Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolour at Market Square.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Spin it any way you like, but nobody here has said we should not honour our dead. And more importantly we support honouring our national flag. Those that stuck our flag at half mast on lighting columns and did not take our national flag down at dusk are the ones who do it , our dead, and us a disservice. The principle of commeration is very laudable but the ignorance of how such commeration is marked was the issue.
    It is not about if the flags should be flown or not. Far from it. It's about the way it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Spin it any way you like, but nobody here has said we should not honour our dead. And more importantly we support honouring our national flag. Those that stuck our flag at half mast on lighting columns and did not take our national flag down at dusk are the ones who do it , our dead, and us a disservice. The principle of commeration is very laudable but the ignorance of how such commeration is marked was the issue.
    It is not about if the flags should be flown or not. Far from it. It's about the way it was done.
    Apolitical ?

Anyway "yawn"
    Everythings down bar some high horses and the flag is not flittered on a flagpole as some claimed.

Apolitical?.

Absolutely. I have no allegiance to any political party. This issue with the flags has nothing to do with politics for me. I don't know, nor care, who put them up but I abhor how it was done.

Absolutely. I have no allegiance to any political party. This issue with the flags has nothing to do with politics for me. I don't know, nor care, who put them up but I abhor how it was done.
    GRMA,you just filled my bingo card ;)
    Abhor indeed.

GRMA,you just filled my bingo card ;)
    Abhor indeed.

GRMA? Sorry you lost me there! Some youth thing or other perhaps. But you're very welcome.:)

I haven't played bingo since the mid 50s.

• Advertisement

GRMA? Sorry you lost me there! Some youth thing or other perhaps. But you're very welcome.:)

I haven't played bingo since the mid 50s.

K fisherman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Lads its getting worse than the "flegs" issue up north like move on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The tri colour flag is absolutely revolting to look at. The green one with the harp on it is much nicer looking by a long way. I never understood why people in Ireland started flying that tri monstrosity.

The tri colour flag is absolutely revolting to look at. The green one with the harp on it is much nicer looking by a long way. I never understood why people in Ireland started flying that tri monstrosity.

Maybe because it is our official national flag? Are you serious?

The green flag with a harp is the flag of the 17th century Confederacy of Ireland and an unofficial naval jack of Ireland during the 18th and 19th century. It ceased in 1916.

If the flag you mean has silver strings in the harp then it is the Naval Jack of Ireland and appropriate only to naval vessels and institutions.

I am serious. The tricolour is an ugly flag and whenever I see it, it reminds me of football hooligans.

When I think of Ireland, in my mind I think of culture and history and hundreds of miles of lush green pastures. When I see the green flag with the harp, to me it better represents all of those things.

This is the flag I mean. http://www.ultimateflags.com/images/P/erin-go-bragh-ireland-flag.jpg

BTW Im not saying this for any reason other than what the flag looks like and what it represents to me. I couldn't care less about any political meaning behind either flag.

• Advertisement

I am serious. The tricolour is an ugly flag and whenever I see it, it reminds me of football hooligans.

Tell me more.

I am sure you can work it out for yourself, all of the Old Firm garbage. You know, Scottish people waving an Irish flag for some reason as if it means something to them, in the same way Scottish people fly the Union Jack, its pathetic. The same in Northern Ireland, all of that utter drivel from uneducated morons stuck in the past. It is embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

I am sure you can work it out for yourself, all of the Old Firm garbage. You know, Scottish people waving an Irish flag for some reason as if it means something to them, in the same way Scottish people fly the Union Jack, its pathetic. The same in Northern Ireland, all of that utter drivel from uneducated morons stuck in the past. It is embarrassing really.

Suffering Jesus!!

:eek:

TopBombing wrote: »
    Suffering Jesus!!

:eek:

Jesus is fictitious nonsense as well.

It is time you embraced science and the true reality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Ok say we lose the Tricolour and change to the flag you refer to - no chance it would never appear at a football match like?!?!

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Ok say we lose the Tricolour and change to the flag you refer to - no chance it would never appear at a football match like?!?!

Of course there is every chance that flag would be dragged into the mire, the muppets at these matches would latch onto anything they could use to cause trouble. In the meantime, I will still think "scumbag" everytime I see one.

Well I suppose the common notion here is the abuse or sullying of the National Flag. It has been used as a political tool or as a way to antagonise and I suppose Glasgow is an appropriate example. Scumbags of a far more sinister type than football fans have disgraced our Tricolour love it or loathe it. But your association between the flag and football hooligan is unfortunate. Lets hope there aren't too many who associate it with terror!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

I think there should be tricolours everywhere, tbh i love the little ones on street lamps and the like... as someone else said, the "council" have missed the biggest one flying across the road from the town hall...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

On the subject of flags, is it true that the Town Council have told shopkeepers not to fly Dundalk FC flags ahead of the Setanta Cup Final, and instead they are only permitted to fly Pink flags (which they have also partially funded) in honour of the Giro D'Italia passing through?

TopBombing wrote: »
    On the subject of flags, is it true that the Town Council have told shopkeepers not to fly Dundalk FC flags ahead of the Setanta Cup Final, and instead they are only permitted to fly Pink flags (which they have also partially funded) in honour of the Giro D'Italia passing through?

As a very large proportion of business cant or wont pay the council rates I doubt they would take demands on putting up pink bunting or not putting up Dundalk flags. The council dont have the power to only 'permit' what is to be flown on the business's building (crowes next) as opposed to lamp posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement