Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I registered for 3 of my friends, and have yet to receive email confirmation for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Still waiting also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Just listening to last weeks Marathontalk there now on my run and they said next years GFA has to be ran since Jan 1st 2013 (confirmed on website). Is this right, it would mean last years Barcelona would get me in again!! Can anyone (robinph??) confirm, I entered the ballot but this would be great, definite chance to redeem myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

neilc wrote: »
    Just listening to last weeks Marathontalk there now on my run and they said next years GFA has to be ran since Jan 1st 2013 (confirmed on website). Is this right, it would mean last years Barcelona would get me in again!! Can anyone (robinph??) confirm, I entered the ballot but this would be great, definite chance to redeem myself. :)

Yep, it's definitely good for 2 calendar years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Gavlor wrote: »

Sweet, what a great surprise!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

neilc wrote: »
    I was listening to that as well and they briefly had me worried that the qualification times had changed again. All the same as last year though as far as I can see for all age groups, and as said the times will always last you for a couple of years.

IllI'll be using last years time for my entry rather than this years just because it sounds better even though both get me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »

18 months I think. January 2013-June 2014 is the qualifying period...hmmm wonder should i enter again. Would be a shame to waste it (can always defer nearer the time..)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    18 months I think. January 2013-June 2014 is the qualifying period...hmmm wonder should i enter again. Would be a shame to waste it (can always defer nearer the time..)

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

You have to break it nxt year.....I would even buy u a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I got an email from VLM this morning, guess lots of people didn't going by the start of it:
    Thank you for entering the overseas ballot for the 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon. We understand that some of you may not have received your confirmation email. Please see below the information you would have been sent. If you have already received this email, you don't need to do anything else.

We'll let you know in early October if you've secured a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Email finally arrived today, bit more than 3 days but at least it arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

Got mine also! Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed for good news in October. I understand its a long shot but I am still hopeful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Same here! Does anybody have any fairly accurate information on what the odds actually are? I've heard something like 50-1!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

No mail here unfortunately !

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ChristyM

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Same here! Does anybody have any fairly accurate information on what the odds actually are? I've heard something like 50-1!

As far as I know it is closer to 15-1. 150,000 applicants for 10,000 places.

ChristyM wrote: »

A bit more encouraging!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

ChristyM wrote: »

thats not too bad what is the ratio for UK based applications does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Now received my mail also

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

slingerz wrote: »
    thats not too bad what is the ratio for UK based applications does anyone know?

Those 150,000 are all UK based applications.

Honest.

robinph wrote: »
    Those 150,000 are all UK based applications.

Honest.

I thought the number of spaces for UK residents was 125,000 and that the 10,000 spaces were for the overseas entrants?

• Advertisement

I thought the number of spaces for UK residents was 125,000 and that the 10,000 spaces were for the overseas entrants?

There only 40,000 places in total.
    More than half of them go to Charities afaik. I doubt more than a couple of thousand get in on the oversea ballot tbh. Robin will probably know the exact figures.

There only 40,000 places in total.
    More than half of them go to Charities afaik. I doubt more than a couple of thousand get in on the oversea ballot tbh. Robin will probably know the exact figures.

a google search gave 5,500 as the number of overseas entries in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

a google search gave 5,500 as the number of overseas entries in 2011

That includes people who pay through the nose for travel packages.

I just spoke with the London marathon people on the phone. The girl I spoke to said there was a 3-1 chance for the overseas ballot!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

That includes people who pay through the nose for travel packages.

Speaking of, has anyone done this? Thinking of doing it? I'd love to get some feedback on whether or not people would rate the service/accommodation etc? It's a plan B that I would not rule out, I know its a ridiculous price but its something I will give thought to if unsuccessful in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I just spoke with the London marathon people on the phone. The girl I spoke to said there was a 3-1 chance for the overseas ballot!

3/1? I think you've been badly misinformed there.
    More like 50/1 in the overseas ballot, if not bigger.

This years results seem to have sorted out the nationalities a bit and made it more realistic numbers than previous years where they claimed there was only something like 10's of people running from Ireland or from France, and anyone staying in The Strand Palace will know for a fact that both of those numbers would be way off the mark.

This years results are showing 442 Irish and 647 French which sounds more like it, but a significant number of any European runner is likely to have entered via the UK ballot, either because they live in the UK or they have a friend who does.

It's very approximately along the lines of:
    Celebs/ elite/ championship = probably 2-3 thousand
    Fast GFA = about 1500?
    Then about 50% of what is left goes to charity
    What is then left is mostly ballot, but there are a number of places given to UKA clubs based on the number of members they have (these places still have to be paid at the same rate as the rest of us) this is probably only a couple of thousand places though and the places are not awarded to clubs until after the ballot entries are paid for.

robinph wrote: »
    This years results seem to have sorted out the nationalities a bit and made it more realistic numbers than previous years where they claimed there was only something like 10's of people running from Ireland or from France, and anyone staying in The Strand Palace will know for a fact that both of those numbers would be way off the mark.

Yes Indeed. I registered with the UK GFA as Irish.

I'd Imagine only a tiny proportion of the overseas people listed in the results got through in the international ballot.

There is quite a few under the various nationalities with UK clubs next to their names as well which would usually mark them out as being UK resident so not needing to bother with the international ballot.

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    3/1? I think you've been badly misinformed there.
    More like 50/1 in the overseas ballot, if not bigger.

Was thinking more along those lines myself. Ah well!

Advertisement