Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad cracked - long term fear?

• 15-04-2014 5:53pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my iPad took the remotest of slips today (seriously, has taken bigger falls and bumps without a scratch) but now there's a crack from about 1 o clock to 2 o clock on the screen, arching just into the display. I'd say it covers about 2cms worth of a corner of the display, isn't visible when the screen is on, and mostly can only be seen on the white boarder. The crack seems to be interior; running a finger over the crack, you can't feel it at all.

Being honest, I really can't afford €100 quid of a repair job, but at the same time, I want to make sure it doesn't result in worse long term damage. If it's a crack, it's annoying, but I'll get used to it.

But I wanted to check...how dangerous could a crack like that be to the device itself? I'd pay the €100 now if it meant not paying €200 down the road. If it's just a vanity thing, I can live with it, but could the LCD screen get damaged from a crack like that?

(I know it might be hard to answer without seeing it. Just wondering if people had similar experiences of cracks causing or not causing long term damage...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Which version of the iPad? If it's iPad 2 I wouldn't bother but if it's the new iPad Air and you don't intend to get a cover then the smallest of bumps could enlarge the crack and it might be worth it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its an iPad Air.

I actually had a cover on it. Not a great one. Already had a better one ordered and on the way which offers more protection in terms of having a cushioned flap on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Could try call Apple and buy an AppleCare + plan. (Technically they are meant to be bought within 30 days of purchase but you could try it)

Drawback is it will cost ya €99 initially. But for that your getting 2 years warranty.

When/if the Crack gets worse or ya just get fed up of it you have two instances of accidental damage within the two years for €49 each.

I know this will wind up costing ya €148 for a repair overall but I'd rather deal with Apple and have a two year warranty on the repair than some unauthorised place in Dublin who will most certainly void your warranty for good.

Just my two cents.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/APP_IPAD_PLUS_AUTO-112700/applecare-for-ipad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Could try call Apple and buy an AppleCare + plan. (Technically they are meant to be bought within 30 days of purchase but you could try it)

Drawback is it will cost ya €99 initially. But for that your getting 2 years warranty.

When/if the Crack gets worse or ya just get fed up of it you have two instances of accidental damage within the two years for €49 each.

I know this will wind up costing ya €148 for a repair overall but I'd rather deal with Apple and have a two year warranty on the repair than some unauthorised place in Dublin who will most certainly void your warranty for good.

Just my two cents.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/APP_IPAD_PLUS_AUTO-112700/applecare-for-ipad

and that's defrauding it. If you're outside of 30 days there's no way you'll get AC+ anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

kensutz wrote: »
    and that's defrauding it. If you're outside of 30 days there's no way you'll get AC+ anyway

Your not really your just paying for it in a different way and theming to hold onto your warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP i would recommend calling Apple. Tell them that you have a hairline crack on your ipad. I have heard of instances where a hairline crack has been covered.

You might have to push the advisor on the phone to see if they will cover it as they may jump to out of warranty fees straight away. You could always say that you heard one of your friends got it sorted and ask them to check with a manager if it was possible?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I did get in touch with Apple. Said Warranty was no good. Said they could take a look at it if I sent it to them, but would need to pay (iirc) 300 quid, they'd repair it, and then refund the difference between what I spend and what it actually cost. Alternatively, bring it to one of their designated stores (which is 40 minutes away).

Advertisement