat from their premises.

Simple solution.. I doubt there will be much more issues with junkies when they know they will be up against force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

no foil on bars anymore
    Kit Kats aren't wrapped in foil any more.
    The Kit Kat multipacks still have two fingers wrapped in foil.

I'm reading the thread thinking "I'm sure kit kat still has foil on it!!"
    So I went to the fridge to further investigate and sure enough Sherlock had the answer correct.
    But I am very cross with the other posters that caused me to go to said fridge as I now I have to eat the damn thing :mad::o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I have a solution... bring in a new law for shopkeepers and other business owners

2. Allow property owners to defend themselves+property with force in self-defense. Don't prosecute them for injuring lowlifes like this, they should be allowed to use whatever means necessary to remove a threat from their premises.

Simple solution.. I doubt there will be much more issues with junkies when they know they will be up against force.

And what happens when the junkies and other scum get their hands on guns, now that they know that the shopkeeper is armed and wont be easy to rob?

It would just make the problem a lot lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

20 mins for the guards to come? To the main street in Ireland?(just off it barely)
    Another day, another story like this. Nothing will change because nobody cares in Government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I always find the "pinko liberals" and "bleeding hearts" comments gas within this context, as you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who would condone or try to excuse this behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Smidge wrote: »
    I'm reading the thread thinking "I'm sure kit kat still has foil on it!!"
    So I went to the fridge to further investigate and sure enough Sherlock had the answer correct.
    But I am very cross with the other posters that caused me to go to said fridge as I now I have to eat the damn thing :mad::o

Thanks Smidge,

I was beginning to doubt myself even, and was contemplating purchasing some Kit Kat's later just to see.

I would however like to thank you for saving me the time.

P.S - Keeping chocolate in the fridge... is the best place.

EyeSight wrote: »
    20 mins for the guards to come? To the main street in Ireland?(just off it barely)
    Another day, another story like this. Nothing will change because nobody cares in Government
    Do you really believe that?
    It makes much more sense that it is a really complex issue to manage and hard to get right. Do you think the government can just tell the Gardaí or any other public servant to do what they want and it happens?

It isn't like there are unions that prevent instant changes let alone budget concerns.

I hope the government learn not to have knee jerk reactions and actually plan and act in partnerships with the workers.

Of course I could just trot out a inattentive ill-considered statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

oops, I completely misread Soft Falling Rain. Sorry about that. Too much sunshine. Lovely sunshine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Weren't the guards all at some conference crying "woe is me, they think we are useless and corrupt"?

This sums up our city's capital. Right on the main street and not far from the GPO itself. Useless guards, no accountability. What exactly is there to celebrate in 2016?

bear1 wrote: »
    Don't know if letting the Guards have guns would resolve anything....

They would demand a 50% payrise, 2 years of training, early retirement for pre traumatic stress disorder and danger bonus money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

And what happens when the junkies and other scum get their hands on guns, now that they know that the shopkeeper is armed and wont be easy to rob?

It would just make the problem a lot lot worse.
    Do you not think criminals already have guns? Besides, business owners having guns would deter people from robbing them. Not to mention, I know most people would feel a lot safer if they had something to protect themselves with against an intruder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Funniest post I have read in years.(I presume it was a joke post)
    Give immunity to an organization convulsed by corruption scandal after corruption scandal.
    You have heard of Donegal, the Ian Bailey frame up, the Kieran Boylan affair, the penalty points saga...etc etc..

Thats over 30 years or so. Would be a dull Tuesday for Scotland yard.

You are right though, because no Police force is perfect what we need is softly softly approaches to teenage racist thugs beating the crap our of Chinese owners, kicking the siht out of Brazilians with hats and whatever poor non-white sap is trying to do a bit of work in Spar in the city centre.

Any other response would be FASCISM pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Dublin needs a directly elected Mayor with control over local police, someone who's job is on the line if the main street is a criminal cesspool. To keep his job ( at least as a TD) Shatter has only to worry about crime rates in Rathfarnam. Worse if the minister for justice is from Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

bear1 wrote: »
    Isn't there a Garda station on Lower Gardiner Street? or somewhere near there

Store Street & Fitgibbon Street are quite close, and there is a garda cctv centre just 150 meters down the street.

In the pre 1922 days, this incident would have been called a rebellion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I can just imagine the mentality of these scummers.... ughhh!

And of course not a Garda in sight... joke as usual and another fine example of a what a **** hole that area of Dublin is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I present my one size fits all (skangers) solution

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84943817&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Do you really believe that?
    It makes much more sense that it is a really complex issue to manage and hard to get right. Do you think the government can just tell the Gardaí or any other public servant to do what they want and it happens?

It isn't like there are unions that prevent instant changes let alone budget concerns.

I hope the government learn not to have knee jerk reactions and actually plan and act in partnerships with the workers.

Of course I could just trot out a inattentive ill-considered statement.
    Unions would react badly to telling gardai to arrest criminals?
    No matter how much money we have, you'll always here people moan about budget concerns. Suck it up and change tact. We always have enough in the budget for crack downs on people speeding and drink driving every bank holiday, but never enough to crack down on open drug abuse, dealing and general scumbaggery in the city center.
    Why? - because traffic violations generate revenue back and make us look great in the EU road safety stats. I agree this is an important area to focus on, but it seems to be the only one

What actual plans are being put together right now? For years it's been this bad and the government, courts and gardai are telling us everything is fine, it's just a tiny minority of people who had tough upbringing. Nothing is wrong, nothing needs to change
    You speak like there's some committee putting together a plan to crack down on crime and improve the quality of live in DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

or the junkies and other scumbags may arm themselves even more and we could end up with a blood bath, you can legally defend yourself, shop owners having fire arms, no, only fully trained licenced people as current can have fire arms and thats it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    They would demand a 50% payrise, 2 years of training, early retirement for pre traumatic stress disorder and danger bonus money.
    all which they would be entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

were they Chjunkie kit kits???

Do you not think criminals already have guns?
    not as many as would if you started arming business owners and eventually everyone, because once you give business owners the right to guns then everyone has to get that right, or nobody apart from the few who currently have to go through a strict licencing system
    business owners having guns would deter people from robbing them.
    wrong
    I know most people would feel a lot safer if they had something to protect themselves with against an intruder.
    pepper spray will do the trick, the ordinary citizens cannot be allowed to have or trusted with guns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think it's pretty clear what we need... we need Batman to come to Dublin. I can just imagine him gliding in and knocking all those little ****s out. Perfect.

Advertisement