Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Case for a lifetime ban?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

jacool wrote: »
    I've often wondered if anything could get a player banned for life, and I think this is finally such a case.
    The player is a substitute, warming up behind the goal (!), and his team are leading 2-0 with the 90 minutes up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-player-saves-goal-off-line-2014-4?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=emailshare#

Why would that deserve a lifetime ban, and not something much worse like racism or various Joey Barton offences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

jacool wrote: »
    I've often wondered if anything could get a player banned for life, and I think this is finally such a case.
    The player is a substitute, warming up behind the goal (!), and his team are leading 2-0 with the 90 minutes up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-player-saves-goal-off-line-2014-4?nr_email_referer=1&utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=emailshare#

I dunno, I reckon something like stabbing another player during a match would probably be more deserving of a life-time ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Yeah, a substitute running on and saving a goal is much worse than....say...kung fu kicking a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In fairness if you only get like a 10 game ban for racism the bar is set very very low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I just found it funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well you'd assume that if a fan did that, they'd probably be banned for life (at the very least from that stadium), so why not an employee of one of the participating clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well you'd assume that if a fan did that, they'd probably be banned for life (at the very least from that stadium), so why not an employee of one of the participating clubs?

See racism, violent conduct etc. It's not the same rules for players and fans, never was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Was there not a South American goalie given a lifetime ban a whole ago??

He basically used to go up for the ball while lifting a boot into the far of the oncoming forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I laughed at that video . Shouldn't it have been a penalty .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Yeah, a substitute running on and saving a goal is much worse than....say...kung fu kicking a fan.

Well in this case yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Charlie Adam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would say a season ban or a lesser ban and a points deduction. The team probably should have let them score the indirect kick.

A lifetime ban?

Surely that would be excessive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

No, as the sub was only warming up he is considered an "outside agent" and it ranks the same as if a spectator did it. Fairly sure it should have been a drop ball on the 6 yard line rather than a free kick, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would happily do it at Tolka if it was last game of the season and promotion/relegation/title was on the line and I was in a close enough position to react quickly enough and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

ollaetta wrote: »
    No, as the sub was only warming up he is considered an "outside agent" and it ranks the same as if a spectator did it. Fairly sure it should have been a drop ball on the 6 yard line rather than a free kick, though.

I don't think subs or staff are counted as outside agents as they can be issued cards.

For an outside agent a drop ball sounds right. A proper drop-ball though, not one of these rubbish non-competitive drop-balls that referees try to insist on these days.

CSF wrote: »
    Would happily do it at Tolka if it was last game of the season and promotion/relegation/title was on the line and I was in a close enough position to react quickly enough and do it.

You reckon you'd be treated as gently as that chap? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A lifetime ban? For that!?

Lets think about this - football is the thing this guy has most likely worked towards for his entire life. It's his profession. His livelyhood. His job. He shouldn't be allowed to ever play professionally again for his entire life - for that?!

Christ... banned for a bunch of games, sure, a fine, ok, but completely removing someone from their career forever for something like this is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I can remember when a Man Utd player was banned for life: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Wallwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Banned for life, get a grip. Attacking a fan maybe not for something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

gosplan wrote: »
    Was there not a South American goalie given a lifetime ban a whole ago??

He basically used to go up for the ball while lifting a boot into the far of the oncoming forward.
    Were taught to lead with the knee in rugby gives you some protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In fairness if you only get like a 10 game ban for racism the bar is set very very low

Bla bla bla I hate Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

niallo27 wrote: »

Why bother rising to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

niallo27 wrote: »

Its a good thing no posters had a dig at Cantona in the thread prior to that.

Its like ye purposely pick and choose what posts to take offence to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Why did he do it when the team was 2 down:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

A severe case of gamesmanship/cheating but not deliberately injuring another or bringing game into disrepute (taken more seriously in football when it comes to advertising and money).

4 match ban, couple of weeks wages to charity and 30/40 hours with local kids getting in touch with the "true spirit of the game".

I'd go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't think subs or staff are counted as outside agents as they can be issued cards.

For an outside agent a drop ball sounds right. A proper drop-ball though, not one of these rubbish non-competitive drop-balls that referees try to insist on these days.

You never see them any more,do you? Shame.

Used to love seeing players kicking the shins off each other...great craic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Timmyctc wrote: »

Cantona Assaulted a fan in front of Millions of people. Suarez was banned on another mans say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was thinking the same since was it not foul play in the penalty area ?

So if it is a drop ball and a player who wasn't even on the pitch gets a red card then the offending team are not really penalised in any real way at all.

Then basically any team could try and have a sub warming up behind the goal ready to step in to prevent a sure goal when the keeper is beaten.

And I know I shouldn't be saying this on here, but sometimes rugby does hava few rules that are fairer like the penalty try where a player or team break the rules to prevent a sure fire score.

As for lifetime ban I think not.
    Ban the guy for 5/6 odd matches and slap a nice fat fine on the club.
    That'll teach them.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Iang87 wrote: »
    Cantona Assaulted a fan in front of Millions of people. Suarez was banned on another mans say.

So Cantona is fair game but Suarez isn't?
    Is that what you're trying to say here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Timmyctc wrote: »

Kinda like the way Suarez was dragged into the argument on the first page when their should have been no mention of him in here .
    I'm still wondering what the rules for this type of interference are in a game of football . If a player on the pitch did the same it would be a red card and a three match ban so I would imagine the sub would get the same type of punishment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Lifetime bans are pretty severe and this incident is nowhere near serious enough.
    As another poster said, they should have let them score the indirect fre-kick, bad form not to.

Also, bans and fines for racism and violence are too low, both on clubs and players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

astonaidan wrote: »
    Were taught to lead with the knee in rugby gives you some protection

It's also taught to goalkeepers in football. For protection but also if you do end up clattering an opponent, the likely hood is they arnt coming for seconds.

But its mostly to protect yourself as your ribs are exposed where you normally get an elbow here or there

So Cantona is fair game but Suarez isn't?
    Is that what you're trying to say here?

The point i'm making is you cant put the two into the one bracket given that you havent a notion what went on with Suarez whereas with Cantona its clear as day

The point i'm making is you cant put the two into the one bracket given that you havent a notion what went on with Suarez whereas with Cantona its clear as day

But we do have a notion, he gave a statement detailing exactly what he called him, it's not just one man's word. Some people just keep ignoring that part to this day.

They were both banned for mistakes they made, if it's not ok to bring up one it's not ok to bring up the other.

Neither should be mentioned here anyway because it has nothing to do with this incident.

• Advertisement

and you're ignoring the part where he strongly disagrees with what he was eventually charged and subsequently punished for.

but as you said not for this thread.

As for a lifetime ban I suppose match fixing would be the only thing that springs to mind, anything else can be put down to heat of the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Does every thread have to turn into Liverpool v United by the same handful of posters.

Shut the fcuk up will ye?

oh christ get over yourself will you, if you dont like it piss off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

He's really not the one who needs to do that.

hefferboi wrote: »
    Does every thread have to turn into Liverpool v United by the same handful of posters.

It had finished before you stuck your oar in.
    I don't see The Narrator or Rayne Wooney as serial instigators of Liverpool v United wars to be honest.

• Advertisement

It had finished before you stuck your oar in.
    I don't see The Narrator or Rayne Wooney as serial instigators of Liverpool v United wars to be honest.

I didn't say they were. There's lads from both sides at it.

haha good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Let me remind ye of the charter.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73160788&postcount=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

44 posts and a complete shambles already. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yup, its like no one else supports teams these days

44 posts and a complete shambles already. Well done.

You could have said that at post #5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Caught taking performance enhancing drugs then out the gap you should go.

Surprisingly few players get caught in football. Its almost as if its in the authorities interests to not test players according to best international practices.

Well played Blatter, well played..............

Yeah, PED's would be the big one for a lifetime ban. Match fixing and betting syndicates are another. There really isn't that much else outside of continuing repeat offenders of so called lesser incidents, which apparently racism et al fall under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

A lifetime ban isnt enough,this happened in Iran so they should chop off his head!,you cant be doing things like this on a football pitch so a public execution is the only way to deter others and end this madness once and for all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

He is not an outside agent as the substitute is named on the team sheet. Everything else is outside agent.

Indirect free kick was correct but only a caution should be issued. Or possibly two yellows, one for unsporting behaviour and one for entering the field of play without permission.

Just as an aside, staff cannot be issued with cards as someone else mentioned. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement