Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolour at Market Square.

Options
  • 15-04-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Ive heard that Dundalk Town Council have requested that the National flag erected by Sein Fein as part of the Easter commerations is to be removed as there has been no permission sought to erect any banner, posters, flags etc.

Id be interested in what people think. Personally I feel that in this instance that protocols on flying the flag in this regard should suffice ie is only flown from sunrise to sunset on the day in question.

paragraph 13/14 of the following guidelines

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/publications/1104.pdf

I have been irked in the past when these Tricolours have been erected for easter and then left until they disintegrate thus being disrespectful to our national flag that was being flown in rememberance of 1916 - those same people who fly them have the same responsibility to show respect and remove them as appropriate.

I know that to many the symbolism attached to flags on this island is crazy but as Sein Fein hold the national flag in such high esteem surely they should follow protocol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

There has been a gigantic tricolour on the front of the Crows nest bar for the last few years, maybe the town hall staff havent noticed it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Any chance of a picture? I didn't notice any flag at the square when I was there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Peter File wrote: »
    There has been a gigantic tricolour on the front of the Crows nest bar for the last few years, maybe the town hall staff havent noticed it yet

AND they never took it down and washed it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

The National Flag should be respected and not used as a political tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Peter File wrote: »

It is draped on the front of their own building. Not flying on lamp posts or sign posts for which permission is needed to put anything up. Just because it is Sein Fein and the tricolour and Easter does not mean the rules can be broken. They were told last year that in future they would have to go through the proper process - a process they chose to ignore and now feign outrage. Im pretty sure they would be calling for a process to be followed if Union flags were stuck up on poles for 12th July and would demand their removal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's against the rules then when the heck does the council not have the conviction to simply take the flag down? I abhor our national flag being used by a single political entity like this!

Any chance of a picture? I didn't notice any flag at the square when I was there yesterday.

10171661_10202772535667865_639654058304858835_n.jpg?w=645&h=860

If it's against the rules then when the heck does the council not have the conviction to simply take the flag down? I abhor our national flag being used by a single political entity like this!

Well i suppose they are, but as littering bylaws go, notice has to be given with a certain time for compliance or fines will be issued. Do you fine an individual who put them up, or an organisatin, what organisation exactly and possibly fining some sitting members of the council. Taking them down without due process wouldnt be much different from putting them up without due process :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Thank god Ireland aren't in the World cup this year or those 'presidents rules' would be well and truly fuc*ed ;)

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Well i suppose they are, but as littering bylaws go, notice has to be given with a certain time for compliance or fines will be issued. Do you fine an individual who put them up, or an organisatin, what organisation exactly and possibly fining some sitting members of the council. Taking them down without due process wouldnt be much different from putting them up without due process :(

You might as well say that litter dumped had to be left in place until fines are issued etc. The littering by laws allow for them to be removed immediately. There is no due course for the removal of items contravening the littering laws. It can also be removed without notice as it is attached to a public lighting standard which is council property.

• Advertisement

In this circumstance is it not closer to election posters situation or conditions rather than fly tipping?

In this circumstance is it not closer to election posters situation or conditions rather than fly tipping?

It's covered by the littering laws but the same applies if election posters were put up illegally.

picture

Thanks.

I was curious because I was wondering what colour it would be - People of a certain political persuasion have a tendency to use a watery kind of yellow rather than the correct orange for our Flag.

The Flag should be flown from an appropriate staff, mast or flagpole, and it should be flown from the top of it (unless being flown at half-mast to signify mourning), not halfway up a lamppost.

Very disrespectful to the Flag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Thanks.

I was curious because I was wondering what colour it would be - People of a certain political persuasion have a tendency to use a watery kind of yellow rather than the correct orange for our Flag.

The Flag should be flown from an appropriate staff, mast or flagpole, and it should be flown from the top of it (unless being flown at half-mast to signify mourning), not halfway up a lamppost.

Its only a Flag

Its only a Flag

Great! Sein Fein and their ilk wont have a problem with them being removed so. :rolleyes:

Just checked all the pubs in Dundalk *hic*. No flags flying from staffs,masts or flagpoles,most are just blue tacked up behind bars or stuck in windows or draped on a seat or around human necks.

The flags quoted in Nestas photo have been removed.

FFS what a load of crap from all involved and i include SF in this sentence.

Next Soccer or Rugby WC,get them flags flying but just make sure they're attachted to the proper flag flying equipment or we'll all be back here again! :eek:

Its only a Flag

It is the very symbol upon which this nation was founded. A symbol which says "We know that this nation is made up of different people with wildly different political and religious ideologies, but those ideologies are all welcome here, where we shall endeavour to have peace between them." It is a symbol that means something, and it should be respected.

Oh, and by the way... if it's "only a Flag", why did you capitalise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Thanks.

Well if we'r talking about disrespect here... Then I think taking it down would be the out-right loser!

ardle1 wrote: »
    Well if we'r talking about disrespect here... Then I think taking it down would be the out-right loser!

Quite the contrary! Leaving your national flag hanging halfway up a lighting column is total disrespect. It must be flown at full mast on a flag pole and taken down at night!

Quite the contrary! Leaving your national flag hanging halfway up a lighting column is total disrespect. It must be flown at full mast on a flag pole and taken down at night!

Ok fair point, so maybe they should be asked 'nicely' to hoist our flag to full mast preferably on a suitable pole and to lower at night!!
    Anyway the Tri-Colour has been taken down now, some of you will be pleased to hear.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ardle1 wrote: »
    Ok fair point, so maybe they should be asked 'nicely' to hoist our flag to full mast preferably on a suitable pole and to lower at night!!
    Anyway the Tri-Colour has been taken down now, some of you will be pleased to hear.....

There's loads of them all the way out to the cemetery and they're all at half-mast. I thought some statesman had died recently.

The ceremony at the Republican plot where the Flag is lowered to half mast and the flown again should suffice. It not as if there is need to make a symbolic territorial claim in Dundalk, i'm sure we all firmly know what Country we are in. I really thought SF would have had a greater respect for the Flag as such an important symbol to the organisation. Maybe they will from now on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Maybe they will from now on?

I wouldn't go counting chickens Nesta

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Saw another one on Bridge Street half mast in a lamp post this morning.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Saw another one on Bridge Street half mast in a lamp post this morning.
    Don't believe you!! Gas! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

There does be hundreds of them about Dromiskin if St Jospehs get to a final, Should these be removed when put up too?

There does be hundreds of them about Dromiskin if St Jospehs get to a final, Should these be removed when put up too?

Are they put up for political purposes? If so then yes!

I wont frequent this 'thread' after this post....
    I'm sick and disgusted at some off the posters on this thread, supposedly looking for respect for our National Flag the Beautiful Tri-Colour, if you(you know who you are)had any respect or love at all for our flag, then you would be grateful to Sinn Féin(or anyone) for flying the flag under 'any' circumstances! but no,, you chose to be-little and condescend with your words and explanations off how a National Flag should be flown. .... I can only hazard a guess that said 'people' would ban the Tri-Colour from the jerseys off our National Team!! don't bombard me with political cods-wallop when you read this post.... The flags where flown for Easter for people to admire on their way to the cemetery(dowdalls-hill graveyard) and to respect the Falling off 1916..... you can call it political or you can call it what you want, but if that's the case! you should remember the actual whole meaning off a National Flag is political!! Anyway I say fair play to Sinn Féin....
    2i8dj0z.jpg

Eh, ok.!
    Not much point making accusations and ranting on nothing but assumptions, then bolting for the hills so nobody can refute the scandalous nonsense.
    Typical and not surprising I suppose. ;)
    If you change your mind and do frequent the thread again, please let me know as I have plenty to say about the disrespect for our flag and will do so from my usual apolitical perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Jaysus some people just love to give out! Its your national flag and commemorating the lives of so many who fought for the country we have today!!!

Should be fun on here in 2016..

Advertisement