Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rom wrote: »
    Anyone going from the strand palace to the GFA start? Very much lost on where to go now :(
    Should GFA get an email also as there is nothing in inbox. What was the from address.

Most of us are and it's very straight forward.
    Get the Train from Charing cross to Blackheath (assumng fast GFA (sub 3:15) i.e. red number)
    It seems some people are getting an email but most of us got the magazine and reg form delivered to our UK address

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

menoscemo wrote: »
    Most of us are and it's very straight forward.
    Get the Train from Charing cross to Blackheath (assumng fast GFA (sub 3:15) i.e. red number)
    It seems some people are getting an email but most of us got the magazine and reg form delivered to our UK address

Ah. Re read it again. Was worried about that. Thats grand and easy. Single train. Is there much of a walk the otherside? The multiple starts are crazy.

Ah. Re read it again. Was worried about that. Thats grand and easy. Single train. Is there much of a walk the otherside? The multiple starts are crazy.

Not really, it's all very self explanatory.

Luckily we can only get the train to Blackheath from Charring Cross this year. As Gavlor alluded too, we managed to get one of the trains going to a different start pen last year and then ended up about 10 miles away before realising it wasn't stopping in Blackheath :pac:

Anyway we can meet up in the strand lobby on the morning of the race and head down together. There must be about 10 of us from on here staying in The Strand and going to Blackheath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Green gfa start for me :-(. Will miss red fast gfa from last year. Wouldn't mind used the same qualifying time as last year too (3:10:28). Wonder did they look up and see last years detonation!!

neilc wrote: »
    Green gfa start for me :-(. Will miss red fast gfa from last year. Wouldn't mind used the same qualifying time as last year too (3:10:28). Wonder did they look up and see last years detonation!!

That's interesting, maybe they moved the 'Fast' GFA cut off to sub 3:10.
    I used the same time as before and I didn't even finish last year but I get to stay in the fast GFA pen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's interesting, maybe they moved the 'Fast' GFA cut off to sub 3:10.
    I used the same time as before and I didn't even finish last year but I get to stay in the fast GFA pen....
    yeah must be something like that. cut off time possibly changes up or down every year depending on quality of qualifing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Just got my registration pack today forwarded on to my correct address ;) - looking at the map there's 2 lucozade sport gels stations at 14 & 21 miles. Don't want to wear a gel belt this year, so will probably carry 2 gels in my pocket and hopefully pick up a couple at the gel stations. Never tried lucozade sport gels - anyone know where I can pick ones up to try out beforehand (I don't want a box, just a couple to try out on a run). Normally use high 5 gels but never have any real issues with gels during training runs. Is it risky not trying them out beforehand - I normally take 4 gels during a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If you're used to the High5 gels with the water/juice-like consistency, as I am, then squeeze one of those gloopy sachets into your gob, that would be more than a bit disconcerting. So I say never try something new during a race without you've tried it beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Any recommendations on where is best to watch? Or if there were a couple of places that could be accessed.

Was meant to be running but had to pull out. Still going to go and spend the weekend with the O/H as it is paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on where is best to watch? Or if there were a couple of places that could be accessed.

Was meant to be running but had to pull out. Still going to go and spend the weekend with the O/H as it is paid for.

Sorry to hear that, another injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Can you defer, I deferred from last year to this year.

Re viewing points, my husband didn't venture far, but was at the embankment, at mile 25. Said he had a great view, and spotted me no problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The very close together spots on the course would be mile 6 and then anything from 16-20. Mile 6 gives you some touristy things to tick off as you have the Cutty Sark (very, very crowded for spectators), you can then take the foot tunnel under the river and pop out at about mile 16.5. That will be a fairly empty spot for spectators.
    Or you can walk/ DLR a bit further up towards Canary Warf and see miles 15 and 18 without having to move a step, or anywhere else between the office blocks which will be very noisy and crowded. You should then also be able to make it along to the end of the Embankment before whoever you are watching gets there by hopping on the DLR and underground.
    Tower Bridge is very, very crowded, but just before then is fairly empty for support (it's all relative). If you have a good spot on the north side/ Tower of London then you'll not need to move and you'll have the leaders going past on one side at mile 22, just as the masses go past on the other at mile 13. You'll not as easily be able to make it to another viewing spot from here though in time to see people again.
    Miles 7-11 tend to be fairly empty of supporters, but with pockets of big crowds. That area will be difficult to get to and from though so avoid and leave it to the locals to support along there.

If you want to see the same person in several spots then Cutty Sark, Isle of Dogs, Embankment is your best bet. That goes for if you are watching the leaders or anyone doing back to about 3hr pace. It could become a bit of a challenge to get through the supporters from that pace on though as that when most runners start to come through, so is also when most supporters try to get to various viewing points as well.

http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/vmlm2014/live/uploads/cms_page_media/117/0-the%20Finish%20-%20The%20complete%20set.pdf

Familiarise yourself with the underground map, and the names of various stations near the different spots and what colour line you are looking for. Don't expect the underground map to bear any resemblance to the course map geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Sorry to hear that, another injury?
    RubyK wrote: »
    Can you defer, I deferred from last year to this year.

Re viewing points, my husband didn't venture far, but was at the embankment, at mile 25. Said he had a great view, and spotted me no problem.

I deferred last year due to injury. Not injured this year but was advised last week to forget about intensive running due to an underlying heart issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I deferred last year due to injury. Not injured this year but was advised last week to forget about intensive running due to an underlying heart issue.

Sorry to hear that, but its better to get that information than to find out when too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

A man without a plan here.
    Entered in December all gung ho and just never found the training Mojo. Im in decent shape for shorter distances having concentrated on some speed work this spring but simply dont have the miles done for a crack at a decent marathon.

London is a great event and im sure ill enjoy just trotting around whilst the rest of you are flogging yourselves half to death. That being said do any of you have any suggestions to make the run/jog more meaningful?

My wife and kids were looking through the Guiness Book Of Records recently and noted that the current record for a male crab(yes, gender specific) is 3:36.....I could definately manage that. Just 2 issues, finding a crab costume at short notice and the question of whether I would be required to run sideways....:)

All suggestions welcome. The more entertaining the better :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    A man without a plan here.
    Entered in December all gung ho and just never found the training Mojo. Im in decent shape for shorter distances having concentrated on some speed work this spring but simply dont have the miles done for a crack at a decent marathon.

London is a great event and im sure ill enjoy just trotting around whilst the rest of you are flogging yourselves half to death. That being said do any of you have any suggestions to make the run/jog more meaningful?

My wife and kids were looking through the Guiness Book Of Records recently and noted that the current record for a male crab(yes, gender specific) is 3:36.....I could definately manage that. Just 2 issues, finding a crab costume at short notice and the question of whether I would be required to run sideways....:)

All suggestions welcome. The more entertaining the better :)

You will need to register with them that you are going for the target, they will then be waiting for you at the finish with certificate and camera to get the publicity shots.

Not worth going for superheros, babies, or faries at this stage as those times are probably far too fast to be doing at an easy pace.

This page shoes the time for a crustacean as being 3:55 from last year, and the guys costume, I guess it has been lowered since then:
    http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2014/4/virgin-london-marathon-2014-all-the-world-records-from-this-years-race-confirmed-56738

Anyone not get an email. Am under fast GFA and no post or email yet.

Did you get nothing to your UK address? That happened me last year and I rang the office and they resent it fairly quickly. You will have your number already to quote from the magazine you got back in October...

My stuff arrived up north last week and was posted down on Friday but still waiting....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Got mine last week at my UK address. I seen a comment last week on FB that if you've not received by 8th April to give them a ring and they will re-send. However if UK address you should have by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Delighted to say that mine has arrived at my UK address ;)

No email, just snail mail.

• Advertisement

Rang them and they are posting me out another one. Very easy to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

I missed the deadline to apply this year for next year, just wondering I have a GFA from Dublin 2013 is this now no good? I live in london if that makes any difference

I missed the deadline to apply this year for next year, just wondering I have a GFA from Dublin 2013 is this now no good? I live in london if that makes any difference

Gfa applications are in the summer sometime. Your 2013 time won't do for 2016 but are you running a marathon before the summer ?

Ok, so today was my keystone session, 18 miles with 14@MP pace, coming at the end of a tough week (8m tempo, 10x800 Yasso, 60 miles total) and, I'm a bit.......meh about it. Took off with the crew from the club this morning, and ended up running with one guy, who said he would stay with me as long as he could. He's sub-3, but a bit out of sorts the last while. The plan was to run MP+20% the first four miles, as per P&D (roughly 9min miles), but the second and third were 8.10/7.45, which I didn't realise until checking the watch. So felt a bit rushed and unprepared when the MP kicked off. Pal lasted less than a mile before dropping back a bit, then stayed about 30 metres back until the 4 mile mark, whence he disappeared altogether (had a knee problem). turned into Kiltipper park at the waterworks, then had to stop for a, excuse me, Jack White. Got going again, thinking that the mostly downhill going through the old folks home, around by Tallaght stadium and down the bypass would make things easier. It did, but I still wasn't running as easily as I wanted. All this time I was averaging about 7.20 (MP 7.26), but I could feel the energy dissipating, and eventually I stopped for a breather under the M50 bridges after running down Main St. from Tallaght village. I had 12m done, with another 6 to go, and I was quailing at the prospect. Anyway, got going again, and debated with myself whether I should A) stop, B) keep going, only slower, or what. In the end, I slogged through it by running 2 miles, then stopping, running another mile, then stopping, and then running a further mile, before finally settling into a slightly slower pace (7.30) which allowed me to run the last two miles back to the club. 18 miles, as per, 7.38 overall, 7.23 for the 14 miles. I don't know whether to be happy or otherwise about this. In an ideal scenario, I would have knocked off the 14 in 7.20 without incident. Pray tell, what is the general feeling regarding taking little breaks during runs not intended to feature same?

davedanon wrote: »
    Ok, so today was my keystone session, 18 miles with 14@MP pace, coming at the end of a tough week (8m tempo, 10x800 Yasso, 60 miles total) and, I'm a bit.......meh about it. Took off with the crew from the club this morning, and ended up running with one guy, who said he would stay with me as long as he could. He's sub-3, but a bit out of sorts the last while. The plan was to run MP+20% the first four miles, as per P&D (roughly 9min miles), but the second and third were 8.10/7.45, which I didn't realise until checking the watch. So felt a bit rushed and unprepared when the MP kicked off. Pal lasted less than a mile before dropping back a bit, then stayed about 30 metres back until the 4 mile mark, whence he disappeared altogether (had a knee problem). turned into Kiltipper park at the waterworks, then had to stop for a, excuse me, Jack White. Got going again, thinking that the mostly downhill going through the old folks home, around by Tallaght stadium and down the bypass would make things easier. It did, but I still wasn't running as easily as I wanted. All this time I was averaging about 7.20 (MP 7.26), but I could feel the energy dissipating, and eventually I stopped for a breather under the M50 bridges after running down Main St. from Tallaght village. I had 12m done, with another 6 to go, and I was quailing at the prospect. Anyway, got going again, and debated with myself whether I should A) stop, B) keep going, only slower, or what. In the end, I slogged through it by running 2 miles, then stopping, running another mile, then stopping, and then running a further mile, before finally settling into a slightly slower pace (7.30) which allowed me to run the last two miles back to the club. 18 miles, as per, 7.38 overall, 7.23 for the 14 miles. I don't know whether to be happy or otherwise about this. In an ideal scenario, I would have knocked off the 14 in 7.20 without incident. Pray tell, what is the general feeling regarding taking little breaks during runs not intended to feature same?

I won't worry about it. The most I have ever done at MP is 10M. Actually did 10M today @ MP as part of a 15M run.

Thats a bit week mileage for you too. The legs will be fresh with the taper.

The session was 1M wu, 4,3,2,1M @ MP with 1M easy in between and 1M wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

10m @ MP on Saturday followed by 20 miles yesterday @ MP plus 30-45 seconds. Did the last 4 at MP and felt strong like I could have continued. Training has gone as well as I could have hoped for. Missed the odd session here and there but stayed injury free so touch wood that continues. New runners, shorts and top all worn in and ready. I've gone for a vest for the first time ever as I'm thinking London could be very hot. I love the unrestricted feeling in it especially at the high mileage - should have invested in one years ago. Taper time now so trying to make sure I don't pile on too much weight and keep eating sensibly as the training eases off. Don't want to be carting any extra baggage around with me come race day.
    The final instructions magazine emailed through a few weeks ago is 19
    Pages long but near the end under Meet & Greet it talks about a map for spectators on page 178???? If this a typo or is there another magazine given out at the expo maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

The final instructions magazine emailed through a few weeks ago is 19
    Pages long but near the end under Meet & Greet it talks about a map for spectators on page 178???? If this a typo or is there another magazine given out at the expo maybe??

Not a typo......the physical magazine has this at page 178. You can find it all on the website under spectator info. They've just copied and pasted sections of it into the email.

Got my race pack today!

Somehow what was supposed to be a busy weekend of DIY and eating chocolate ended up with me also completing my longest ever mileage week.* Now I'm knackered from running, knackered from DIY and feeling fat. We'll see in a few weeks if my untried and untested marathon plan of never following a plan works.

Any races I'm doing at the moment all feel slow and the long runs feel slow. But the race times end up not being too bad, and the long run pace when I get back and look at them on Strava hasn't been too bad. At least it's been taking me by surprise to see what pace I'd actually been running at when I felt like I was just shuffling along. I'm feeling confident of aiming for the sub 2:50 this time. That would be a massive PB, but despite me potentially being capable of a faster time I think I'll try for a slightly safer option this time round and aim to bag a time. I've done the go off like a lunatic and see how long I can hang on.

Need to play it a bit safer this time round.

*Don't be too impressed, that's only just under 55 miles.

• Advertisement

2nd delivery of form didn't work either so they emailed it to me. The mail here in London is dreadful at times.

Advertisement