Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

menoscemo wrote: »
    To be honest Pistol, you'd be better off getting a taxi. The Excel is right beside the Airport, but to get to it on DLR you have to take 2 lines and about 30+ minutes. A few of us got a taxi last year and it was only about 5 minutes and £8 I think.

See you in the starnd btw, make sure to come into the coal hole on sunday!!

Plan on being there alright.

What about from excel to hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Plan on being there alright.

What about from excel to hotel?

Yeah that's handy enough. There are a few options, you want to get to Charing Cross
    http://www.excel-london.co.uk/visiting-excel/travel-guide/travel-by-tube/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

25 degrees in London Yesterday!!!! Although more like starting at about 12 degrees at 10am ramping up to 16 degress by the finish.

Starting to get the obligatory nerves. Had a wee run this morning and my legs were like lead :-( Ran a good 10km in the Great Ireland Run on Saturday and then a snappy 16m on Monday morning. Should be ok with rest and stretching though.

Im blessed I must admit, my cousin lives 250m from the start!!! The logistics sound rough enough to the start.

Think I am going to give it a lash on the day and see how it goes. But I will probably change my mind a bit between now and then. Seems like a fast enough course, possibly the fasted I have ran to date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Quick question re Oyster Cards.

I left it too late to order the tourist one and have it sent to a "relative" coming over from the auld sod to watch me, and I don't live in London so can anyone tell me, can "they" just buy and use a normal oyster card once they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Of course they can, just go into any tube/overground/DLR station and get one. £5 deposit when you get one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I left it too late to order the tourist one and have it sent to a "relative" coming over from the auld sod to watch me, and I don't live in London so can anyone tell me, can "they" just buy and use a normal oyster card once they are there.

You can use your Irish ATM card if it has contactless on it. No need to invest in a separate Oyster card now.

Thanks for the reply, one less thing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

robinph wrote: »
    You can use your Irish ATM card if it has contactless on it. No need to invest in a separate Oyster card now.

I just ordered a new debit card. Takes 5-7 working days though. Touch and go whether I'll have it by Friday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I ordered one yesterday. Hoping it comes now lol.

Luckily they sent me out a new Mastercard a few weeks ago and it has contactless, so no need for an oystercard this year.

• Advertisement

At club tonight. The rest of them were doing hills, feck that. I ran back to the track and did 4 800s. In a funny way it's nice to do a bona fide tough (if shortened) session, rather than obsessing over taper-induced freshness on a recovery run. Genuinely the very last session containing any kind of tough running at all. It's all cotton-wool swaddling and mind games from now on in.

davedanon wrote: »
    At club tonight. The rest of them were doing hills, feck that. I ran back to the track and did 4 800s. In a funny way it's nice to do a bona fide tough (if shortened) session, rather than obsessing over taper-induced freshness on a recovery run. Genuinely the very last session containing any kind of tough running at all. It's all cotton-wool swaddling and mind games from now on in.

Gonna do a 3 mile tempo next tuesday if you are about?
    By Tempo I mean 3 @ mp!!

Gonna do a 3 mile tempo next tuesday if you are about?
    By Tempo I mean 3 @ mp!!

Funnily enough, someone asked if I was doing a tempo on Tuesday, and I said I was probably going to do a couple of miles at MP, so yeah. Our MPs are obviously different, though.

davedanon wrote: »
    Funnily enough, someone asked if I was doing a tempo on Tuesday, and I said I was probably going to do a couple of miles at MP, so yeah. Our MPs are obviously different, though.

I'll pop down so, those first 3 miles are handy enough.

Just checked weather forecast. 14 degrees, cloudy with a hint of rain. Perfect for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That would be great weather for the run. Would be even better with it being nice and warm and sunny right up until 10:10am so that we can relax in Blackheath, then the clouds roll in just as the gun goes off but without any wind and just a very light drizzle after an hour or so.

Then the sun can come out again at 12:48 ready for some nice pictures to be taken by the photographers as I run the last mile from The Embankment and in front of Big Ben towards the finish line.

That would be great weather for the run. Would be even better with it being nice and warm and sunny right up until 10:10am so that we can relax in Blackheath, then the clouds roll in just as the gun goes off but without any wind and just a very light drizzle after an hour or so.

Then the sun can come out again at 12:48 ready for some nice pictures to be taken by the photographers as I run the last mile from The Embankment and in front of Big Ben towards the finish line.

Carlsberg don't do marathon weather, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Don't know why they don't use "real feel" as temp is not much good without humidity. We all know in Ireland that hot and cold feels much hotter and colder due to the high humidity. I was running long runs in -15 last year in the US and it was fine. Cold yes but no way could do that here. Same goes for hot. 20 degrees in somewhere dry just doesn't feel as hot as your sweat can evaporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

According to forecasts there's no obvious hurricane / flooding / heatwave / ice age on the way for next Sunday.......

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/London/long.html
    This makes me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    According to forecasts there's no obvious hurricane / flooding / heatwave / ice age on the way for next Sunday.......

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/London/long.html
    This makes me happy.

Just had a look myself. Looks almost perfect :):D

• Advertisement

Just have to remind yourself on the way to the start line that it is not cold and you really, really do not need to wear the extra layers with hat and gloves.

Here is the link to the page where you can setup the automated posts to your Facebook profile as you cross the start, half way and finish points:
    http://adidasboost.london-marathon.co.uk/2015/?cm_mmc=AdiSocialMedia_FACEBOOK-_-UK-_-adidas%20Running%20-%20adidasRunningUK_Sprinklr-_-20150419_20150419093000_169632853_Running_%23boostlondon&cm_mmca1=UK

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Here is the link to the page where you can setup the automated posts to your Facebook profile as you cross the start, half way and finish points:
    http://adidasboost.london-marathon.co.uk/2015/?cm_mmc=AdiSocialMedia_FACEBOOK-_-UK-_-adidas%20Running%20-%20adidasRunningUK_Sprinklr-_-20150419_20150419093000_169632853_Running_%23boostlondon&cm_mmca1=UK

I'm thinking of adding to this site and getting the coal hole to sponsor it. Continuous post race updates.

2pm in the coal hole. Lovely pints
    3pm still in the coal hole, just had a burger and a lovely pint
    4pm in the coal hole. More lovely pints
    5pm meno asleep on the table in the coal hole
    6pm just stepped out of the coal hole for some fresh air
    6.02pm in the coal hole. Lovely pints
    7pm just found my second wind and lashing into the pints again
    7.30pm just nipped into McDonalds
    8pm back in the coal hole, meno awake again
    8.05pm meno buying shots for everyone
    8.10pm meno talking about lennox lewis
    8.12pm meno's bull$hit has driven most of coal hole punters home
    8.30pm singing the fields of Athenry in the coal hole
    9pm can't remember my name or where the fcuk am I
    10pm oh yeah, still in the coal hole
    11pm just walked over to hotel to see meno puke all over the foyer (again)
    11.05pm what happens in London stays in London

Just have to remind yourself on the way to the start line that it is not cold and you really, really do not need to wear the extra layers with hat and gloves.

If it's 6℃ then it will feel, and be, cold. A pair of old socks will do instead of gloves though, and you can just throw them away when you're done with them.

I know it's getting ahead of ourselves, but the ballot for 2016 opens on Star Wars day. :)

I know it's getting ahead of ourselves, but the ballot for 2016 opens on Star Wars day. :)

Never again! I better do well at this one because I haven't the nerve or energy to go through all that again - good luck to all of you though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Never again! I better do well at this one because I haven't the nerve or energy to go through all that again - good luck to all of you though

I'm pretty sure most of us felt exactly the same, the days before our first marathon too. Yet here we are, waiting to line up, again ;)

I'll be in London from Friday afternoon.

If there's any interest I can look around the local Italian eateries and book a table for the Saturday evening? It was fairly difficult for us to find something last year without a booking. It'd be somewhere close to the Strand Palace and we could meet there beforehand.

Anybody up for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I'll be in London from Friday afternoon.

If there's any interest I can look around the local Italian eateries and book a table for the Saturday evening? It was fairly difficult for us to find something last year without a booking. It'd be somewhere close to the Strand Palace and we could meet there beforehand.

Anybody up for that?

I booked a place for myself and OH in Jan and they could only have us eat at the bar as they had no tables available and that was for 6 in the evening. We are eating there on Friday night too as we are meeting people so people are booking places real early it looks like

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    I booked a place for myself and OH in Jan and they could only have us eat at the bar as they had no tables available and that was for 6 in the evening. We are eating there on Friday night too as we are meeting people so people are booking places real early it looks like

There are a few places that probably wouldn't be very visible on the internet I'd say. Hopefully I can nab a booking or a cancellation on Friday evening.

Advertisement