Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting unwanted adverts for pc

• 15-04-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi,

I keep getting pop up boxes about "windows errors" like this one today offering to sort out my low disk space -

http://systweak.com/registrycleaner/marim2/1/?utm_source=mapp1&utm_campaign=mapp1&vurlid=2447233&ccode=IE-

Is this all to do with the microsoft changes? I have AVAST software so was not relying on Microsoft security essentials.

Any advice? When I try to cancel out of these pop up boxes, they still open to a website. Looking v dodge indeed. Thanks.

Ah, no! Now I'm getting those stupid - you've won a million quid! :-/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

run adwcleaner, delete what it finds, and post the log here

www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

jsa112 wrote: »
    run adwcleaner, delete what it finds, and post the log here

www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

It won't install! I have downloaded twice now.

when you download it, call it explorer.exe or abcd.exe

does it run then ?

jsa112 wrote: »
    when you download it, call it explorer.exe or abcd.exe

does it run then ?

Nope, nada. Still waiting. I clicked on the do you want this programme to make changes to your computer - yes - then nothing.

try this instead

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

• Advertisement

I ended up trying one of the earlier ideas and reinstalled firefox and this has done the trick...for now. I have AVAST internet security. Should I be getting anything else? Always had Microsoft security essentials and AVST but now Microsoft S E is gone so only using one programme. I'd thought that was the prob.

Advertisement