Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie questions (again)

Options
  • 15-04-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Do I need to use the services of a VoIP Provider to exclusively make calls from a VoIP phone in one part of the world to another VoIP phone in a different part of the world?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you want to make an IP to IP call you can forward ports to your phone but the likelyhood is that you do not have a fixed ip and you probably do not want to forward any ports from your router. Ideally I would use the same provider and call eachother for free. Forwarding ports can expose your IP phone to VoIP spam, although there have not been much reports of it.

An alternative is to use something like Skype or Viber, both of which have apps available to download onto your smart phone and are free.

The providers listed here support calling landline and mobiles also.

Feel free to shout if you have any other questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

gamblor101 wrote: »
    Do I need to use the services of a VoIP Provider to exclusively make calls from a VoIP phone in one part of the world to another VoIP phone in a different part of the world?

No you don't.

You can use the IP address of the recipient to make the call.

Until recently I used a free Dyndns account for this purpose as I have a dynamic address.
    Unfortunately my free dyndns account is being withdrawn ..... despite all the promises made over the preceding years about it ALWAYS being available free. I guess we have different views of what 'always' means. :(

So yes you can make VOIP calls without any VOIP service provider.

Note: some routers are specifically set up to accommodate this, and thus require no change of settings on the users part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A follow up to describe how I set this up on a Vigor 2910 VG

1. Create a SIP account on the router, ITSP self defining; no-registering; with a number of 1234; standard SIP port 5060. Name this 'My Direct Line' when setting up the account.

2. Set up a dynamic dns service ...... lots of choices in this router.

3. Set up accounts in the Dial Plan for those you wish to ring directly. Outgoing calls to use the account set up in 1. above. The called number in the format of 1234@<recipients IP address> or maybe 1234@<dynamic dns account>

4. The recipient must also set up their end to make and receive such calls ..... that set up is dependent on hardware.

I believe that is all I did to set this up .... it is such a long time ago that I cannot be certain.

Advertisement