Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEG vs GBB - First Gun Purchase

• 15-04-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

As above looking to purchase a new gun.

I had my first experience with 2 mates at The Manor Waterford. I rented a gun for half to day and had a good laugh. Then I got my mates G&G AEG with Blow-back and had even more fun.

First off ammunition.
    Throughout the full day I used 3.5 mags, 450 round per mags, and 3 of the 4 games were trigger happy games (In the first game alone my buddies used 5 x 450 round mags each!!!!). So I changed mags 3 times in total. Also I am not a fan of having such large mag sizes as many people would spray large amounts of bullets at you when under cover, unlike the 30-60 rounds they would hold if real.

AEG guns: I rented a gun with no blow-back. The single fire didnt work right but full auto was good. It was plastic and didnt really draw me into the game, basically it felt like a toy gun. I then got my friends G&G blow-back gun. The was a much better experience and the blow-back made the experience a little more realistic.

So now I would like to purchase my own gun. While I was looking at the various options available I came across a Gas Blow Back gun. This was way more interesting to me.

I liked the idea of 30 round mags. Although they might not last as long, I dont mind the idea of having 4-5 spare mags on me and having to reload the bbs every now and again.

Also the blow-back is ment to be far superior than the AEG guns. Also the gun is more realistic in weight and construction.

I know I should be getting a €200-300 AEG gun with large mags which will cost me nothing to run etc. but i want a GBB as they sound more real and will pull you into the experience even more.

So my question is this; how much will the GBB gun cost me to run and is it worth it?

The AEG will cost me around €350 for gun, bbs, charger, batteries etc. and will effectively cost me nothing each time I use it.

The GBB will cost around the same, perhaps a little more for the Co2 or Green Gas. However will 1 x 500ml can of green gas last me a full day? Will I need to carry the gas around with me and each time I reload the mag have to reload the gas? Is a 30 round mag even enough?! I read that in warm temps (18 ish degrees) to gas can change density and the gun will loose a considerable amount of power/range.

Your thoughs would really be appriciated.

Finally I was looking at buying the gun new. However if there is anyone with a second hand gun I would also be interested.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Mini Dude

IMO an aeg would probably be better for someone's first gun BUT it is YOUR decision, you decide. The weather will definetly affect your GBB, some gas guns have problems of venting and can cause a problem. The blowback will be much better on a gas gun rather then an aeg, I know this didn't really answer your question but it is something to consider and enjoy your purchase :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

For first gun i'd probably go with aeg less maintenance and cheaper to run than a gbb.A g&g raider is a good stating out gun if u like the m4 platform that is.I know a few lads that got a vector for there first new and decent gun and lasted a month with it and sold it due to maintenance,weather and cost to run.They used a tin of green gas in about a half days gaming if the gun worked properly in the first place.Again its all up to yourself but from what i can see an aeg is easier to resell than a gbb if i ever wanted to change it up.As for buying one keep an eye out here u get good deals and most of the time great guys to deal with.Hope this is of some help.Good luck with your purchase and welcome to airsoft the sport that drains your wallet lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Scottfreee3

brenak47 wrote: »
    For first gun i'd probably go with aeg less maintenance and cheaper to run than a gbb.A g&g raider is a good stating out gun if u like the m4 platform that is.I know a few lads that got a vector for there first new and decent gun and lasted a month with it and sold it due to maintenance,weather and cost to run.They used a tin of green gas in about a half days gaming if the gun worked properly in the first place.Again its all up to yourself but from what i can see an aeg is easier to resell than a gbb if i ever wanted to change it up.As for buying one keep an eye out here u get good deals and most of the time great guys to deal with.Hope this is of some help.Good luck with your purchase and welcome to airsoft the sport that drains your wallet lol :D

Thanks for the feedback.

AEG it is then. Just got to decide on the weapon of choice.

Stuck between a G&G M4 GR15 Raider or the G&G Top Tech TR4-18 (another €120 more than the GR15!!!). Can anyone tell the difference between the Gen2 and Gen3 TR4-18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Mate, I'm in the sport two years now and like yourself, I started out by asking questions on here which is a good idea!

My first gun was a G&G M4 top tech that is still performing flawlessly today. This gun is easy to upgrade with a tight bore barrel, hi torque motor etc. The blowback is a nice touch but in reality, it has no effect apart from cosmetic. In the long run, the blowback can cause a loss in pressure due to a small rubber nub breaking down but that's just a maintenance item.

However, that gun is the only one of two guns that I've bought new. All the rest, and there are now quite a few, were bought on the Airsoft Adverts forum here and I saved a small fortune that way. You can pick up a good reliable gun in great nick for 1/3 or even 1/2 the price that the original owner paid for it new. Even if the gun needs some maintenance, the M4's are easy to maintain. If you don't feel up to doing it yourself, a good gun tech will only charge €35-€45 euro to service it. Still waaaaaaay cheaper than buying a new gun.

If you want some advice, go to an airsoft shop and try out a few guns to see which one suits you. I personally like M4's but hate AK's. You might feel different. Once you decide on the model you like, buy one second hand. Try out army surplus stores for camo gear or try the Camoshop.ie. Invest in a decent pair of boots and get face and eye protection. After that, everything else like chest rigs, holsters, pistols etc are all nice but not necessary when starting out.

Any questions, keep asking on here as everyone is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Scottfreee3

Thanks for the reply. I am 99% complete on a purchase for a G&G Tr4-18 for a nice price on the forum. Looking forward to picking it up!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement