Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying For Teaching Positions (Second Level)

Options
  • 15-04-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all,

New to this so sorry for any mistakes!

I was just wondering what the situation is if there is a vacancy for 2 subjects and you have only one? Should you send in an application or just leave it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Send in a cv! It can do no harm. I would acknowledge in the cover letter that you only have one of the subjects, and say what experience you have of the second subject if relevant.

You don't know what the weighting of the two subjects are time wise, and you don't know if the job is set in stone as those two subjects either.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Thank you!
    I was wondering where it stood etiquette wise!
    I did the second subject for my Leaving and got a good result, so hopefully that will have some bearing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

These days unless you have the two you won't get very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Depends on if the second subject is a timetable filler.
    And if the first subject has a (rare) shortage of subs available.

No harm applying. If you're not in you can't win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

It's probably no harm to send in a CV anyway they might hang on to it for future use.

This is one of the problems with subject combinations and retirements/moving schools. It is very hard to find an exact match of subjects and if you do get it you might not feel that the candidate is right for the school. this is often why jobs are split in two after a retirement although you would be led to believe that its all cynical stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Go for it. They've already deemed you suitable for interview. Did they get you college transcripts or did you state in your application that you have some maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

As long as you are registered they can ask you to teach any subject at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Although in saying that , you should show a desire to at least GET qualified in maths in the long term if that's what you want to teach along with business.

You say you've no experience in teaching maths but competent to teach it!! You might get caught out on that one in an interview. Probably just a matter of phrasing but something to consider. Maybe find out about what you think of Project maths in case you are asked an opinion.

Also you say you did maths in college, I've heard of some business folk doing some add on modules (recommended by the Teaching Council) to bring them up to 'qualified' status. So maybe it's worth exploring if you think you did a good bit of maths in college.

Edit: I just spotted in another thread that you have done a PDE... Did you do maths as a second subject maybe?

Advertisement