Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP with App

Options
  • 15-04-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have developed an app which was specifically coded for a 7" tablet. However i wanted to do different layouts to it would work on my phone (Samsung S3) etc so following a tutorial online i setup new layout folders and copied the XML codes for each layout into these where i subsequently altered each of these layouts manually to get them right.

Now it runs ok on my phone but on the emulator i was using for the 7" - it has shrunk everything - ARGGGGGHHHHHHH....

Can anyone please help, thanks

K.

PS - If you need to see code and/or screenshots - just let me know - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

What exact names did you call the folders in res/layout/ that you placed the 7" tablet XMLs and phone XMLs?
    You might as well just list your full directory structure of res/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭shanard

HI Folks,

Following the tutorial online my layouts folder was for the 7inch tablet so i copied these xmls into layout-small and layout-normal and altered the xmls within these folders only.

I have attached a snippet of the property tree together with screenshots of the 7 inch emulator and the 4 inch emulator - you will notice that on the 7 inch they are all out of place whereas as per the 4 inch is what i need the layout to look like.

Can you help me with this please as i cannot seem to find out how to and no one on my course knows how to do this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I think when the app loads on the device, it looks for the most suitable layout folder. If it cant find one, it will default to use the xml files in the "layout" folder. Make sure that the tablet isnt thinking that the mdpi one is a better fit that the default. Maybe create a folder specifically for 7 inch tablets and 4 inch phones. You'll also have to consider resolution.

Also, double check to see if theres not something being set in your "values" folders that might be throwing it off.

Advertisement