Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Classes

Options
  • 15-04-2014 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any beginners cooking classes in Dublin that are relatively inexpensive?

I am a student and have no idea how to cook chicken, beef, pork etc

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Look up easy recipes online and just follow the instructions. Try Delia or BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I think I would prefer to gain some confidence in a class with foods like chicken and pork, I am afraid I will undercook it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Your student's union might possibly organise something like that? Especially if enough people asked for it. Cookery classes can be expensive but some VECs/Community colleges have beginners and healthy eating evening classes, could be a good place to start.

http://www.eveningclasses.ie/products.asp?cat=111

Would 100% second homemadeciders suggestion of watching tutorials and giving it a go yourself, youtube is great. The BBC Good Food site has a section of student recipes too

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/student
    GeneralC wrote: »
    I think I would prefer to gain some confidence in a class with foods like chicken and pork, I am afraid I will undercook it

Meat thermometers are relatively cheap (sub a tenner) and will get rid of that worry for you permanently.

I want to have the confidence in eating something that I know won't make me sick. I am tired of eating pasta ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

With chicken anyway, start off cooking plain fillets under the grill or baked in the oven. Cut into them when you think it's done, if it's still pink in the middle, cook it more, and repeat. After eating dried out or burnt chicken a few times, you'll get the hang of knowing when it's cooked. Same goes for pork chops. I don't know how much classes would help...when trying new things I like youtube actually, as you can pause or rewind videos to see exactly what they're doing.

Just don't be afraid of it - I'm a pretty slapdash cook but have never made myself or anyone sick (that I know of...)

• Advertisement

what do you guys think of this site? rouxbe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

very good site if your willing to pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

GeneralC wrote: »
    what do you guys think of this site? rouxbe.com

Too much fluff on there that you will pay for but never need or use.

Buy a basic cookbook for €20, pick a couple of dishes that appeal to you & practice.

Or have a go at any of the tried & tested recipes in The Cooking Club forum. If you have any questions - just post them in the thread & someone will give you the advice that you need. Best of all - Its FREE!!!

Advertisement