Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB meter problem, going in reverse?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sopretty wrote: »
    If you were intentionally doing it, you would have slowed down the rate of units, not put the thing in reverse. Sure anyone would know that a reduction in units would come to light at some point! That's your defence!
    Yup. Clearly no intention to defraud the ESB of anything, so no fraud charges will be forthcoming but they might still try to prosecute for tampering with the meter (assuming that's an actual offence). I'd hang back and wait and see what they say...the guy at the house is not their legal department!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your hubby shouldn't have touched the esb box as he isn't qualified. I would be concerned as to whether your home insurance would be valid.

I would suggest you contact a qualified electrician to check over the house and certify it.

You NEED to do this first, before you worry about anything else.

You have absolutely no idea how electrically safe the house is or isn't, and it almost certainly isn't insured at the present time.

After that, you can start worrying about how much you owe then, and the criminal conviction that your husband should be getting, after that.

(Personally I'd be looking to trade the husband in for a smarter model too, but that's a topic for a different forum.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

You NEED to do this first, before you worry about anything else.

You have absolutely no idea how electrically safe the house is or isn't, and it almost certainly isn't insured at the present time.

After that, you can start worrying about how much you owe then, and the criminal conviction that your husband should be getting, after that.

(Personally I'd be looking to trade the husband in for a smarter model too, but that's a topic for a different forum.)

I have to say I always thought it was common knowledge that you cannot move or touch meters. So I can't see it as an excuse or holding up, you may just have to face the music, as they say the truth hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your husband illegally tampered with the box and made a balls if it.

What else has he done in the house you need to get checked and certified.

Good luck in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GoWhest

I'd take this with a pinch of salt. If a person is competent enough to move a meter, I can't see them wiring it backwards. Remember the meter is always live as its before the fusebox. Moving it would involve removing the live wires from it, getting the correct type of wire and attaching it to the ESBs wire coming into the house (these would have to be extended to move the meter) and reattach it to the meter, all without being electrocuted. This would be beyond the level of most DIYers, even people with very good electrical knowledge wouldn't attempt this. This is not like wiring a plug (a task that most people with basic electrical knowledge get right). Wiring a meter backwards is an old scam, where the householder wouldn't usually answer the door to the meter reader and submit their own 'estimated' reading. Perhaps the OP didn't mean to let the meter reader in? The ESB are wise to this scam, and will have a strong case. The fact that the meter was moved demonstrates competency in electrical matters, and therefore a claim of ignorance will not be entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 newbie12

But I did leave him in? and ive let three other readers in the year im living in the house also. Im starting to wonder if this could have been the case since we actually moved in? we only moved the box from under the white box to the right of it. Would that require all that you just said? because he I doubt he'd have know how to do all that. Honestly, even if he wanted to, he wouldnt know how to put the clock in reverse.

I'm slightly confused. Isn't the meter outside of the house? Why do you need to let them in at all?

Its in the kitchen. I let them in three times in the last year to take a reading and the man yesterday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'm slightly confused. Isn't the meter outside of the house? Why do you need to let them in at all?

Older houses have the meter indoors - usually over the front door or in the kitchen. Did your husband MOVE the meter, or physically rewire it? Quite often in older houses the meter and mains switch were screwed to a piece of ply which was nailed to the wall - I've seen builders move the board with meter and switch still attached, as long as there was enough slack on the cable to do so.

Yes it was attached to a plank of wood. They were putting up a door and so moved tge box up. But they must have used new screws and stuff because the man from esb was adament it was intentionally tampered with because the screws were new. House was built around 1970 according to engineers report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

newbie12 wrote: »
    But I did leave him in? and ive let three other readers in the year im living in the house also. Im starting to wonder if this could have been the case since we actually moved in? we only moved the box from under the white box to the right of it. Would that require all that you just said? because he I doubt he'd have know how to do all that. Honestly, even if he wanted to, he wouldnt know how to put the clock in reverse.
    It sounds to me like your OH moved the housing for the meter but did not readjust the wiring. He would know this of course - it would take some skill to rewire the meter if unqualifed in this area. Was there a piece of plastic (like a credit card shape) warning attached to the meter prior to your OH moving it? This meter may have been tampered with before you moved in. Being oblivious to the problem and upfront to the ESB guy about moving it may be the first time the ESB have been alerted to a problem. Our bimonthly esb bills are close to 200 estimated often more when read - Did you always have a low estimation since moving in?

Theres a warning on it now that he attached yesterday and he dated it. our bills have been estimated since we moved in. I just found bill for oct/nov last and its only for 40 euro so i presume it was only standing charges. I kept thinking after a reader called the next bill would be actual reading but they were still estimated. In hindsight should have called it in.

What reading does it give for the meter in that bill? What is the meter reading right now?

Current reading at back of bill says 32181 e. At the moment box says 27018. But he put it back to correct direction yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

So thats 5163 units (guessing your unit rate is about 0.18) so thats €930 worth of units plus VAT comes to 1,150.

Take away any units included in your estimates and you should have an idea of whats outstanding.

Sounds like your husband only moved the wooden pallet so talk to him and find out.

Let's assume that the meter wasn't adjusted yesterday....

Since the November bill (estimated) you have used 5163 units at a rate of 0.1701 (excl VAT). That means you should have paid €878,23 + VAT between then and now.

That's only 4 1/2 months of calculation and you say you have been there 16 months! Get hold of the paperwork from when you first moved in and transferred electric into your name and find the meter reading you gave. Don't think you are gonna like the calculations though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Closing- as the OP has opened 3 identical threads in different forums- here, planning and construction, legal discussion. OP- we do not allow posters post the same topic across multiple forums, in the manner you have done. As you seem to be getting more pertinent information over in legal discussion, and you've updated it with details of whats happening- I'm closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement