Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

rom wrote: »
    Thanks so much. great info there. Can you recommend anywhere near the strand palace for pasta the day before?

I know Wagamamas is literally around the corner from the Strand palace and that's where I had lunch last year. Lots of Italian restaurants within walking distance. We headed out early enough and go a table handy enough although I reckon a reservation for later in the evening would be required for most places especially, if it's for a table for more than 2 people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I know Wagamamas is literally around the corner from the Strand palace and that's where I had lunch last year. Lots of Italian restaurants within walking distance. We headed out early enough and go a table handy enough although I reckon a reservation for later in the evening would be required for most places especially, if it's for a table for more than 2 people!

Yeah we wandered around a fair bit finding a place to eat last year (about 8 of us) but they were all booked up. There were a few nice Italians up by Covent Garden.
    We finally got a place in this place about 2 doors up from the coal-hole. Food wasn't great though.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah we wandered around a fair bit finding a place to eat last year (about 8 of us) but they were all booked up. There were a few nice Italians up by Covent Garden.
    We finally got a place in this place about 2 doors up from the coal-hole. Food wasn't great though.

By the way, there was a restaurant literally next door to the strand Palace that myself and Gavlor had lunch in and it was spot on. http://www.salieri.co.uk/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are loads of eateries around there, but as said you may find it tricky to get an Italian in the evening before the marathon for more than a couple of people. We booked for one chain Italian down The Strand (forgot the name though) last year for 8 of us only that morning, but be a bit more organised and you'll be able to book a couple of days before. Most people will only figure out that they want to eat somewhere shortly before hand.

robinph wrote: »
    There are loads of eateries around there, but as said you may find it tricky to get an Italian in the evening before the marathon for more than a couple of people. We booked for one chain Italian down The Strand (forgot the name though) last year for 8 of us only that morning, but be a bit more organised and you'll be able to book a couple of days before. Most people will only figure out that they want to eat somewhere shortly before hand.

Zizzi?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So Paula is now confirmed as running from the Championship Start:
    http://womensrunninguk.co.uk/inspiration/paula-radcliffe-talks-wr-marathon-comeback/

Is TRR up for the challenge of beating a world record holder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

So how many people are staying in the Strand Palace? Myself, TRR and another clubmate are in there too.

Me too.

I'm sure they should be giving me a discount at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Me too

Should be a good session after the race so.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Zizzi?

Think it might have been Bella Italia, but there are squillions of eatieries around that area. A quick Google Maps check showed three of just that one chain within a couple of hundred meters of The Strand Palace, and yet more within half a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

How is everyones training going? Weeks are starting to fly by :eek:. Got a 21 miler done at the weekend, so happy enough with how things are going so far.

As I'm away for a few weeks from my UK home address, when the acceptance slips are posted out, can someone update here, as I'll need to let my housesitter know, so they can forward it onto my temporary address :D I'd say some of you are in a similar position!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

RubyK wrote: »
    How is everyones training going? Weeks are starting to fly by :eek:. Got a 21 miler done at the weekend, so happy enough with how things are going so far.

As I'm away for a few weeks from my UK home address, when the acceptance slips are posted out, can someone update here, as I'll need to let my housesitter know, so they can forward it onto my temporary address :D I'd say some of you are in a similar position!

Training's up and down - few niggles here and there. When I think one has cleared up, another pops up to replace it! All part of the fun.

Up to 18 miles long run. Favorite session so far has been 16 miles with 10 at MP. Was wet, windy, freezing cold but got through with consistent splits and was a great confidence boost. 20 miles planned for this weekend and really looking forward to the end of April now.

Will also be away from my *cough* London home when the registration pack arrives so will inform the landlady ;) ,

For a change I've actually been doing some miles so far in the lead up to London. Still nowhere near what I should be doing, but have had a couple of 50+ weeks in a row and have been getting in some double days during the week with running to work and back...or running the long way to the pub to get a medium length run of 15 in. Have also done a couple of parkrun followed by 19 mile run home sessions as well as my long runs.

Hoping that it all ends up being enough to justify a suitable end result this time. I know I get times faster than I should for the miles that I do and although my last two marathons were 3:01 I know I was well capable of sub threes each time but having gone out at a more adventurous target that I'd not quite got the miles in to be able to bluff my way to the finish line. This time I am hoping to have got things closer to right and should be on for a low 2:50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

January went very well for me but been carrying an injury for the past 2 weeks. Haven't run in a week under orders but hoping to get back into it tonight. Fingers crossed for no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Going ok. Still carrying a sore knee but not posing too many issues. had a nice build over the past 4 weeks with my long runs 14-16-18-20. Glad to be hitting 20 with 10 weeks to go or so.

Need to get the pace in now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

This is my first marathon and I'm up to 18+ miles, with 20m planned for this Friday. No niggles yet and had a rub out last week, planning another in about 6 weeks. I'll be doing about 4 x 20/22 lsr's, have the Kinvara HM in 3 weeks, but really enjoying it. The toughest part is the dedication to training and the fact that I do most of my training on my own, mentally its tough. I also will have to let the house sitter know my address for March so no post goes astray.

This is my first marathon and I'm up to 18+ miles, with 20m planned for this Friday. No niggles yet and had a rub out last week, planning another in about 6 weeks. I'll be doing about 4 x 20/22 lsr's, have the Kinvara HM in 3 weeks, but really enjoying it. The toughest part is the dedication to training and the fact that I do most of my training on my own, mentally its tough. I also will have to let the house sitter know my address for March so no post goes astray.

fair play to you, great first marathon to do too! It's worth the training and cold evenings in my opinion.

My own training is going well. If I can keep it together for the next 10 weeks I'll be delighted! January snailed by, but February is flying by.

My build-up is going pretty well too, although I'm lagging a bit on the Sunday mileage. For some reason I started off with a 12 miler first week in January, then ran two more, albeit with mitigating circumstances (bad weather, trips away) before realising I should have started at 16 miles. Anyhoo, 18 easy this weekend, and then 20 the next, with 10 at MP. All going to plan I should have 4 20s and 2 22s under the belt by the first week in April. Speed work is on schedule, 7 @ 7.00pm done today, 8x800m slated for Thursday. It's an easy LSR this weekend, so I might throw in a parkrun. Last week was tough. On Sunday I was due to do 16, but slipped on the stairs in the dark at 6.30am and hurt back/elbow. Couldn't face running so retired hurt to bed. Got up a bit later and did a crazy 7 mile session, pace ranging from 6.50 to 8.30. Monday evening still felt guilty so did 12 recovery miles. 6 mile tempo on Tuesday, 6x800m Thursday, Tymon parkrun Saturday, then 16 with 8 @ MP Sunday. Took yesterday off, then tempo today. If I can build up to the 22 miler with 14 @ MP, I'll be pretty confident. Reasonably confident.

whats the target time davedanon?

• Advertisement

whats the target time davedanon?

Sub-3.15, TRR

davedanon wrote: »
    6 mile tempo on Tuesday, 6x800m Thursday, Tymon parkrun Saturday, then 16 with 8 @ MP Sunday.

That's a hell of a lot of 'sessions' in one week Dave. I'd imagine it would be counterproductive if anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Training is going ok - getting out 4 times a week and a couple of 20 minute core sessions at home too. Did the half in Mount Juliet last Saturday at a quick enough pace. Hitting 18 for the first time this weekend. Planning on doing 3 x 20 milers with a step back week in between each one - probably 12-14. Might push on to 22 for the middle one. Reading some of the posts here makes me think I could be doing with a little more.
    My ahem house in London is in the process of being sold at the moment:eek: So I rang the helpline and told them my company was transferring me to Ireland for 6 months and should I give a different UK address or would an Irish one be ok. They said an Irish address is fine - just email them with the details. That was last week. Rang this morning and they have my 'temporary' Irish address on their system now. Happy days:D

That is a handy tip and great of them to accommodate the change of address.

I suggest that people forget about this work around until this time next year though, and don't be suggesting it to people on next years 2016 thread until the last minute or some kind of similar problem for peoples London addresses as it could easily be stopped if they think it's getting abused.

Training is going ok - getting out 4 times a week and a couple of 20 minute core sessions at home too. Did the half in Mount Juliet last Saturday at a quick enough pace. Hitting 18 for the first time this weekend. Planning on doing 3 x 20 milers with a step back week in between each one - probably 12-14. Might push on to 22 for the middle one. Reading some of the posts here makes me think I could be doing with a little more.
    My ahem house in London is in the process of being sold at the moment:eek: So I rang the helpline and told them my company was transferring me to Ireland for 6 months and should I give a different UK address or would an Irish one be ok. They said an Irish address is fine - just email them with the details. That was last week. Rang this morning and they have my 'temporary' Irish address on their system now. Happy days:D

I hope they are not reading here like they were a few years ago ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Looking at the Heathrow express from Friday to Monday its like 70 pounds return for 2 of us (not each). Is seems that it would take about 30 mins with the tube. Tube says it taking about 45 mins to Charing cross. Any recommendations or way to get the Heathrow express cheaper? 35 pounds for 15 mins each way on a train is crazy 48 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Heading over to London myself for my third marathon major in three years (Boston 2013/14), Training ok, had a horrible winter, did very little and went waaay overboard at Christmas. I got started back the second week of Jan and progressed nicely. My goal is to enjoy the experience without killing myself and to achieve a gfa for 2016 which is sub 3:15 presently.(unless they bring it down!) So with that in mind, Ill be aiming for sub 3:10. Im nowhere near running a pb but im optimistic of a sub 3:10.
    18 tomorrow morning, not really feeling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Sosa wrote: »
    Heading over to London myself for my third marathon major in three years (Boston 2013/14), Training ok, had a horrible winter, did very little and went waaay overboard at Christmas. I got started back the second week of Jan and progressed nicely. My goal is to enjoy the experience without killing myself and to achieve a gfa for 2016 which is sub 3:15 presently.(unless they bring it down!) So with that in mind, Ill be aiming for sub 3:10. Im nowhere near running a pb but im optimistic of a sub 3:10.
    18 tomorrow morning, not really feeling it!

How was it Sosa? I did 18 myself Friday morning and the last 3 were a slog. Pace dropped right back and I could feel it in the thighs and knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

How was it Sosa? I did 18 myself Friday morning and the last 3 were a slog. Pace dropped right back and I could feel it in the thighs and knees.

Went well enough. Weather was horrendous, lashing rain and high winds first 11 miles which were slow as a result but then rattled out 7 strong miles to finish...all in all, very pleased to get it done. No pains just feel weary after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Do you need to bring the acceptance form which was sent out last October, when collecting race no. from the expo? Or is there another form being posted out with the final instructions next month (my acceptance form has gone missing :eek:).

Advertisement