Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developmental checks

Options
  • 15-04-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,
    like 2 week and 6 week check up, are there any other scheduled check ups? In 6 week check I was not told of any further checks. Only vaccinations are there now. Shouldn't there be any other check ups whether baby is growing fine? Am I missing something? Should I take gp appointments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

kknitter wrote: »
    Hi,
    like 2 week and 6 week check up, are there any other scheduled check ups? In 6 week check I was not told of any further checks. Only vaccinations are there now. Shouldn't there be any other check ups whether baby is growing fine? Am I missing something? Should I take gp appointments?

Think we had one at either 2or 3 months with the phn and will be sent an appointment for an 8 month check apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

There'll be a 3 month check, 8 month check and not again until 2yrs. Generally your PHN will get in touch and make appts with you for these checks. You attend your GP for vaccinations in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

He is two and a half months now, haven't received any appointment for 3 month check, should I contact phn?

I didn't get the call until after she had turned the 3 months, it was that same week. It was the same with 8 month check, PHN nurse didn't call me until the week she turned the 8months.

Oh ok. Thank you very much for prompt responses :) appreciate it.

• Advertisement

No bother, I was chopping at the bit to be ringing to book in for checks and when I did she was laughing at my eagerness. A mama's right I say :) Best of luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A lot of the PHNs have drop in clinics or you can just ring and make an appt if you want.
    They usually schedule check ups too but if they are very busy they will be later then they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Varies in different regions, my kids got development checks 3mth, 9mth, 15mth, 2yr & 3yr. The PHN would ring a week or two in advance and in fairness they were spot on, they both had the annual ones on the week of their respective birthdays. But i do believe there can be a waiting list in some regions so it's no harm for you to ring them if you haven't heard. Most of these were just done by the PHN but i think the 9mth one there was a doctor with the PHN, that one is very important as s/he will check baby's hips, eyes & hearing, if there's any problems it is easier to sort under 1.

Thank you all for all the replies. It so very helpful. Good to be aware now.

Advertisement