Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need weed sheet or not

• 15-04-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I need to decide today whether I want to put weed sheet under bark in large planting beds. Is it worth the extra bit or does it really prevent weeds or take from the overall look?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

It's 50/50 tbh weeds will grow in the bark.it will still need to be sprayed twice a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, the weeds will grow in the bark but they are easier to get out, and generally the sheet will keep down most of the weeds. However I have just removed it from one of my beds as I find that the bark tends to skate around on it and you end up with bald patches, also if you need to change a shrub you have quite a job working through/round the membrane. Plants generally are very happy to be under membrane though. So its a toss up between the various arguments. I would definitely put membrane under pebbles or chippings, but under bark, as vinnie says, its 50/50.

Advertisement