Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll be in London from Friday afternoon.

If there's any interest I can look around the local Italian eateries and book a table for the Saturday evening? It was fairly difficult for us to find something last year without a booking. It'd be somewhere close to the Strand Palace and we could meet there beforehand.

Anybody up for that?

Well, there's 7 of us straight away, isn't there? It might be a big table...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I think Open table is what my SIL uses for bookings so you might someone on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

davedanon wrote: »
    Well, there's 7 of us straight away, isn't there? It might be a big table...

So I take it you and your missus are in?

I'll wait for anyone else to confirm, they might already have their own plans?

Have something sorted. Might see yee for a pint afterwards.

rom wrote: »
    Have something sorted. Might see yee for a pint afterwards.

The reply was for Davedanon :pac:

Hopefully see you in the Coal Hole after the race?

• Advertisement

The reply was for Davedanon :pac:

Hopefully see you in the Coal Hole after the race?

good thing I passed on it so :pac::pac::pac:

I suppose they might. I just assumed we'd all (the Tallaght contingent, that is) stick together. I certainly won't be in an adventurous mood on Saturday night. An early pasta dinner, a stroll back to the hotel, park the OH in the bar and early to bed to bite the fingernails all night is all that's on my agenda.

Note to self: bring good book

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I suppose they might. I just assumed we'd all (the Tallaght contingent, that is) stick together.

I won't be around for dinner and even if I was I'd want to avoid you shower

I won't be around for dinner and even if I was I'd want to avoid you shower

Ok, so no turds at the table.

Ok, so no turds at the table.

no just you and meno, a couple of $hit heads :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I managed to get a table for 9 booked at one of the Italian eateries on The Strand just last month. There should still be availability, but don't leave it to Saturday evening and then try to find a table for more than 2 people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Heading for Dublin airport now. Taking the scenic route via the passport office. There's always some drama!!!!

We are staying in the Stand. Just wondering where would be a good place to watch the race for OH? The place that you see people twice would be mobbed I guess?

We are staying in the Stand. Just wondering where would be a good place to watch the race for OH? The place that you see people twice would be mobbed I guess?

Missus TRR was there last year, I think she has an idea of where to go. Mile 14 is handy for two viewing points, I think. We are all also in the Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Heading for Dublin airport now. Taking the scenic route via the passport office. There's always some drama!!!!

Good luck with that - hope there's no hiccups at this stage !

Missus TRR was there last year, I think she has an idea of where to go. Mile 14 is handy for two viewing points, I think. We are all also in the Strand.

yeah she heads for the 14 mile mark and then a simple 180 turn and she gets to see the runners at 20 miles.

yeah she heads for the 14 mile mark and then a simple 180 turn and she gets to see the runners at 20 miles.

What's that involve, TRR? Walking or a couple trips on the subway or what?

What's that involve, TRR? Walking or a couple trips on the subway or what?

I'm not 100% sure but I think 2 short trips on the tube. I'll mention it to her later, I guess supporters could meet up in the hotel and head out together.

Depending on the speed of the runner they are looking to watch will effect the best viewing options.

http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/vmlm2014/live/uploads/cms_page_media/117/0-the%20Finish%20-%20The%20complete%20set.pdf

Getting to Cutty Sark before the start is relatively easy, either accompany your runner to the start line then walk round the edge of Greenwich towards the Cutty Sark DLR station or just take the DLR straight to Cutty Sark. If walking you would need to get there before the leaders come through though or you will not be able to cross the road. If you are on the north of the A200 near to the DLR then after your runner has gone through at 6 miles (Bottom right of page 2 of spectator guide) you can then stroll under the river through the foot tunnel and you will be very near to the 16.5 mile point. The crowds will be relatively thin at this point so you should have loads of time to stroll up to the 15/ 18.5 mile point.

The crowds will be very big around there, but there will also be some bands playing music and pubs selling beer and TV crews looking for people to chat to. Note that the 15 mile point is actually underground, the 18.5 is overground (assuming they have not changed the route more than I think). The alternative to get to this point is just using the DLR from Cutty Sark/ Greewnwich. If your runner is around the 3:20+ pace though you may find it tricky to get through the crowds in the direction you want.

From the 18.5 mile point you can then get the DLR back towards the city. Note that the change at Tower Gateway->Tower Hill will require leaving the station and a short walk to the Underground. It's obvious though and just follow everyone else.

You can then head along to Tower, Embankment or Westminster to catch your runner again along the final stretch. From seeing the runner go past any of those points along The Embankment you will have loads of time to then make it to the meeting point in Horse Guards as it takes ages to get through the baggage area etc. Note that trying to follow the route from Big Ben/ Westminster towards Birdcage Walk will not be possible as the pedestrian access will be blocked on the pavement. From Big Ben you will need to walk up Paliament Street/ Whitehall (towards Downing Street) and then down King Charles Street or through Horse Guards itself. There will be blokes sat on horses and wearing silly hats to look at along there as well if you are interested in that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

And the weather has turned!

Warm and wet is the new forecast.......

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/London/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

14c isn't warm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

14c isn't warm :pac:
    Well it's not cold and it's not hot........I settled on warm! :)

It's forecasting 10℃ in the morning, rising to 14℃ in the afternoon, with cloud and some rain. Barely any wind at all. Let's say it's 11/13℃ for the race itself. Just about perfect, imo. Before the start it won't be particularly cold either.

Thanks, I'm not officially $hitting small bricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm going for the lazy option and just gonna head down to the embankment from The Strand, somewhere between 24/25 miles. Will watch the early stages on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks, I'm not officially $hitting small bricks

Just large ones?

Good luck to you and everyone else running in London. I hope that the weather gods are kind and that you run the race that your training deserves.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Just large ones?

I'm sure they are small, but perfectly-formed.

Clearlier wrote: »

Good luck to you and everyone else running in London. I hope that the weather gods are kind and that you run the race that your training deserves.

We are all hoping to run better than our training deserves :pac:

• Advertisement

Actually ignore what I said about mile 15/18 above. It seems that the area around there will be boarded up as it's a building site and there won't be any spectator access.
    Mile 15 & Mile 18
    This year there is a slight adjustment to the route between miles 18 and 19 due to building work at Canary Wharf. The very popular viewing spot at Heron Quay roundabout (close to the site of the former City Pride pub) at miles 15 and 18 will NOT be available this year. Access will be restricted and spectators should make alternative arrangements.

While the route through for runners is protected, the ongoing works will be fenced and inaccessible and it will not be possible to see runners at this location. All spectators should follow the directions of our event marshals who will advise and direct people to alternative viewing spots.
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/event-info/spectator-info/

I expect that is only the bit directly where the two parts of the course merge and beside where the pub used to be. There will be viewing around that area and there is entertainment/ music zones marked on the map, just that you won't be able to get to the point where you would see people running in both directions at the same time.

Advertisement