Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2015/01/greatest-marathon-field-ever-six-thoughts-2015-virgin-marathon-london-kipsang-vs-kimetto-vs-bekele-vs-kipchoge/

Would love to watch this but will be running it instead.

Runner PB
    Wilson Kipsang (Kenya) 2:03:23
    Dennis Kimetto (Kenya) 2:02:57
    Emmanuel Mutai (Kenya) 2:03:13
    Eliud Kipchoge (Kenya) 2:04:05
    Ayele Abshero (Ethiopia) 2:04:23
    Sammy Kitwara (Kenya) 2:04:28
    Tsegaye Mekonnen (Ethiopia) 2:04:32
    Stanley Biwott (Kenya) 2:04:55
    Kenenisa Bekele (Ethiopia) 2:05:04
    Tilahun Regassa (Ethiopia) 2:05:27
    Samuel Tsegay (Eritrea) 2:07:28
    Serhiy Lebid (Ukraine) 2:08:32
    Aleksey Reunkov (Russia) 2:09:54
    Ghebrezgiabhier Kibrom (Eritrea) 2:10:00
    Marcin Chabowski (Poland) 2:10:07
    Koen Raymaekers (Netherlands) 2:10:35
    Scott Overall (Great Britain & NI) 2:10:55
    Michael Shelley (Australia) 2:11:15
    Javier Guerra (Spain) 2:12:21
    Steve Way (Great Britain & NI) 2:15:16
    Christian Kreienbühl (Germany) 2:15:35
    Pedro Ribeiro (Portugal) Debut

• Registered Users Posts: 5 noseelg

Hubby now unable to take up his place in London Marathon in April due to injury. Have accommodation booked - family room B&B basis in Hotel Novotel Greenwich. Stayed there last year and fab spot - within easy walking distance to start of Marathon and next door to railway station. Hotel wont give refund but have agreed to allow transfer of name on reservation so if anyone interested pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Right lads. Everybody should know by now whether they are in or not! Before anyone finalises travel logistics, training plans, race strategies etc we need to address two very important points.

1) where are we going for post race pints? It's been 3 weeks since I had a beer and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't gagging for a pint.

2) does anyone have any accurate long range weather forecasts ;) might get onto quirky to see if he has inside info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Right lads. Everybody should know by now whether they are in or not! Before anyone finalises travel logistics, training plans, race strategies etc we need to address two very important points.

1) where are we going for post race pints? It's been 3 weeks since I had a beer and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't gagging for a pint.

2) does anyone have any accurate long range weather forecasts ;) might get onto quirky to see if he has inside info :)

Have a good quality pint or 2, it won't kill you. I'm sure you've heard of a certain Beermatt down the west who trives on the stuff and still knocking out PB's and just hit 40. I don't go off the stuff but keep it under control.
    A change from the Coal Hole wouldn't be a bad idea but in the same area would be good.

Regarding the weather you could always try that Postman in Donegal, he'd be sure to give you a 100% accurate prediction ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Abhainn wrote: »
    A change from the Coal Hole wouldn't be a bad idea but in the same area would be good.

There is The Wellington at the end of The Strand, so still within staggering distance of The Strand Palace.
    http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thewellingtonstrandlondon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Coal Hole is actually closed for renovations right now anyway! Should be well open in time for April though.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGLL/2015/4/26/DailyHistory.html

The hottest marathon day was in 2007 when temperatures peaked at 21.7°C.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/26-fascinating-london-marathon-2014-facts/11327.html

rom wrote: »
    The hottest marathon day was in 2007 when temperatures peaked at 21.7°C.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/26-fascinating-london-marathon-2014-facts/11327.html

It's 2 weeks later than normal so that could have an impact. Feck all we can do about it but just worth bearing in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Flights booked now. I'm heading back to Dublin on a 7pm flight after the marathon!

Might need to be taken to the gate via trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

All Booked up now too, just gotta shake the last of the niggles and up the training and the mileage

So I am staying in the strand. How long will it take me to travel to the start in the morning and I presume I can use the tube all the way?

Also I paid £ 530.00 for the stand for 3 nights. Is that a good price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So I am staying in the strand. How long will it take me to travel to the start in the morning and I presume I can use the tube all the way?

There's free train from charing Cross (about 200m from hotel) to your start pen. You should be able to leave the hotel about 8:30 and be in the start area just after 9. It's pretty simple from the strand palace!! Just don't get on the wrong train like we did last year!!

robinph wrote: »
    There is The Wellington at the end of The Strand, so still within staggering distance of The Strand Palace.
    http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thewellingtonstrandlondon/

If it was a little further from the hotel than the coal hole that would be great. Give meno a chance to puke on the street before he hits the hotel foyer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 noseelg

noseelg wrote: »
    Hubby now unable to take up his place in London Marathon in April due to injury. Have accommodation booked - family room B&B basis in Hotel Novotel Greenwich. Stayed there last year and fab spot - within easy walking distance to start of Marathon and next door to railway station. Hotel wont give refund but have agreed to allow transfer of name on reservation so if anyone interested pm me.

£530 not a bad price ROM. We originally paid €642 for family room above in novotel. Selling for first offer over €500

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jakek

Hey guys - You may remember me from Stazza's log...

I've secured an entry and I'm coming over to run London this Spring!

I'm not 100% sure on the travel logistics yet - best case scenario, I'll be over in Europe a week before the race at an academic conference in Vienna... then I'll fly to London most likely on Friday evening (or Saturday morning) before the race. I'm trying to figure out what the easiest thing is for accommodations and getting to the expo... it seems like if I have a hotel near the blue tube, then I'll be able to get everywhere I need to go?

I'll probably have some more questions... this is just the beginning :-)

jakek wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure on the travel logistics yet - best case scenario, I'll be over in Europe a week before the race at an academic conference in Vienna... then I'll fly to London most likely on Friday evening (or Saturday morning) before the race. I'm trying to figure out what the easiest thing is for accommodations and getting to the expo... it seems like if I have a hotel near the blue tube, then I'll be able to get everywhere I need to go?

Very interested on how you got a place so late? Any tips as I have a friend looking.

Very interested on how you got a place so late? Any tips as I have a friend looking.

I'd say it's easier for a sub 2:20 runner Rom ;)

Jake, Fly to London City if Possible. The expo is right beside that Airport and other London Airports are a long trek to the city and to the expo (heathrow is second best).
    A lot of people like to book a hotel in Westminster as you can get back by foot after the finish and you can also get a direct train to the start from Charing Cross. However, in general, yes london is well connected by the Tube and it's various train stations so most places are fine for getting to the start line.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd say it's easier for a sub 2:20 runner Rom ;)

Jake, Fly to London City if Possible. The expo is right beside that Airport and other London Airports are a long trek to the city and to the expo (heathrow is second best).
    A lot of people like to book a hotel in Westminster as you can get back by foot after the finish and you can also get a direct train to the start from Charing Cross. However, in general, yes london is well connected by the Tube and it's various train stations so most places are fine for getting to the start line.

But I don't think thats how he got an entry when many faster Irish runners can't get in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

But I don't think thats how he got an entry when many faster Irish runners can't get in that way.

Like who?

jakek wrote: »

Good advice from meno above. If you're flying Saturday morning try and fly into London city. The expo is very close and you could pick up your number on your way to your hotel. Alternatively if you know anyone in London you could also get them to collect your number for you. All you need is a letter of consent and a photocopy of your passport or ID.

Pop up any questions you're unsure about. Our resident limey (robinph ;)) is handy for on the ground info and logistics.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Like who?

If he got an elite entry then he would be staying in the tower hotel so the question would be pointless re where to stay so clear he did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

If he got an elite entry then he would be staying in the tower hotel so the question would be pointless re where to stay so clear he did not.

I believe Jake is a member of a UK club.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I believe Jake is a member of a UK club.

Just like TRR so :p

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just like TRR so :p

In that case I'm furnishing no further logistical advice as he is direct competition ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Others have said most of the useful details already, but you are presumably going to be starting from the front of the Blue start. That will mean that you'll either want to be staying near Blackheath (you really don't want to be staying there), or you'll be needing to get the train to the start via Blackheath station. That trainline starts from Charring Cross, so the reason that the likes of The Strand Palace and other hotels around there have become popular is that you get on at the start of the train line, or you can get the underground to Charring Cross and then onto the overground with everyone else.
    I would seriously advise against trying to get on the train on the morning of the race at any subsequent station along the line after Charring Cross, the trains will just drive past you full to capacity and you'll be stood on a lonely platform getting concerned about if you'll get on the next train or not.

Not sure on getting to the start from a hotel in the Docklands if you fly to City Airport and stay near the Expo, but the Dockland Light Railway (DLR) does go to Greenwich, although you'll need to pay attention to what train and what line you are on when using the DLR as they don't always go in the direction you are expecting in my experience. The walk from Greenwich to the Blue start is going to be about the same as from Balckheath, just need to watch that you don't get herded into the Red start with all the other crowds going that way.

The trains, DLR and underground on the day are free once you are wearing your race number until about 5pm.

Getting to the Expo is simple enough on DLR, underground and you just follow the rest of the crowd. If you fly to City Airport and then do the Expo before getting the DLR back to a hotel in the centre you should watch out to make sure you pay for the journey with the Oyster card. It is very easy to just walk onto the DLR at ExCeL without noticing the Oyster card point that you need to tag in at, but you won't then be able to get out the other end of your journey without a ticket/ Oyster. It is now possible to pay for these journeys and tag in and out with a regular bank ATM card that has the contactless built in, rather than needing an actual Oyster card that might be a hassle to setup. This should work with Irish ATM contactless cards as well, but brianderunner may know better on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It is now possible to pay for these journeys and tag in and out with a regular bank ATM card that has the contactless built in, rather than needing an actual Oyster card that might be a hassle to setup. This should work with Irish ATM contactless cards as well, but brianderunner may know better on that?

I've used my AIB Visa debit card to pay for a bus fare in a pinch here and been charged normally (€1.88 taken for a £1.45 fare). It *should* be ok.

From TFL - see "Cards issued outside the UK".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I'm going to be in the UK from Thurs to the Tues - probably only visiting London on Friday for Expo and Sunday for marathon. Is it worth getting an Oyster card (visitor card) (me and 13 yr old) and can we get discounts to Madame Toussauds etc. Sorry for non running related question. I'm staying out of London and will probably be coming in and out by train from Bedford.

• Advertisement

Others have said most of the useful details already, but you are presumably going to be starting from the front of the Blue start. That will mean that you'll either want to be staying near Blackheath (you really don't want to be staying there), or you'll be needing to get the train to the start via Blackheath station. That trainline starts from Charring Cross, so the reason that the likes of The Strand Palace and other hotels around there have become popular is that you get on at the start of the train line, or you can get the underground to Charring Cross and then onto the overground with everyone else.
    I would seriously advise against trying to get on the train on the morning of the race at any subsequent station along the line after Charring Cross, the trains will just drive past you full to capacity and you'll be stood on a lonely platform getting concerned about if you'll get on the next train or not.

Not sure on getting to the start from a hotel in the Docklands if you fly to City Airport and stay near the Expo, but the Dockland Light Railway (DLR) does go to Greenwich, although you'll need to pay attention to what train and what line you are on when using the DLR as they don't always go in the direction you are expecting in my experience. The walk from Greenwich to the Blue start is going to be about the same as from Balckheath, just need to watch that you don't get herded into the Red start with all the other crowds going that way.

The trains, DLR and underground on the day are free once you are wearing your race number until about 5pm.

Getting to the Expo is simple enough on DLR, underground and you just follow the rest of the crowd. If you fly to City Airport and then do the Expo before getting the DLR back to a hotel in the centre you should watch out to make sure you pay for the journey with the Oyster card. It is very easy to just walk onto the DLR at ExCeL without noticing the Oyster card point that you need to tag in at, but you won't then be able to get out the other end of your journey without a ticket/ Oyster. It is now possible to pay for these journeys and tag in and out with a regular bank ATM card that has the contactless built in, rather than needing an actual Oyster card that might be a hassle to setup. This should work with Irish ATM contactless cards as well, but brianderunner may know better on that?

Thanks so much. great info there. Can you recommend anywhere near the strand palace for pasta the day before?

Advertisement