Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got parrots?

• 15-04-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone in Dublin is into parrots.
    There was an irish parrot forum but it seems to be shut down now.
    Reason I'm asking is, I have a Senegal parrot and am looking for someone with experience to look after him during xmas when I'm not home.

-Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone in Dublin is into parrots.
    There was an irish parrot forum but it seems to be shut down now.
    Reason I'm asking is, I have a Senegal parrot and am looking for someone with experience to look after him during xmas when I'm not home.

-Chris

I don't live in Dublin so couldn't help but I imagine anyone who you would want looking after your Senegal would want more information such as; is it hand tame or hand reared or what? Male or female? Psittacosis etc negative? How big is it's cage? How bonded to you is it?

Have you asked your avian vet about boarding ("kennels")?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 schinkowski

Thanks for your reply.
    I was told it's a male, but don't have a cert for that. I'm planning to do a DNA gender and psittacosis blood test next time I visit the vet. He has no symptoms of psittacosis though, so I think that's ok.
    The vet recommended against boarding him for more than a week and leave him with a family member that he knows instead, but I don't have any family here that he could stay with and was hoping I could find someone familiar with parrots that he could get to know to stay with while I'm away.
    He was hand reared and is very tame. He's bonded to me and my wife, haven't tried how aggressive he'd be towards others but that would be something we'd need to find out if I find someone who'd be willing to help.
    His cage is 16'' x 16'' x 32'' but he's really only it in to sleep or when I'm not home. The rest of the day he spends on my shoulder or on top of the cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Thanks for your reply.
    I was told it's a male, but don't have a cert for that. I'm planning to do a DNA gender and psittacosis blood test next time I visit the vet. He has no symptoms of psittacosis though, so I think that's ok.
    The vet recommended against boarding him for more than a week and leave him with a family member that he knows instead, but I don't have any family here that he could stay with and was hoping I could find someone familiar with parrots that he could get to know to stay with while I'm away.
    He was hand reared and is very tame. He's bonded to me and my wife, haven't tried how aggressive he'd be towards others but that would be something we'd need to find out if I find someone who'd be willing to help.
    His cage is 16'' x 16'' x 32'' but he's really only it in to sleep or when I'm not home. The rest of the day he spends on my shoulder or on top of the cage.

I think the key part of your vets recommendation is that the minder be someone that the bird knows (and is comfortable with). Also someone who is comfortable with the bird (not many people know how to deal with birds). Which is what you're looking to do. Have any of your (or your wifes) friends or colleagues expressed an interest in the bird?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 schinkowski

Yeah I thought about that but nobody can confirm they'll deffo be in Dublin at the time and I don't want to put more stress on the bird by travelling too much. Also, none of them have much experience with parrots :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi Chris,
    Used to have a Sene myself, only tiels now though.
    I'm a bit far away to travel to get to know him as im in the midlands but best of luck finding someone.
    They're fantasic birds, I miss mine:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement