Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run - Dublin 2014

Options
  • 15-04-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Is anyone doing the Samsung Night run? Or has anyone done it before?

I'm just starting off running so just a beginner so my time is about 80 mins for a 10k. I see that the time limit is 80mins to finish this one! Will I make a fool of myself? Will I be paddy last???!!!!

Thanks

JB x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 capaleen

I ran it last year - short story - it has it's good points especially if you don't have to travel far for it - you (almost definitely) won't come last, more info in this thread here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You won't be last, start near the back and try to set a nice slow pace that you can keep up for the duration, walk for a bit if you need too. There'll be plenty of people in the same boat.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jelly-Bean

Thanks! Ran 10k on Sunday in 70mins so Im confident I wont be last haha

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Anyone get their race number for the run yet?

I didn't get mine & according to this http://samsungnightrun.ie/pdf/Dublin_Booklet_2014.pdf we are supposed to have received them 24h before registration opens tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Lots of better and cheaper 10ks out there for a newbie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

drquirky wrote: »
    Lots of better and cheaper 10ks out there for a newbie!

Indeed. Happily the firm sponsored my entry.

And the organisers just emailed me my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Reesy wrote: »
    Anyone get their race number for the run yet?

I didn't get mine & according to this http://samsungnightrun.ie/pdf/Dublin_Booklet_2014.pdf we are supposed to have received them 24h before registration opens tomorrow morning.

I didn't get mine, my wife got hers , I booked both of us in, I have the confirmation mail though, can't see there been a big problem,

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

ronn wrote: »
    I didn't get mine, my wife got hers , I booked both of us in, I have the confirmation mail though, can't see there been a big problem,

They have names etc at the collection place, can't see it being a problem.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

Another well run event today, perfect weather too.

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Yeah, it was good alright.

Any notion of a pb went out the window early on due to the bunching. I would expect a certain amount of it, at the start say, but it was a problem right the way through out.

That aside, it was very enjoyable and I'm happy to leave the pb til next time!

Btw...I found a medal that another finisher must have dropped. It was too late to hand it back to an official, so if you're reading this and think it's yours please pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

This was the worst race experience I ever had, the entire way round it was so badly overcrowded. The course was dangerous, ridiculously narrow in many places, very poor surface in places and frequent unexpected road furniture and somewhere in the region of 30 corners!
    Nowhere near the standard of previous years or the docklands events. Won't be doing this ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

estariol wrote: »
    This was the worst race experience I ever had, the entire way round it was so badly overcrowded. The course was dangerous, ridiculously narrow in many places, very poor surface in places and frequent unexpected road furniture and somewhere in the region of 30 corners!
    Nowhere near the standard of previous years or the docklands events. Won't be doing this ever again!

The course definitely had more 90 degree corners than most but the route was posted well in advance. I started in the sub 45 zone and it may have been a different story further back, but I found it to be the least congested start Ive been in. The marshals also shouted warnings at the temporary ramps and uneven surfaces. Another water station and possibly lit km markers would have been nice but overall I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Combo.

estariol wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.

I've never felt so nervous doing a race. 1k in and I couldn't wait for the race to be over. Knew it was a novelty race which I probably wouldn't do again but still expected to enjoy it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

I enjoyed it very much. It was my first race ever so I don't have much to compare it too!

I was wondering what happened last night, anyone who was in the orange zone- when we were about 10 minutes in and were at Sir John Rogerson Quay heading towards the Samuel Beckett bridge and people suddenly stopped. I literally thought they stopped for the traffic lights and no one knew what was going on.

Can anyone clarify?

As this was my first race I have been practicing on this route for weeks now and must say for all the times I was out there running I barely saw more than 2 people. Which made me think last night that allot of people who ran the course had never even walked it before. So, in terms of the ground inconsistencies and the bends- I think people should at least go over the course once before the race, that way the bends and road surface won't surprise you.

Again being a first timer; might just be me but people who insist on running together in groups of 3+ are really irritating- impossible to get around, especially on a narrow course. Is it really necessary to run in chain formation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

My wife ran the race last night and believes it was a poor layout and too narrow for 6000 people. Also from talking to another runner the night run did not take any registration from running clubs for the race so novice runners who believed they could run it in 50 mins were in with people who have official club times registered during the year. There was too many runners in the 46-55min category. Pity it had a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

to99 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it very much. It was my first race ever so I don't have much to compare it too!

I was wondering what happened last night, anyone who was in the orange zone- when we were about 10 minutes in and were at Sir John Rogerson Quay heading towards the Samuel Beckett bridge and people suddenly stopped. I literally thought they stopped for the traffic lights and no one knew what was going on.

Can anyone clarify?

As in terms of the ground inconsistencies and o insist on running together in groups of 3+ are really irritating- impossible to get around, especially on a narrow course. Is it really necessary to run in chain formation?

It was just congestion at that point. Too many people turning the tight corner. I noticed some people pulled the barrier up to get around.

That part was too narrow. I wondered why they weren't making use of the part on the left but that was part of the route at around the 8k mark so eventually their would be a contra flow.

Noticed a few people walling. Not running and then walking which is fair enough but walking the whole route. It is definitely not a walking course

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Oh and fair play for running route before race. I'm from Dublin and know area well but don't think I'd be able to work out the route from the map that was posted. Esp the twists from 7k-9k

I really enjoyed it! My friend made me start in the sub 45 zone even though Id never in a million years do that time but it was great to get a head start. I ran at the side so everyone could over take me easier. I ran my best time because of this because I was doing my best to run and keep up and was carried by the crowd. Got a PB of 68.35 so I was delighted!

The course was horrendous though, I agree far to narrow for the amount of people and the roads were in bits. I hate having to constantly look at the ground when running but this had to be done.

Enjoyed it though, and enjoyed the few glasses of wine after!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Jelly-Bean wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it! My friend made me start in the sub 45 zone even though Id never in a million years do that time but it was great to get a head start. I ran at the side so everyone could over take me easier. I ran my best time because of this because I was doing my best to run and keep up and was carried by the crowd. Got a PB of 68.35 so I was delighted!

The course was horrendous though, I agree far to narrow for the amount of people and the roads were in bits. I hate having to constantly look at the ground when running but this had to be done.

Enjoyed it though, and enjoyed the few glasses of wine after!!!

Well done on your PB! You really shouldn't start in a zone that isn't right for you though -- especially when it's nearly 14 minutes off your time (I wouldn't be saying anything if you'd started in sub 45 and run 46 mins :)). I know you stayed out of people's way, and you personally probably didn't block anyone, but if everyone did that it would be chaos!

It's annoying to have to weave around slower people who've started in the wrong place, and it's also not nice to have faster runners thundering past you from behind (I've been in both positions!); it's hard to get into your stride when you're with much faster or slower runners.

PS I know you're new to running, so I don't mean the above in a harsh way. It's just better for everyone if we all start in the right place (I certainly shouldn't be right up the front either! :) Well done on your race and your PB.

Oh god I know, your completely right!!! I felt very uncomfortable at the beginning but my friend made me do it!!!! I def wouldn't do it again. I'd prob start in a slightly faster wave to help me along but def not in a sub 45 ever again haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jelly-Bean wrote: »
    I'd prob start in a slightly faster wave to help me along but def not in a sub 45 ever again haha

It doesn't usually help though - you might run faster in the first few minutes, getting carried away with the crowd. But if you run faster in the first few minutes you will almost always pay for that later in the race, and end up running slower overall.

RayCun wrote: »
    It doesn't usually help though - you might run faster in the first few minutes, getting carried away with the crowd. But if you run faster in the first few minutes you will almost always pay for that later in the race, and end up running slower overall.

Well I got a PB and kept my pace pretty steady through 10k on Sunday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

RayCun wrote: »

That is exactly what happened to me. I planned on starting near the very back, but started in with two of my mates in the 55-62 min group I think it was?

Went flat out for the first 2km even though I knew I needed to maintain a relatively slow but steady pace. This was my first 10k, been training for a while but coming from being completely out of shape and unfit. Ran faster than I'd say I ever have (about 5min per km) and legs completely seized up on the approach to the O2 just after 2km or so. Ended up having to walk for about four/five minutes on the footpath. This is exactly what I intended not to do but I got caught up in the whole thing I guess.

Not only did I lose a lot of time compared to jogging a slow and steady pace for longer, it was psychologically damaging being passed out by so many at such an early stage. Was aiming for doing it in about 66 minutes, ended up well over 70 minutes. Still though, learned a lesson from it and will remember that for the next run.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

People who run in the wrong waves really bothers me. Especially when its slow runners running in the faster waves. My PB over 10km was just over 45 mins and I did consider starting in the green wave but in the end went in the red for some motivation from faster runners. I held my own and kept to the sides and was extremely pleased to cross the line in 42:56.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Glad i done it for the experience. Wont be doing it next year :) It could have been organised better. Id say I walked probably the first 800 metres cause there was so many people. Done it in 52 min so a lot slower than my normal time for 10k. :(

They could have divided the waves better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

dubal wrote: »
    Another well run event today, perfect weather too.

Dubal

Very well run event, great buzz from everyone. Finished in 49.03 so happy with that.

Well done to all that took part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Tight turns, rip off and lots of joggers/ walkers starting in the wrong waves- whats not to like? Well done Samsung and thanks for supporting athletics in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Would anyone know where I might get a copy of the results for the 2014 Dublin event ? I've tried the obvious (I think), as in the event website, athletics Ireland website and I've tried a few of the usual timing companies but no luck. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Would anyone know where I might get a copy of the results for the 2014 Dublin event ? I've tried the obvious (I think), as in the event website, athletics Ireland website and I've tried a few of the usual timing companies but no luck. Thanks.

http://www.chiptiming.co.uk/results/?sport=1&year=2014&event=218&race=106&page=504

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Advertisement