Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Delays length?

Options
  • 15-04-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi, Last week I sold a game to someone on adverts for 30 Euros. I posted the game last Wednesday at 4:25pm standard post. The game was going to someone in cork. Buyer say they still haven't received it. What should I do in this situation?
    How long can I expect the other person to wait?

Could an post still deliver the item within the next few days?
    I've had it happen to myself that items could arrive up to a week late but I've never been the seller in this situation. I have the receipt to prove that I posted it. Its annoying because the item yet to be delivered was posted last Wednesday and an item I posted Thursday arrived on Friday. What would you say are the chances of this still being delivered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

depends on following

1. Last post collection (many rural offices are 2.30pm and some town offices are 4pm)
    2. Clarity and correctness of address. If written clearly, auto scanners read the address, if not written clearly it is handled manually (causes a delay)
    3. Correct postage. If incorrect postage, it could be returned to you.

Finally, the buyer may be telling fibs. Good way to catch him out is tell him An Post are getting a report from local delivery person to see if he/she remembers delivering the package. (amazing how an item will suddenly appear!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Should only take 1-3 business days for delivery. Did you put a return address on the packet? And would there be any chance the postage fee was slightly underpaid because sometimes that can cause postal delays also.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭steve3194

Should only take 1-3 business days for delivery. Did you put a return address on the packet? And would there be any chance the postage fee was slightly underpaid because sometimes that can cause postal delays also.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I put a return address on the back of the packet. I didn't have a stamp to post it so I handed it to the woman at the counter of the post office she weighed it and charged me so I assume it was correct.

Postage fee's should be okay then. Has the buyer on adverts got 0 feedback and currently living in five locations in Cork.

Postage fee's should be okay then. Has the buyer on adverts got 0 feedback and currently living in five locations in Cork.

He has zero feedback. Which is one of the reasons I'm sceptical. I'm not sure though about the five locations. He sent the payment very fast with postal order so I hadn't any suspicions. What do you think?

• Advertisement

Just checked there. From what I can see he has a number of items for sale in around 3 different parts of cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

He should have definitely gotten it on thursday, friday at the VERY latest. Has he checked with his local depot? Maybe he wasn't home to receive the delivery and the collection note got lost? (happens ALL the time). Failing that, you could try ringing his local depot yourself and get the manager to speak to the postman, chances are if he did have the parcel, he would remember it

I'd be skeptical of the locations changes in 3 months (Cork City Centre, Grange, Frankfield, Douglas & Macroom) and zero trust profile. But it's only speculation. Contact Adverts Support and asked them to have a closer look at that account, it might be linked to something.

I'd be skeptical of the locations changes in 3 months (Cork City Centre, Grange, Frankfield, Douglas & Macroom) and zero trust profile. But it's only speculation. Contact Adverts Support and asked them to have a closer look at that account, it might be linked to something.

Alright, Will do thanks a million for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

if its worth more than a score i always send it registered, too easy to say it never arrived, i sell stuff on adverts all the time and its always delivered next day, post is very good in my opinion.
    also beware of postal orders i had one cancelled on me, i was leaving it till xmas to cash it in
    i wont make that mistake again

• Advertisement

if its worth more than a score i always send it registered, too easy to say it never arrived, i sell stuff on adverts all the time and its always delivered next day, post is very good in my opinion.
    also beware of postal orders i had one cancelled on me, i was leaving it till xmas to cash it in
    i wont make that mistake again

Is there a big difference In price between standard and registered? I was onto an post about this and they told me that of course, theres nothing they can do unless its registered. Buyer is getting impatient. Its been a week today which isn't incredibly long so hopefully it may still arrive.

last game i sold was gta v sold for 45 and it cost me 5.50 to register
    try and bluff him into thinking an post are investigating it like the other poster said
    if it was paypal you would have to refund the money but you got paid postal order, if it was me i would not give him the money back and just take the negative feedback, things dont just vanish
    zero feedback various addresses, he is scamming you i think

last game i sold was gta v sold for 45 and it cost me 5.50 to register
    try and bluff him into thinking an post are investigating it like the other poster said
    if it was paypal you would have to refund the money but you got paid postal order, if it was me i would not give him the money back and just take the negative feedback, things dont just vanish
    zero feedback various addresses, he is scamming you i think

Ya maybe you are right, unfortunately I already told him what the woman from an post had said. I contacted adverts yesterday and asked if they would check out his account. They said it seemed fine. I don't know at this stage. He sent me a message earlier saying it was a joke the game hadn't arrived yet and that he sent me money and that "I want you to get my game to ME" I thought after just one week this was a bit much.

I have been stung before so I'm extra careful, first thing I do is check the feedback now.
    Easy to set up another adverts account

I have been stung before so I'm extra careful, first thing I do is check the feedback now.
    Easy to set up another adverts account

Ya, just gave the benefit of the doubt as he had no negative. He may be genuine. Hopefully

He still hasn't received the game. I'll probably have to refund if it doesn't come the beginning of next week. I don't want to send a postal order as that could just get "lost" as well. He says he doesn't have PayPal. What would you suggest I do?

You have two options
    Send postal order with his name on it, can only be cashed by him, you can always register it.
    Or close your adverts account and run for the hills.
    I would do the latter, I hate people scamming

You have two options
    Send postal order with his name on it, can only be cashed by him, you can always register it.
    Or close your adverts account and run for the hills.
    I would do the latter, I hate people scamming

If I was to send the postal order with his name on it and he said he didn't receive it what could I do then?

Refunding him is one thing but paying for registered post is another. If he paid postage then maybe.

steve3194 wrote: »
    If I was to send the postal order with his name on it and he said he didn't receive it what could I do then?

Refunding him is one thing but paying for registered post is another. If he paid postage then maybe.
    Postal order is traceable
    The buyer (you) can find out when and where it was cashed from the post office and also you can cancel the postal order if it's been "lost"

Postal order is traceable
    The buyer (you) can find out when and where it was cashed from the post office and also you can cancel the postal order if it's been "lost"

Alright thanks man. Do you know whether or not a specific period of time has to pass before the p/o can be cancelled. Thanks.

• Advertisement

steve3194 wrote: »
    Alright thanks man. Do you know whether or not a specific period of time has to pass before the p/o can be cancelled. Thanks.

Not sure check with an post
    Shame you have to refund him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Send a cheque crossed as Account Payee Only. Then if never received it cannot be cashed and you can cancel it if need be.

Not sure check with an post
    Shame you have to refund him

I know believe me I know. Theres a lot to be said for just trading games at gamestop. I'm still not fully set on it. I'll see next week.

Send a cheque crossed as Account Payee Only. Then if never received it cannot be cashed and you can cancel it if need be.

He didn't send a cheque so I doubt he will want one back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He didn't send a cheque so I doubt he will want one back

Irrelevant, it is not his call.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Sandrutute

I had an post delay by 2 weeks. But I sended to north ireland , not reg.
    But I sended a parcel to navan at 12 p.m and the next day she got it. so he might be telling bull****. If it's reg you have a tracking number. cheak it online

Advertisement