Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

FYI for all the beer watchers, turdy went off to bed early and I'm still up. Last year was a one off. #beerchamp

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

What a day around the streets of London. The weather was looking dodgy yesterday morning and it was pretty cold around the start area but once I got into the start pen it started to get a bit warmer. Conditions from there were about as ideal as I could have hoped for. Cool but not cold. No wind more importantly. Crowds along the way were brilliant. Water stations were a little dicey at times trying to avoid the bottles strewn all over the ground but thankfully no damage done. As always the last six miles was where the race really began. I was telling myself (very loudly) to keep going, no f-Ing way am I going to walk a step. People around me must have thought I was going mad with my sudden outbursts!! Nearly cramped up a few times in the last few miles when having to adjust stride suddenly when someone in front suddenly stopped, slowed or decided to run right across my path to get to the water station. Must admit I let a few expletives out when that happened. Managed to save my fastest mile till the end but what was the story with the narrowing down of the road in several locations before we hit Buckingham palace?? Slowed right down to a crawl each time going through the bottleneck and it was hard to pick the pace up again after and of course the cramps in the legs were hitting too. Coming down the home strait I could see myself on the big screen and Olaf was running near me so I changed direction a little so that I ran through a different finish chute - wonder if he'll be in my finish line photo :). Just managed to get in under my target time. Garmin measured it at 26:45 so I must have deviated a fair bit off the blue line along the way. Enjoyed some fast food and a few pints last night. Time to get up now and attempt going down the stairs - probably backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Delighted for Radcliffe. Great that she got the opportunity to run with me for half a mile. She told me it was the highlight of her career :)
    I was surprised she didn't mention it in her post race interview - bad form really.:rolleyes:
    Fantastic run Dave, well done.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Feeling better now so off to the pub to swap war stories.

Well done on hanging in there when the going got tough - and well done on your race performance.:D
    Abhainn wrote: »
    My 4th visit to the London marathon and this was a most satisfying one.
    I enjoyed reading back on the race account, thanks BB67 for the slick summaries!
    I had to use all my previous visits to fool my body into getting that 2:36. 30 secs off my best but 3 years older!
    I had no idea I was so close to Paula at the end untill with 300m to go I seen her on the big screens. I booted it even more then.
    Solid training, some dissapointing raced results but this is the one that counts.
    Well done London , it is a magic race.
    Ive met the guys earlier in the Coal Hole and off soon to relax with a few more good ales.
    Cheers all

Well done Joe, terrific performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I'm a dirty bastard.

Must bookmark this for the end of year awards - will find a category - 'quote of the year', 'confession of the year' - something will fit !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It was a close fought battle, that went right to wire, rumors that meno stayed up all night convincing singles in his area that no vote = no chat are unfounded at this stage.

So meno takes the VLM post race update title for 2015 :pac:

17081594577_c9c2c0df5b_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    It was a close fought battle, that went right to wire, rumors that meno stayed up all night convincing singles in his area that no vote = no chat are unfounded at this stage.

So meno takes the VLM post race update title for 2015 :pac:

17081594577_c9c2c0df5b_b.jpg

Interesting to note that TRR thanked Meno but Meno did not thank the Turd - that made all the difference in the long run ..................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

kit3 wrote: »
    Interesting to note that TRR thanked Meno but Meno did not thank the Turd - that made all the difference in the long run ..................

The durty fecker and we could have had another one of these moments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Having broken 3 hours in April 2014 I overtrained myself into the ground. I was doing sessions way too fast, took easy days too hard. By Sept I was completely wiped out. I did one of the Ballycotton 5 series races and jogged home in 34:24. I walked and contemplated giving up. The next race I had my mind set the record straight. It was a local 10M in Cork. In a constant state of fatigue for months I did the race. I dropped at 4M as I could not hold the pace. That was a big low point for me. I thought I could have pushed on from my improvements from earlier in the year but it was not to be. I didn't have any recovery plan post marathon. It was at this stage that I got help from someone on here once again. He had me strip my training right back. It felt like I was starting off from scratch at times. I always felt like a fish out of water running. A race was always a time I battered myself. A painfest from the word go. The new method of training was alien to me. All runs were very little effort. The sessions were all at a very comfortable pace. I continued in this vain and did waterford half in December. Having not run a half in a while I ran 1:26:59. Though not epic it was a confidence boost for me as I had really hit rock bottom in Sept. Trying to train hard after baby number 2 came along was a silly idea. Should have gone with the flow and looked at the bigger picture. Had a 2 weeks off very sick in Jan with a chest infection. It was a common pattern that has happened to me for the last few years. I have a good training block from about 6 weeks then get sick. Its like 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards. One year (2012) alone I was sick with a chest cough or infection 10 times.

So moving on to 2015 I ran a 24:10 4M. It felt comfortable but I didn't have the edge or taste for an all out effort. This was just before I got sick. Always a week to 10 days post race. So I got some advise from someone else on here on some vitamins that could help to boost my immunity. Costly but I was willing to give anything a go. The mental fatigue, cloudy head, lackluster enjoyment of running and life in general was bad. I was very irritable, felt constantly tired. Over the last few years this feeling has gradually come on. I knew it was not the norm. So basically I started to take a multivitamin that was a bit more expensive than your classic centrum with fish oils. Both very good brands. Within 2 weeks my sleep improved. I started to no longer have that cloudy feeling. Blood tests had shown recently that I had a poor immunity to sickness. I got the start sicks of getting sick and kicked it before it set it. This was a real turning point for me. It meant it was working. Though not for everyone it worked for me.

So anyways on to the race and the build up. I had interrupted build up to the race with two sicknesses. One was 2 weeks off basically. My lsd consisted of 2x16, 1x17 and 1x18. These would be done the day after a longish run with marathon paced miles. Generally I only did 2 sessions a week. wed and sat with a lsd on Sundays. Mon and Fri were recovery 4M with that at 9:20-9:40 again something that was alien to me. Doubles on Tues and Thurs. A good week would be 70 miles. Then in early April I had a wedding in Spain for a week. Again not idea but it didn't impact hugely on training. You have to live too.

Race week and race weekend I had many fears. Firstly I did cramp badly the last two races. I talked to someone about it and they suggested due to lack of long runs so I overdid the long runs for rotherdam but I cramped again. I though perhaps it was an electrolite issue or possibly hydration. What I have done before it drink probably too much prior to the race. So this time I enlisted the help of an app called Hydro Coach (could not recommend this enough). You basically put in how active you are, your weight and it prompts you to drink during the day so you get your hydration in the right way. I would have drank nuun before in the day leading up to a race but I thought I might try dioralyte this time. I know, I know, don't try something new. But I did and the day before I drank 600ml with 3 dioralyte over the day and two again race morning in an effort to stop cramps. Had pasta and tomotoes with no meat the night before in an over priced London restaurant. The Japanese swear by the power of tomotoes that they reduce the build up of lactic acid. I had eating tomatoe based dinners before but they were normally something from a jar or paste but this was tomotoes. In watching Unbreakable basically what Jeff Rose was eating.

Race morning had my normal breakfast, porridge made with water and black coffee. Got out to blackheath early and went into the GFA tent to keep warm. I found it quite cold and was happy there was a tent. Did a poor attempt of a 1/2 warm up and started for the back of pen 1. One of the best races I did to date I had a very slow first mile and I planned to do the same. There is 25 after it to make it up. After all if I was not going to have a good warmup then it would make sence. Again the fear of cramping that happened in the first 5k last year.

Race starts and first mile was a tad under 6:40. I wanted to go out with first 5 miles under 6:40. I kept holding myself back but clearly not enough. Due to habit I took a Gu gel at 10k an again at 20k though looking back on it I wouldnt take a gel again and my pace dropped when I did so. I took on not much water for the race. I knew I would be a bit dehydrated by the end but that was ok. If a world record can be done with no water then why do I need water when I was excellent with the hydration on the week leading up to it. To keep myself in check I know that I am not working hard if my HR is under 170. I know I shouldn't do that but its something I like to do and I did so again. HR dropped for a bit but I wanted to be comfortable to 20 miles and I was. The effort level after this got a bit harder as you would expect. At no stage did it feel much of a crazy effort. I don't think I was breathing hard till the last 800m. I had no idea of the time I on for as I was looking at the avg pace and the distance was out due to the tunnels and gps loss on route. tbh I though I was trying to save a sub 3 hour time at times in the second half. I felt like I was getting slower but I didn't slow that much.

Looking back at it I should have printed my name on my shirt, waited to 22 and dropped the hammer properly cause I felt like I could have but confidence with poor races in the build up and cramping the last two marathons I didn't have the confidence. It was there in my legs if I wanted it. Comparing HR data with 2012 sub 2:50 was there if I was a bit braver but I am still happy with my improvement. Sub 2:55 was the B goal so I am happy with that but I still feel I am scratching the surface.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/758527153

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Very intersting report, esp with regard to nutrition. Might do without the lsd next time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done all, sounds like everyone had a great experience on Sunday. I trained for sub 3.40 but was 100% sure I wouldn't get it, due to injury/stresses over the past 6 weeks. On the day it all went right, and I got 3.36 :D

Nice to bump into meno on Friday, well done on a great run! We popped into the Coal Hole on Sunday, to say hello, but it was completely jammers. Hope you all had a good evening.

If by any chance, anyone has a Small t-shirt and is looking to swap for a Medium, let me know. I picked up a M by mistake.

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    We popped into the Coal Hole on Sunday, to say hello, but it was completely jammers.

Same here. Was in no mood for standing. Herself took me on a 5 mile walk post race up and around Soho, the mall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

As a serial marathon fader I can't believe I'm reading theses stats about myself.
    In the final 7.2k
    "You passed 389 runners
    And 18 passed you"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

martyboy48 wrote: »
    And to round off our list, its not me123 just home in 5:58:51... Super well done to her, can't have been easy but great to tough it out....

Thanks for that, I appreciate the comment. To be honest I was fine till HM and then my body said no, I just fell apart - every bone and muscle hurts, even now 2 days later I'm in agony - I think my marathoning days are well and truly over, before they even started. I'm just about to watch the coverage on the BBC (I taped it) - Congrats to all of ye and thanks for all the info over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

So now we know why Eau Rouge slowed a little just after Halfway!!

I've been told he was pacing a club mate and didn't feel he was in shape himself for a pb..... so he took a little refreshment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisMonahan9/status/592403100994011136

Itziger wrote: »
    So now we know why Eau Rouge slowed a little just after Halfway!!

I've been told he was pacing a club mate and didn't feel he was in shape himself for a pb..... so he took a little refreshment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisMonahan9/status/592403100994011136

Would also explain his use of the balloon clapper for the last few miles. He did look like he was having a lot of fun when I was talking to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Training in the run-up had gone well but I only did one race (a 10k in 37.26) so wasn’t exactly sure how ready I was to crack sub- 3 hours. Made my way to Blackheath and got into the Good for Age section. Felt so intimidated there by all the decent club-runners - I really felt like a chancer that didn’t belong there. I was walking around in a pair of jeans (I don’t even own a tracksuit) with my Sports Direct shorts in my bag! Felt a bit flat beforehand (and cold) and barely bothered with a warm-up before getting into Pen 1 for the start.
    Miles 0 – 3
    Paula and the elite men and women are announced over the tannoy while we’re gathered bunched up waiting for the start. And we’re off!! A quick check of the Garmin after a minute or so and we’re going at a nice pace, without being held up too much by the amount of runners bunched together. The advantage of the Good for Age start is that mostly all of them are targeting sub-3 hours, so they mean business from the start. There’s so many runners that if you wanted to change pace much it’d be virtually impossible – spent the opening couple of miles watching to make sure I didn’t clip anyone’s heels or run into a traffic island. Saw one fella get taken down by a stray bottle of Lucozade. I knew there were a couple of downhill miles early on so tried to consciously hold myself back here.
    Splits: 6.50, 6.40, 6.40
    Miles 4 – 10
    Crowds seem to be lining the whole route, something I’ve not experienced before. Having ran Dublin and Manchester marathons I was expected quieter areas where you’d see no support for a while, but around London it’s so busy and they’re so vocal that at times you can’t hear yourself breathe. The red start merge with the green and suddenly the roads are thronged as the two different waves join together like a marauding multi-coloured army stomping through Woolwich. Under a bridge around mile 5 and a band banging drums making a brilliant noise, I’m loving this now.
    First landmark in my head is the Cutty Sark , knowing I’ll have 10k done, and as I turn a corner I see the vast masts and ropes and the crowds swell, the cheers get louder and we pass by the Beebs boom cameras. Been watching this for years on telly, and it feels great to be a part of it now.
    Splits: 6.39, 6.49, 6.54, 6.51, 6.45, 6.52, 6.53
    Miles 11 – 19
    The Garmin has already decided to play silly buggers. I know it’ll give me an indication of pace but its way outta whack already with the course mile markers. I’m going off my paceband now and feel I’ve paced it evenly to halfway in 1.29.45 – nothing silly that I’ll pay for later. The plan was to cruise to 13, nice and relaxed, then stay focussed for 13-20 like you would have to on a 7 mile tempo run.
    Crossing Tower Bridge is phenomenal, smiling all the way feeding off the amazing crowd support. Loving the signs and banter the crowd have with the lads in fancy dress. Didn’t realise there’d be so many 3-hour runners in costume. For about 5 miles I heard ‘ Go on Dave’. I was wondering how famous this Dave could be? Turned out it was a bloke in a Minion outfit. I passed all manner of lunatics - Sonic the Hedgehog, a lad dressed as a cowboy (including jeans), a bloke in a mankini, a purple fairy, a dude in shirt and tie.
    I’ve needed to take a leak since the start but put it off at every toilet stop till the next one. What would Paula do?!
    Splits: 6.52, 6.50, 6.53, 6.46, 6.50, 6.29, 6.44, 6.50, 6.33
    Miles 20 – 26.2
    10k to go and I’m feeling good. Start to get a bit cocky thinking that this is in the bag, then remind myself that anything can happen over the next 6 miles. But it doesn’t! I feel strong and confident, telling myself at mile 23 that if I maintain this pace I’ll never have to try this again! The last two miles are tough, but I’m getting a kick out of passing anyone that’s stopped telling myself that’s another place gained. The stats say I passed 291 over the last 7k, with 16 passing me. The Houses of Parliament seems yonks away running down the embankment, but a check of the watch tells me I’m not slowing down. 200m to go sign and onto the Mall for an emotional finish in 2.58.58.
    Splits: 6.43, 6.45, 6.50, 6.53, 6.40, 6.44, 6.41
    https://www.strava.com/activities/293447828
    What an experience that was.

Well doen Wobblemouth. I remember that Mankini man very well :o.
    He is one of the only reasons I managed to keep going thorugh the 2nd half, I passed him around 17 miles and really did not want to see him again!!

Anyone else see or was talking to http://www.marathonmanuk.com/ on Sunday. Not much fan fair about him when there should be. Couldn't see if he even made it on the BBC for an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Name|Bib No:|PB|Target|Finish Time
    Rom|30185|2:58:48|<2:52:00||
    Robinph|30281|2:56:??|<2:50:00||
    JohnnyBingo|3431|3:58:12 |3:44:59||
    Davedanon|27267|3:17:15|<3:15:00|3:14:18|
    Abhainn|29742|2:36:21|2:37:xx||
    Wobblemouth|31430|3.01.16|2:59:59|
    TRR|949|2.35.03|<2:35.00|
    neilc|26759|3.10.28|<3:20:00|
    overpronator|54999|3.15.52|2:59|
    PDCAT|xxxx|3.26.57|3.19.59||
    Menoscemo|30712|3:04:41|||

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Robinph|30281|2:56:??|<2:50:00||
    JohnnyBingo|3431|3:58:12 |3:44:59|3:44:14|

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

rom wrote: »
    Anyone else see or was talking to http://www.marathonmanuk.com/ on Sunday. Not much fan fair about him when there should be. Couldn't see if he even made it on the BBC for an interview.

I passed him about mile 16. The speed he was going there he must have gone off like a lunatic at the start but he seemed to be barely moving at that point.

I did see a brief bit about him on the Channel 5 news that evening as I'd made a short escape from the pub. He'd stopped for an interview along the Embankment where his other half was. Then they showed him hopping on a motorcycle taxi after the finish to head to Heathrow to get off to the next marathon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Robinph|30281|2:56:??|<2:50:00|249:44|

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Wobblemouth|31430|3.01.16|2:59:59|2:58:58|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

PDCAT|xxxx|3.26.57|3.19.59|3.17.50|

Really happy with that time.... 9 minute PB.
    Race went really well for me. Felt fairly good throughout. Last 4 miles - had to tough it out.
    Congrats to everyone on their great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

TRR|949|2.35.03|<2:35.00|2:34:28|

I only ever complete these tables when I hit my target :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

overpronator|54999|3.15.52|2:59|2.58.20

Menoscemo|30712|3:04:41||3:06:35|

Rom|30185|2:58:48|<2:52:00|2:54:21|
    Robinph|30281|2:56:??|<2:50:00|2:49:44|
    Menoscemo|30712|3:04:41||3:06:35|

That has to be a pretty good result all round from looking at the table. Either we were all sandbagging, or we actually all had a great day and hadn't over stretched ourselves with the predicted times. Only a couple of times up there that are slightly over the predicted time, and whilst that is going to be a disappointment, in the grand scheme of marathon running it is damn good running and pacing to have so few people blowing to pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Rom|30185|2:58:48|<2:52:00|2:54:21|
    Robinph|30281|2:56:??|<2:50:00|2:49:44|
    Abhainn|29742|2:36:21|2:37:xx|2:36:56|
    overpronator|54999|3.15.52|2:59|2.58.20|