Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Tyres

• 15-04-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I have a 1998 zx7r and will be commuting from Mullingar to Dublin 5 days a week and the weekend on the twistys.

Sizes are 120/70/17 and 180/55/17

Pilot Road 3 and Interact Z8 are what I'm looking at at the moment.

So I need longevity, good wet grip and good dry grip for the twistys.

Are the Angels any good or Corsa's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

Michelin road pilot 3s or 4s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

+1 for Metzeler Z8 Interacts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Too early to tell with the PR4s, the PR3s are best of all PR series but wear quicker due to a softer compound. PR2's are still brilliant in the wet and last longer as the compound is harder. Another excellent tyre at the moment is the METZELER Z8 tyres....they are meant to be savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If the Metz are cheaper than the PR3's or PR4's I'd seriously consider them.

I'm getting good wear out of PR3's but I really don't think they're worth the extra shillings I paid for them over that of Metz and Bridgestone.

That said I am getting good wear from them, some guys on biker are saying similar but I really don't think they're anything special grip wise.

I only ever run Metzelers on my MT-01 & cannot fault them IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had Pilot Roads 2 & 3 on bikes before, found the both excellent.

I need to familiarise myself with big back tyres because it looks like I'm going to be buying them frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have Avon Storm 2 on my Sv and find them grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I've heard Bridgestone T30's are getting great reviews. I'm gonna give them a shot next but I had a PR2 rear on the R1 and it was fantastic. Sold it with about 5000 miles on it and still loads of life left. I even did the track day training with it and I didn't find it lacking in grip at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I reckon PR3's square off a tad easily, so would be inclined to stick with a PR2 on the rear as long as their available (imo)

As above, have heard good things about the T30's

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    I reckon PR3's square off a tad easily, so would be inclined to stick with a PR2 on the rear as long as their available (imo)

As above, have heard good things about the T30's

Yeah I would agree with that as they are a softer compound. Having said that I have them on my Sprint 1050st since well before Xmas and there is loads left on them. I am hoping to get the summer and my trip to Europe out of my current set.........fingers crossed. :D

I find if ya ride smooth you will get a hell of alot longer outta any tyre. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Local bike shop said he can order any tyre I want but they mainly sell AVON. So its a toss up between getting another set of BT45's or try out the Avon Roadrider tyre they have. Its the usual from researching the tyres, 9 out of 10 people say the Avon is a great tyre and 1 lad comes along and says different. So anyone here use Avons before or the roadrider type. It will be for my 400cc and alot of motorway miles.

Local bike shop said he can order any tyre I want but they mainly sell AVON. So its a toss up between getting another set of BT45's or try out the Avon Roadrider tyre they have. Its the usual from researching the tyres, 9 out of 10 people say the Avon is a great tyre and 1 lad comes along and says different. So anyone here use Avons before or the roadrider type. It will be for my 400cc and alot of motorway miles.
    I run Avon Roadriders on my old Harley Ironhead & I love them, great wear & grip in all weathers, on my second set now.

Contact TyreTec Trading UK Ltd for a great deal on Roadriders...

http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Im running bridgestone t30's front and rear.
    Done nearly 6k miles on them.
    Grip has been flawless.

Based on the current wear I think I'll get to 9-10k miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im running bridgestone t30's front and rear.
    Done nearly 6k miles on them.
    Grip has been flawless.

Based on the current wear I think I'll get to 9-10k miles.

Cheers BA, I currently have the bridgestone bt45 which are fine but If I can get the Avon for cheaper and are of the same quality I will.

@MontsaMash - Looks like I can get them for 153 euro not including delivery from http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/.

How much do they charge for delivery to Ireland. Anybody know the going rate for tyre fitting these days. Between delivery and getting them fitted I might be better off just getting them off the local lad.

@MontsaMash - Looks like I can get them for 153 euro not including delivery from http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/.

How much do they charge for delivery to Ireland.
    I was charged £10 delivery using Parcel Motel, ordered on Thursday, arrived Monday.

Worth checking out Crossan's website, I think they're having a sale this weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Too early to tell with the PR4s, the PR3s are best of all PR series but wear quicker due to a softer compound. PR2's are still brilliant in the wet and last longer as the compound is harder. Another excellent tyre at the moment is the METZELER Z8 tyres....they are meant to be savage.

What he said ^^^ I've been running PR2's on the ZX9 and love them. They were great when I was commuting from Kinnegad to Dublin every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Too early to tell with the PR4s, the PR3s are best of all PR series but wear quicker due to a softer compound.
    Wossack wrote: »

I don't know now, I am about to change my PR3 rear after 19,000 miles. :pac: Going to get PR4 next which is supposed to last longer than PR3. I am not complaining. PR3 front is staying, as it looks good for another 10k miles easy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

positron wrote: »
    I don't know now, I am about to change my PR3 rear after 19,000 miles. :pac: Going to get PR4 next which is supposed to last longer than PR3. I am not complaining. PR3 front is staying, as it looks good for another 10k miles easy. :D

Thats great miles out of a pr3. I will be delighted if mine last that long. What bike have you got them on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

An 03 Fazer (Fzs600). It's probably because the nature of the commute though - Drogheda-Dublin, so mostly M1. Photos of the tyre wear here

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

similar to my commute - Kentstown-Dublin so mostly N2/M2 but I am expecting that to eat into the centre of the tyre before I get the full use of the edges.

Hopefully mine last a while also

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

I fitted a pair of T30 's about 1000 miles ago, my first time trying sports touring tyres .I was running BT016 pro before this.Well pleased so far. Nice feel to them. Fed up with paying €250 a pair and the rear is gone at 2000-2500 miles.

Advertisement