Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

12 days to go! How is everyone feeling?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Went from my biggest mileage week ever, to doing next to nothing last week as the rest of life got in the way of things and made use of the less pressure to run during the taper and got me doing other things instead. My legs were feeling very stiff for last nights run, but once they got going was OK.

Time to start getting frantic about the long range weather forecasts now.
    Cloudy and 14 degrees:
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/london/ec4a-2/april-weather/328328
    Rain and 6 degrees, but no wind:
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk714day;ct=18354~City%20of%20London;sess=
    Rain and sun, 17 degrees and wind:
    http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk/london

Someone else told me last night that the forecast they saw was for 20+ degrees and lots of sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's for today and tomorrow if that's the case! 23-24c and lovely sunshine. Long range forecast for marathon day looks fairly average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Long range forecasts are notoriously inaccurate. I'll wait until 4 days out before I believe any forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

robinph wrote: »

Time to start getting frantic about the long range weather forecasts now.
    Cloudy and 14 degrees:
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/london/ec4a-2/april-weather/328328
    Rain and 6 degrees, but no wind:
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk714day;ct=18354~City%20of%20London;sess=
    Rain and sun, 17 degrees and wind:
    http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk/london

I'll take the middle one please, rain, 6 degrees and no wind. If it doesn't pan out like that we will be blaming you Robin :)

I'm just delighted to be tapering now. The race is 2 weeks later this year compared to last, but due to my lack of fitness in early January I decided to train as last year and use the extra 2 weeks to regain fitness. This essentially lengthened out my programmer by 2 weeks. Was a good idea at the time but in hindsight it wasn't needed. Furthermore it has made this cycle feel a little longer than I would have hoped!

Anyway all good at the moment. Not going to even consider the weather until the Saturday morning before the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

davedanon wrote: »
    Long range forecasts are notoriously inaccurate. I'll wait until 4 days out before I believe any forecast.

All part of the taper madness!

London isn't usually hot but it is often relatively hot i.e. a fair bit hotter than what people have been used to so I'm wondering how the race being two weeks later will impact this - normally it would have taken place last weekend. It might be just enough time to adapt to the relatively higher temperatures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have been working my way through old Marathon Talk podcasts and one of the recent ones I heard was on about marathon running in the heat and how you cope. But the temperatures they were talking about effecting your performance were higher than anything we are likely to get in London. The main risk is always that people over hydrate so effectively drown themselves. There was then another that I listed to from their back catalogue, but a different year, and they were talking about the same topic, but said drink loads and go slow. Their advice has changed over the recent years.

I just got the impression that it's all a big unknown, but the heat in London isn't going to be a problem. I would possibly go from running the blue line for the shortest route and instead run in the shadows where possible to to keep out of the sun. But I'm not overly concerned about the heat.

Wear plenty of sun block, and one that allows you to sweat. Run under the showers. Do not waste the water by throwing a bottle over yourself as that takes it away from the runners behind you. Once you've had your swig of water hand it back into the crowd of runners beside you who couldn't reach the water station. Don't drink all of the bottle every mile. Wear a hat if you have no hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

RubyK wrote: »
    12 days to go! How is everyone feeling?

My first marathon and I'm sick with nerves to be honest. Every club member I'm meeting is asking me how I'm feeling and with every enquiry, I feel more nervous. Wish it was over. I've done the training, could have done more but happy with what I've done and no injuries. Going for my final rub out today. Not bothered about the heat as I run slow anyway and I'll be at the back, not in the middle of it.

I know some of ye are travelling from Charing Cross station, what time will you be leaving there to be at Blackheath in plenty of time? I'm travelling in from Bedford mainline train station, probably catching a 7.00am train to get across London - I'm a bit worried about nutrition - I'm a diabetic so I have my gels, sweets, nunn drinks, etc (its a suitcase I need not a bum bag) but if I have my usual porridge at 6.00am, I'll be starving by 11am. Might try and pick up some of those fruit and nut bags they have at the Expo. Any ideas will be appreciated.

As far as the race day goes, just enjoy it and don't stress over it being over crowded at the start and taking minutes to cross the start line.

Are you on the Red or Blue start? Charring Cross will only be any good to you for the Blue start (or the fast good for age). Otherwise I think you need to go from London Bridge this year for the Red start.

I'm not sure what time I'll leave for the start from Charring Cross yet, but I'll be aiming to be at Blackheath at least an hour before the start, probably aiming for before before 8:30 actually. Then I can have a leisurely stroll across the heath, get into the start area, chill out, use the loos before the queues get too long and drop the kit bag at the lorry without any stress.

I am also a diabetic, T1 and on a pump. Are you on multiple injections or a pump?
    When I did marathons on mdi I was on two slow acting (lantus) a day, so I reduced or completely missed the slow acting dose from the evening before and sometimes didn't take the next slow acting on the morning of the marathon. You will need to have insulin in your system though so do not drop them all completely, speak with the nurse if in doubt. You should still take your bolus as per normal, and if having breakfast at 6am that dose will be out of your system by the start. I wouldn't try eating anything you've not had before though. I have more recently practised with eating within three hours of the start, so taking the dose at 3hrs, and that has all worked OK.
    You will need to keep a close eye on what is going on after the marathon as well, your sensitivity to insulin will be very high for possibly the next 12-24 hours so whilst stocking up on carbs and bad foods afterwards, don't overdose on insulin.

It is a lot easier for me now on the pump as I just turn down the basal setting from an hour before the start, 40% reduction works for me but you have to learn what works for you. Then I just leave the basal reduced for the rest of the day and can mostly dose as normal afterwards.

Make sure you carry gels on you, and that you have practised eating them while running. If you have a red felt tip pen then use that to draw a red cross on the front of your number, this is to identify you as having a medical condition and that your details are on the back of the number if the St. Johns Ambulance people end up scraping you off the floor.
    I avoid taking the sports drinks on the way round, as whilst they have some additional carbs, which may be useful if you are going hypo, just during the normal course of running you won't know how much carbs you have actually take on board. That is why I just stick to gels and water as I then know what rate I'm consuming the carbs at. Of course if you are hypo just follow the usual procedure of eat everything, but be aware that the hypo feeling can be very similar to the feeling of being knackered towards the end of a marathon.

If you are meeting people afterwards arrange beforehand what letter you will meet them under at Horse Guards Parade as phones will not work. The same goes for everyone on that though and us Boardsies tend to congregate around the X sign before we make our way off to The Coal Hole so you will likely find others around there from these parts of the internet.

Thank you so much for that. I should have said I'm T2, but I've had problems collapsing after HM's before so yes I do use gels, and I have a pack I'm bringing with me, and I don't drink Lucozade (no diabetic could ever drink that stuff ever again, that's how they tested me for diabetes), water and nunn tablet I use. I actually wear two water belts as I couldn't get a belt with 4 bottles on it and I'll fill them all with the nunn concoction and drink the water as I go around. I had looked at the timetable from Charing Cross and I would get there about 8.30am but having seen your post, I'll be getting there about 8.00am which will get me into Blackheath earlier. I'm in the blue group. I won't have anyone with me on the day and I'll be travelling straight back to Bedford afterwards so hope you all have a good race and enjoy your drink afterwards. Thanks for all the info.

• Advertisement

I won't have anyone with me on the day and I'll be travelling straight back to Bedford afterwards so hope you all have a good race and enjoy your drink afterwards. Thanks for all the info.

sure you may as well join us for a few beverages afterwards. We will be in a watering hole approximately a mile from the finish and about half a mile from Charring cross. Would be rude not to call in ;)

Thank you so much for that. I should have said I'm T2, but I've had problems collapsing after HM's before so yes I do use gels, and I have a pack I'm bringing with me, and I don't drink Lucozade (no diabetic could ever drink that stuff ever again, that's how they tested me for diabetes), water and nunn tablet I use. I actually wear two water belts as I couldn't get a belt with 4 bottles on it and I'll fill them all with the nunn concoction and drink the water as I go around. I had looked at the timetable from Charing Cross and I would get there about 8.30am but having seen your post, I'll be getting there about 8.00am which will get me into Blackheath earlier. I'm in the blue group. I won't have anyone with me on the day and I'll be travelling straight back to Bedford afterwards so hope you all have a good race and enjoy your drink afterwards. Thanks for all the info.

If you are on BG lowering meds then do check with the nurse first. I have absolutely no idea if they may be effected by exercise.

You should be fine with eating closer in time to the start though and in my previous life would generally look to be done with eating a couple of hours before in order to prevent a stitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I assume you mean drink in the collective noun sense. For there will be many, many drinks...

sure you may as well join us for a few beverages afterwards. We will be in a watering hole approximately a mile from the finish and about half a mile from Charring cross. Would be rude not to call in ;)

Thanks for the invite. I think you'll either all be gone by the time I get there, or p*ssed! If I can I'll pop in and thank you all in person. It will be after 4pm though so don't be holding your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks for the invite. I think you'll either all be gone by the time I get there, or p*ssed! If I can I'll pop in and thank you all in person. It will be after 4pm though so don't be holding your breath.

We'll be there till closing time!!!

Don't worry we will be still there.

menoscemo wrote: »
    We'll be there till closing time!!!

You'll be lying in a corner somewhere.

You'll be lying in a corner somewhere.

That was you at 6pm last year!!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    That was you at 6pm last year!!!

True, but I wasn't downed by the beer. It was the marathon that did for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

As far as the race day goes, just enjoy it and don't stress over it being over crowded at the start and taking minutes to cross the start line.

Are you on the Red or Blue start? Charring Cross will only be any good to you for the Blue start (or the fast good for age). Otherwise I think you need to go from London Bridge this year for the Red start.

I'm not sure what time I'll leave for the start from Charring Cross yet, but I'll be aiming to be at Blackheath at least an hour before the start, probably aiming for before before 8:30 actually. Then I can have a leisurely stroll across the heath, get into the start area, chill out, use the loos before the queues get too long and drop the kit bag at the lorry without any stress.

I am also a diabetic, T1 and on a pump. Are you on multiple injections or a pump?
    When I did marathons on mdi I was on two slow acting (lantus) a day, so I reduced or completely missed the slow acting dose from the evening before and sometimes didn't take the next slow acting on the morning of the marathon. You will need to have insulin in your system though so do not drop them all completely, speak with the nurse if in doubt. You should still take your bolus as per normal, and if having breakfast at 6am that dose will be out of your system by the start. I wouldn't try eating anything you've not had before though. I have more recently practised with eating within three hours of the start, so taking the dose at 3hrs, and that has all worked OK.
    You will need to keep a close eye on what is going on after the marathon as well, your sensitivity to insulin will be very high for possibly the next 12-24 hours so whilst stocking up on carbs and bad foods afterwards, don't overdose on insulin.

It is a lot easier for me now on the pump as I just turn down the basal setting from an hour before the start, 40% reduction works for me but you have to learn what works for you. Then I just leave the basal reduced for the rest of the day and can mostly dose as normal afterwards.

Make sure you carry gels on you, and that you have practised eating them while running. If you have a red felt tip pen then use that to draw a red cross on the front of your number, this is to identify you as having a medical condition and that your details are on the back of the number if the St. Johns Ambulance people end up scraping you off the floor.
    I avoid taking the sports drinks on the way round, as whilst they have some additional carbs, which may be useful if you are going hypo, just during the normal course of running you won't know how much carbs you have actually take on board. That is why I just stick to gels and water as I then know what rate I'm consuming the carbs at. Of course if you are hypo just follow the usual procedure of eat everything, but be aware that the hypo feeling can be very similar to the feeling of being knackered towards the end of a marathon.

If you are meeting people afterwards arrange beforehand what letter you will meet them under at Horse Guards Parade as phones will not work. The same goes for everyone on that though and us Boardsies tend to congregate around the X sign before we make our way off to The Coal Hole so you will likely find others around there from these parts of the internet.

I hope someone reports you for medical advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

My first marathon and I'm sick with nerves to be honest. Every club member I'm meeting is asking me how I'm feeling and with every enquiry, I feel more nervous. Wish it was over. I've done the training, could have done more but happy with what I've done and no injuries.

You've picked a cracker, for a first marathon! Perfectly normal to feel nervous, most people do, even experienced runners. One of the hardest things is getting though the training plan and getting to the startline injury-free, so you are in a great position. Enjoy the experience, it's a fantastic day, London is full of atmosphere and support.

rom wrote: »

Just incase anyone was wondering, I know it looks like medical advice, but it is approximately equivalent level of advice as suggesting that a hayfever sufferer doesn't work in a florists. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

Although I won't be running Sunday week I'm still spending the weekend in London with the wife. Those of you that know me I'll be staying in the strand palace so I'm sure we might bump into each other somewhere along the line.

I fly into London city on the Sat morning. Is the DLR the best way to get from there to the expo? And what is the best way to get from the Expo to Strand palace?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Although I won't be running Sunday week I'm still spending the weekend in London with the wife. Those of you that know me I'll be staying in the strand palace so I'm sure we might bump into each other somewhere along the line.

I fly into London city on the Sat morning. Is the DLR the best way to get from there to the expo? And what is the best way to get from the Expo to Strand palace?

Thanks in advance.
    DLR has a station at the excel. I worked on building it back in 2000/01. Change in Bank.

Change in Bank.
    Seventh circle of hell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

This is not medical advice, its tactics and management. I personally take one swig of the energy drink when offered, just to be sure to be sure.

Apparently adrenaline can stimulate higher sugar levels, so don't be too upset to see a higher reading pre-marathon (don't over compensate for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

DLR has a station at the excel. I worked on building it back in 2000/01. Change in Bank.

If he's flying into London City airport is the change not Canning town for the Excel, almost certain it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

If he's flying into London City airport is the change not Canning town for the Excel, almost certain it is?

Yep it looks like Canning town. It's more getting to the hotel from the Excel that I'm looking for advice on.

Correct according to the map! http://www.tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

To be honest Pistol, you'd be better off getting a taxi. The Excel is right beside the Airport, but to get to it on DLR you have to take 2 lines and about 30+ minutes. A few of us got a taxi last year and it was only about 5 minutes and £8 I think.

See you in the starnd btw, make sure to come into the coal hole on sunday!!

Advertisement