Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda gcv530 engine giving trouble.

Options
  • 15-04-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

HI have a Honda Hf2216 mower with a GCV530 motor and iI start it up and begin to mow she works great. has started to give me some bother. When i engage the deck and begin mowing she works great for about 5 minutes then suddenly the engine note changes. She runs much rougher and there is a distinct loss of power. Sometimes it rights itself after a while and sometimes not. So far Ive replaced the air and fuel filter. Replaced fuel lines. Cleaned carb a few times. Set valve clearances. Replaced diode matrix. Replaced both ignition coils. Im starting to run out of ideas.
    What i do notice is that this problem seems to happen when travelling uphill under load. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭kinklee7

which end of the fuel tank is the feed when going uphill ? Also It sounds like the choke is coming on when warmed up ? Take off the air filter and use a quick start spray into the air intake on starting. Let her run on a flat concrete base for 5 mins and see what happens and report back. I think that would do the trick !
    Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Poula

Hi Ken.

The fuel outlet is on the bottom of the fuel tank and goes tru a filter and fuel pump before going into the carb. The throttle control has 3 positions. Choke, slow and fast. When i start her up i start with the choke on but if I leave it in that position for more than a few mins the engine cuts out. lll check to see if the choke is slipping back on. Are you saying that i should start her cold with no choke with some easy start?

Cheers.

Poula wrote: »
    Hi Ken.

The fuel outlet is on the bottom of the fuel tank and goes tru a filter and fuel pump before going into the carb. The throttle control has 3 positions. Choke, slow and fast. When i start her up i start with the choke on but if I leave it in that position for more than a few mins the engine cuts out. lll check to see if the choke is slipping back on. Are you saying that i should start her cold with no choke with some easy start?

Cheers.

Exactly ! Will clear her cough ! And check the float in the carb is not punctured because It should rise like the cistern (ballcock) in your toilet , Let me know

Right Ill give it a shot tomorrow. The neighbours would shoot me if i done it now. :-)

thanks Ken.

Poula wrote: »
    Right Ill give it a shot tomorrow. The neighbours would shoot me if i done it now. :-)

thanks Ken.
    At the end of the day it's only a mower, We will sort it here !:D
    Keep me posted, I repair small engines daily.
    Ken

• Advertisement

Ok so I've only gotten round to checking the mower today. I took her out and started her up. No choke. Easy start in the carb. I left her running for about half an hour with the deck blades engaged and she never missed a beat. So I began to mow the lawn and after about 5 minutes she started running rough again. No major load as the grass is quite short. I hopped off and checked the choke and its definitely not on. I was able to push the choke on the carb and the engine got very smokey and died. My whole lawn is on a slope so I can't say for sure if its happening when I'm on a hill i.e. when the carb isn't level but it never seems to happen when the mower is on level ground. Could it be a fuel pump problem maybe?

Shay.

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

easy start is for engines that are hard started to help the fuel explode,it wont do anything for a engine that starts and has a later problem like this.

new spark plugs op?

Hi.Its a bit of a pain.

Ive tried new plugs' new airfilter and fuelfilter. Its still useable but a bit of a pain. thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Sounds more like a belt issue. There are 2 blade belts, first is from engine pulley to blade pulley & second is from blade pulley to the 2nd blade pulley.
    If first is worn/stretched it can affect the power & the 2nd one needs to be sequenced.

If the deck is also set up off balance it can also affect the operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 eunos1992

Hi Poula I am having the exact same problem with my honda, did you get yours sorted?

Hopefully you can help.

Many Thanks

Hi.

yes I did eventually. I stripped and cleaned out the carb. everything was grand after that. there is a youtube video giving step by step instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moTi6k5uqeM

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eunos1992

Hi Poula many thanks for your reply, I will give that a go.

Thanks again.

Advertisement