Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plex?

• 15-04-2014 1:42pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a new Samsung TV and I've installed Plex on the tv and my computer. I've heard a lot about this and was keen to give it a go. have to say I'm not liking it much so far.

See, I already have a WDTV and love how that works. I share some folders on my network drive and they appear in the same way, in the folders I have put everything in. Plex seems to over complicated the whole thing. Doesn't seem to handle collections well from what I have seen.

Am I missing something here or am I just rubbish at setting it up? Any tips for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭squonk

What are the specific things you don't like OP? Plex is a step up from your media drive if you've set it up correctly.

* First off you have to pick a location for your TV source and one for your movies when you set up the server.
    * Next you ensure that your TV shows are named in directories as follows:
    e.g.
    \Revenge\Season 1\S01E01<something>.avi or mkv or whatever
    * Next Plex Server scans the files and downloads metadata for each of them.

I haven't used a TV based plex client but it might not be as fully featured as something like Plex Home Theater. Plex is a generally good stable well-featured product without quite the numebr of bells and whistles you'd get in XBMC for instance.

What Plex gives you is the artwork, plot descriptions and epsiode names you're not getting with just reading the filenames off a drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I find Plex to be fairly slow. Both in serving the content to other clients and even when using the plex client from a plex server. Anyone else think so or is it just my set up ?

/Sorry for the hi-jacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Zascar wrote: »
    I just got a new Samsung TV and I've installed Plex on the tv and my computer. I've heard a lot about this and was keen to give it a go. have to say I'm not liking it much so far.

See, I already have a WDTV and love how that works. I share some folders on my network drive and they appear in the same way, in the folders I have put everything in. Plex seems to over complicated the whole thing. Doesn't seem to handle collections well from what I have seen.

Am I missing something here or am I just rubbish at setting it up? Any tips for me?

How are your files organised, have you renamed them and are they in proper folder structure with a single movie in each folder.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah, no. All the movies are in one folder, I don't feel the need to have a folder for each one. Does this mean its not going to work?

Zascar wrote: »
    Ah, no. All the movies are in one folder, I don't feel the need to have a folder for each one. Does this mean its not going to work?

you should be fine. I've all of mine in one folder. Actually I've a collection across two movie folders. There are some collections in sub folders but, in general, Plex doesn't have much of a problem with this type of setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

really gotten into this the last few weeks and loving it, so a couple of things would be helpful.

yify has an unsupported app, which tbh isnt great, but thats fine.
    is there a similar add on for tv shows.

plus sometimes theres no art work, im on roku 3.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    really gotten into this the last few weeks and loving it, so a couple of things would be helpful.

yify has an unsupported app, which tbh isnt great, but thats fine.
    is there a similar add on for tv shows.

plus sometimes theres no art work, im on roku 3.

What is the Yify unsupported app? What does it do?

For missing artwork you need to fire up Plex manager on your server. You can then browse into the library and correct these problems manually. If you haven't got artwork also, check your naming conventions for the TV shows and ensure that the correct TV show is being picked up, or the correct movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

squonk wrote: »
    What is the Yify unsupported app? What does it do?

For missing artwork you need to fire up Plex manager on your server. You can then browse into the library and correct these problems manually. If you haven't got artwork also, check your naming conventions for the TV shows and ensure that the correct TV show is being picked up, or the correct movie.
    the art work is on my computer but sometimes its not on my roku, ill give your suggestion a go.
    google yify, so instead downloading you just stream directly from the app.
    im a bit vague because im not sure what i can say on here.

but it doesnt always work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Just got a shiny new Samsung smart tv

Took quite awhile but I got the DNLA link up so I can at least browse files on my PC, my next step would be to try.. well XMBC isn't available, so I guess Plex

Seems I have to pay for Plex.. any way to try it beforehand? I'll gladly pay once I know it's what I want, otherwise I'd just buy a Ouya and put XBMC on it

Have you a PC? Install Plex on that. I believe the PC Server and Client install are free? That'll give youa tase of what to expect and if it suits you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement