Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!!! ESB Problem

Options
  • 15-04-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Help Needed.
    Bought my house a year and four months ago. I was nine months pregnant and in a rush to get a new kitchen put in before baby arrived. To allow for one of the cabinets to go in my husband moved the esb box from under the white box to the right hand side of it. Three esb readers have called in the year to take a reading and yet my bills were still estimated, so when the last guy called I told him I was delighted to see him as im expecting a big bill soon and dont want it to go too high.
    YEsterday a man called to inspect the box. He said the meter was going backwards and was intentionally done. I actually thought he meant someone was tapping into my esb!. He was actually quite aggressive saying whoever moved the box rewired it incorrectly and on purpose too. I told him it couldnt be as I was getting bills (although estimated) and paying them and opened my door to three esb readers within a year.
    He told me it was fraud, took away pins and screws from the board as "evidence", said they take it v seriously and to get a solicitor. Ill have to back pay a years supply of esb and they prosecute. Im sick all night with worry. I explained it to my husband when he got home and he said he must have rewired it incorrectly or something. We didnt realise you are not allowed to move an esb box at all. Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do?
    Im really worried.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

moved to general C&P

if you have exhausted relations between you & the ESB, i think you may want to get your solicitor involved, butr im no expert in such maters. there seems to be a potential hefty fine and imprisonment for tampering with a meter perhaps you should pay the bill and move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie12

Im not disputing bill at all and will pay it of course. He said they will pursue legal action anyway?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@Newbie. Is your husband an electrician?

@docarch no. not at all. The man yesterday explained this is where it is illegal. I honestly didnt know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

newbie12 wrote: »
    @docarch no. not at all. The man yesterday explained this is where it is illegal. I honestly didnt know.
    Regards estimated bills you can submit readings over the phone or online, this avoids large bills piling up.

Very illegal to go at the ESB side of things, there should have been tamper evident tags on the box outlining this, did your husband remove these? Are we correct in saying your husband moved the meter box? And is not an electrician? How did he not kill himself?! Don't want to sound harsh but you're seriously lucky legal proceedings are the worst of your issues.

As others have suggested, contact a solicitor. Don't touch the box.

• Advertisement

the man worked on the box yesterday, its going in correct way now, also he put a seal thing on it yesterday and dated it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement