Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am up home on Friday. Hope all my clubs letters arrive by then :pac:

As your 'roommate', I hope so too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Hi All

I'm doing a Step-a-thon to raise money for my London marathon charity, Starlight.

Just wondering if anyone has a scientific or accurate number for the average number of steps in a full marathon?

I'm getting figures of between 30,000 steps to 78,000 steps.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm doing a Step-a-thon to raise money for my London marathon charity, Starlight.

Just wondering if anyone has a scientific or accurate number for the average number of steps in a full marathon?

Thanks in advance!
    I always carry my phone while running (just in case of emergency) so just checked for you there.
    Dublin last October I took approximately 37342 steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Hi All

Thanks in advance!

It really depends upon how fast you run it! The number of steps taken per minute does vary from person to person but I'd guess most would be in the region of 160 - 180 whereas the time spent running varies from 2 hrs to 6 or even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

This time 5 weeks we will be all wrapped up in cotton wool.
    Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

neilc wrote: »
    I always carry my phone while running (just in case of emergency) so just checked for you there.
    Dublin last October I took approximately 37342 steps.

Thank you both for the info.

Yes that's correct, the number of steps in a marathon is dependent on the stride of the runner. Which leads me to question is there an average stride distance?

I would have a long stride distance so I am happy to go with 37,342 steps in a marathon. Plus when I was doing the Cork marathon think I read something like 40,000 steps on posters on the marathon finish line.

Really looking forward to all this, it's my 8th full marathon in 3 years and the 1st outside of Ireland!

Keep up the training and take a rest in the days leading up to the big day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thank you both for the info.

Yes that's correct, the number of steps in a marathon is dependent on the stride of the runner. Which leads me to question is there an average stride distance?

I would have a long stride distance so I am happy to go with 37,342 steps in a marathon. Plus when I was doing the Cork marathon think I read something like 40,000 steps on posters on the marathon finish line.

Really looking forward to all this, it's my 8th full marathon in 3 years and the 1st outside of Ireland!

Keep up the training and take a rest in the days leading up to the big day! :D

There is of course an average but bthere isn't a standard. This may sound counter-intuitive but the longer your stride the faster you run however trying to take long strides will make you slower and for many people attempting to shorten your stride will actually cause you to speed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Did my second of three 20 milers yesterday. Felt good halfway so decided to push on and actually did 22. The last few were tough going and my pace dropped noticeably. On the plus side I'm sort of now starting to taper and I'll do my last 20 miler on Easter sunday...... Followed by loads of chocolate goodies I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

A key session completed yesterday, 20 miler made up of 5 Miles @7:15ish ,Mallow 10 at half marathon pace 6:15 and 5 after at 7:20ish ,avg for the day 6:46,hopefully a good sign that sub 3 should be someway comfortable.

gearoidol wrote: »
    A key session completed yesterday, 20 miler made up of 5 Miles @7:15ish ,Mallow 10 at half marathon pace 6:15 and 5 after at 7:20ish ,avg for the day 6:46,hopefully a good sign that sub 3 should be someway comfortable.

That's good running Gearoid. I'll hopefully be hitting the 20 mile mark on the day when your crossing the finish line.

• Advertisement

That's good running Gearoid. I'll hopefully be hitting the 20 mile mark on the day when your crossing the finish line.

Make that 21. Fingers crossed I'll be able to keep the pace going to break 3:45

Make that 21. Fingers crossed I'll be able to keep the pace going to break 3:45

if you see me on the side of the road ,pause my garmin :)

That's great running, you look to be well on top of things. I had an important MP long run on Saturday. The first one I did was 8m@7.22 but it was a few weeks ago now, and I needed to skip 10 and go straight to 12, if I'm going to reach the goal of 14m@MP before thatLondon. Was going to do 22 overall, but decided 20 was fine. Did 5 easy, then 12m@7.19, organising it so that the last three miles, just about, was Tymon Parkrun, so thanks folks for the opportunity to piggyback. It really helped having the frontrunners stream past me. I stopped to chat with clubmates etc for a while after, so the legs had stiffened up quite a bit, and I was quite happy to gently jog back up home. Got 19 done in all, so very happy with progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

And all done in your regular training shoes i.e not your racers ;)
    Well done again! See you at the track shortly.

Your flying with your training, that being said...the sub 3 is certainly on the cards but not sure how comfortable any marathon is at miles 22...23...24 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

davedanon wrote: »
    That's great running, you look to be well on top of things. I had an important MP long run on Saturday. The first one I did was 8m@7.22 but it was a few weeks ago now, and I needed to skip 10 and go straight to 12, if I'm going to reach the goal of 14m@MP before thatLondon. Was going to do 22 overall, but decided 20 was fine. Did 5 easy, then 12m@7.19, organising it so that the last three miles, just about, was Tymon Parkrun, so thanks folks for the opportunity to piggyback. It really helped having the frontrunners stream past me. I stopped to chat with clubmates etc for a while after, so the legs had stiffened up quite a bit, and I was quite happy to gently jog back up home. Got 19 done in all, so very happy with progress.

Haha, I was wondering why there were pictures of you at the Parkrun holding a water bottle ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, I was wondering why there were pictures of you at the Parkrun holding a water bottle ;)

Were you thinking I had joined the RSP?

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    And all done in your regular training shoes i.e not your racers ;)
    Well done again! See you at the track shortly.

Your flying with your training, that being said...the sub 3 is certainly on the cards but not sure how comfortable any marathon is at miles 22...23...24 etc.

thanks a lot,

great to see you running in that company,gives us all a little belief that it is possible with the right amount of work,great result and also at that 4 miler.

It was a great training run to simulate that feeling of the last few miles of the marathon,at 16-17 comfortable out and like a light switch all changed at 19 and became a hard effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Good to hear training going well for everyone, some impressive long runs in there. Last week I had a 37.26 half marathon and a 20 miler (with last four miles sub 3hr pace) on Sunday.

I'm following a P&D plan to have a crack at sub-3, but was never really too confident throughout my training. Feels like somethings clicked in the last week though and now I'm at least ready to give it a good crack. I need to find 74 seconds on my PB set last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

Is there anything on the number regarding your name or indicating if you are m/f?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is there anything on the number regarding your name or indicating if you are m/f?

I am not sure, don't remember there being except in the UK championship runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Hi guys,

why, thinking about getting a sex change in the next few weeks ;)

Don't think there is anything to distinguish males and females in GFA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hi guys,

Nope, but if they spot the change then both people will be permanently banned from any UKA licensed event.

As meno said the championship numbers are different, I'd also expect them to spot if a female GFA number ended up running a faster than expected time, or even just a bloke under 50 wearing a green start GFA number would stand out like a sore thumb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There isn't, but there is. A female with a sub 3:15 would be expected to be running in the championship start, you'd maybe see 1 or 2 women starting from the red GFA start who happen to be UK resident, but not a member of a club. A bloke with a green GFA number had best be looking old.

It is also possible that it would get spotted when they go through the photos, as they are all tagged by the photographers for male/female/red top/ blue top/ stripey top/ vest/ long sleve/ hat/ shades/etc/etc for when the race number wasn't visible. That then lets you go through and find photos that have not had a clear number caught in the photo by searching for all people wearing a particular colour outfit.

They will probably not spot it. I wouldn't risk it. But I run a lot of UKA licensed races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Not a sex change but maybe a heart transplant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Am in Kilkenny for the weekend 2 weeks before London and need to fit in a Medium-Long run including a chunk of Marathon-paced miles at about 6.30 pace. Need somewhere reasonably safe and not too hilly to get it done. Don't know the local geography that well. Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Registration form arrived today. :D

Looks like the route has changed a bit though the Canary Warf area with one less loop back between the skyscrapers. They instead have us doing a bit extra looping around a roundabout, can't tell if it is the bit underground or not, and then up and down some dual carridgeway slip roads.

robinph wrote: »
    Registration form arrived today. :D

Arrived up north as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Email received today, with running number confirmation and final instructions. Getting close now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Just reading the final instructions - it says there are no services from Charing Cross to Greenwich (red start) or Maze hill (Green start). Instead you have to use Cannon Street or London Bridge.

So my question is, how far walking distance are these stations from Charing cross area (staying at the Amba Hotel, beside Charing cross).

Advertisement