Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Got my email too. A little light reading for the weekend too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Wasnt feeling well last week for a number of reasons, think I had some kind of a bug. Took the week off. Did 12mile last night and now I am very sore, like I haven't ran in 3 months. Worried, do a long one tomorrow hopefully and get through that I will sleep more easy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RubyK wrote: »
    Just reading the final instructions - it says there are no services from Charing Cross to Greenwich (red start) or Maze hill (Green start). Instead you have to use Cannon Street or London Bridge.

So my question is, how far walking distance are these stations from Charing cross area (staying at the Amba Hotel, beside Charing cross).

That's a bit rubbish for the red starters. Further than you want to be walking unnecessarily that morning.

There might be a more suitable route, RK or BrianD will probably jump in if so, but from looking at Google Maps I think stroll down the hill beside Charing Cross to Embankment, then get a Circle or District line to Mansion House or Monument and then walk to Cannon Street for the overground train. I've never actually taken the underground on the morning of the marathon so I'm not sure how it works with getting through the barriers without using an Oyster card, but those central stations will hopefully have someone manning the gate to let people with race numbers through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just reading the final instructions - it says there are no services from Charing Cross to Greenwich (red start) or Maze hill (Green start). Instead you have to use Cannon Street or London Bridge.

So my question is, how far walking distance are these stations from Charing cross area (staying at the Amba Hotel, beside Charing cross).

:mad: That's a bummer.
    Google maps is saying a 40 minute walk for both but you can get the yellow line from embankment to Cannon street (6 minutes). All public transport will be free with a bib.

robinph wrote: »
    That's a bit rubbish for the red starters. Further than you want to be walking unnecessarily that morning.

There might be a more suitable route, RK or BrianD will probably jump in if so, but from looking at Google Maps I think stroll down the hill beside Charing Cross to Embankment, then get a Circle or District line to Mansion House or Monument and then walk to Cannon Street for the overground train. I've never actually taken the underground on the morning of the marathon so I'm not sure how it works with getting through the barriers without using an Oyster card, but those central stations will hopefully have someone manning the gate to let people with race numbers through.

Snap :pac:
    When I stayed out in Earls Court two years ago we were able to take the tube no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks Robin, yep it's a bit disappointing, I'm in the green start, and booked the Amba as it would be hassle free getting to the startline, as I don't know London at all :rolleyes: Ah well, at least they haven't moved the finishline, it's only a short hobble back to the hotel.

Thanks for the route tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

For those who received emails / confirmations in the post - which entry avenue did you go down? GFA, overseas, uk ballot?

I'm UK Ballot and haven't got anything.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thanks Robin, yep it's a bit disappointing, I'm in the green start, and booked the Amba as it would be hassle free getting to the startline, as I don't know London at all :rolleyes: Ah well, at least they haven't moved the finishline, it's only a short hobble back to the hotel.

Thanks for the route tips.

If you're in the Green Start do you not want to be going to Blackheath?

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    For those who received emails / confirmations in the post - which entry avenue did you go down? GFA, overseas, uk ballot?

I had a GFA entry
    If you're in the Green Start do you not want to be going to Blackheath?

Says on the instructions, Green Start travel to Maze hill station.

Sorry, ignore that. I see which way they are sending you from Maze Hill now to get to the Green start.

• Advertisement

I've been on google maps, and if I walk to embankment (.2mile) then take the district line to Cannon street (6 mins) and and from there onwards to Maze Hill (15 min).

Not sure if they give you the links in the email, but for those of you missing out on the magazine here is a link to the actual important information:
    http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/vmlm2014/live/uploads/cms_page_media/385/2015%20Virgin%20Money%20London%20Marathon%20Final%20Instructions.pdf

The rest of the magazine of course just being adverts from various charities asking you to run for them.

I've been on google maps, and if I walk to embankment (.2mile) then take the district line to Cannon street (6 mins) and and from there onwards to Maze Hill (15 min).

Yep, except Cannon Street is not actually an underground station so you'll have to get off at Mansion House and back in at the overground station.

Yep, except Cannon Street is not actually an underground station so you'll have to get off at Mansion House and back in at the overground station.

Thanks Robin, I haven't a clue re underground/overground!

I think most of us will be doing the same!!

Not sure if they give you the links in the email, but for those of you missing out on the magazine here is a link to the actual important information:
    http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/vmlm2014/live/uploads/cms_page_media/385/2015%20Virgin%20Money%20London%20Marathon%20Final%20Instructions.pdf

The rest of the magazine of course just being adverts from various charities asking you to run for them.

Ah, hold on!!
    So fast GFA go with the Blue start and championchip runners to Blackheath via Charing Cross?

Phew :D

Just spotted in the instructions that they have changed the most difficult part of the course...

...the bit where you would have to clamber up a ramp after the finish line in order for someone to remove your timing chip is no more. This year they are letting us keep our timing chip as a "memento". Not sure that I'll be that emotionally attached to the timing chip to want to keep it as a souvenir, but I like the idea of not having to walk up and down the ramp.

It won't affect any of us but I also see they have learned from last years disaster and are starting the Elite wheelchair race before the elite females this year.

Thanks Robin, I haven't a clue re underground/overground!

All you need to know regarding undergound, overground and wombling free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQMMPFtoG4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is there a difference between "Fast Good for Age" and "Good for Age"?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between "Fast Good for Age" and "Good for Age"?

Yes.

Fast Good For Age will be the sub 3:15 people put in the front pen of the Red starts. That is basically 100% blokes in that pen as any faster women will generally be in the Blue Championship start.

Good For Age of all other times will be in the Green start with the z-list celebrities.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'm UK ballot and got an envelope yesterday but I'm away at the moment so not sure what's in it, though I do know my number was in it. I'm not even sure what start I would be - I'm old and slow so if anyone can let me know which start that is I'll have a look at the links above for getting to the start line.

I've just got an email as well but no time to read it - it looks like the same bumf I've been getting for the last few months but I'll have a look later and get back to you

I'm UK ballot and got an envelope yesterday but I'm away at the moment so not sure what's in it, though I do know my number was in it. I'm not even sure what start I would be - I'm old and slow so if anyone can let me know which start that is I'll have a look at the links above for getting to the start line.

I've just got an email as well but no time to read it - it looks like the same bumf I've been getting for the last few months but I'll have a look later and get back to you

I think that if you entered via ballot then you'd be Blue start, through a charity then Red start. Once you know your race number though then have a look at the details on page 12 of the final instructions doc to be sure:

Thanks for the info - I'm a Blue Start.

RunRoryRun you have until 8th April to receive your envelope and if you don't contact them here
    020 7902 0200 or email helpdesk at london-marathon.co.uk

Sorry I cant post the link as I'm a new user, someone else maybe able to assist with that.

Good luck

Just did my last 20 mile LSR - wasn't my finest hours but I'm glad its over.

Tapering now, getting excited. Four weeks on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think most of us will be doing the same!!

DO NOT FOLLOW THIS MAN TO THE MARATHON (or to the hotel after the post marathon drinks :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just did my last 20 mile LSR - wasn't my finest hours but I'm glad its over.

Tapering now, getting excited. Four weeks on sunday

30 day taper??

pistol_75 wrote: »
    30 day taper??

Is that too much? I thought I was following last years Boards plan for DCM but maybe I started earlier than the plan. I do my lsr on Fridays and I have an 18m, 14m and then 8m and then its race week. Should I be doing more? I've done 4/5 18+ long runs, with next week to come. Its my first marathon and I won't be breaking any speed barriers so I'm quite happy with my progress, but always open to more info

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

I applied through UK ballot but changed my address last month as I moved back to ireland. I got the email today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Anyone going from the strand palace to the GFA start? Very much lost on where to go now :(
    Should GFA get an email also as there is nothing in inbox. What was the from address.

Advertisement