Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firearm delivery

• 15-04-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey lads this might be an extremely stupid question but does any1 no can a firearm be couriered by a dealer? I no ammo can be alrite

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

moreau118 wrote: »
    Hey lads this might be an extremely stupid question but does any1 no can a firearm be couriered by a dealer? I no ammo can be alrite

There are couriers that are licensed to transport firearms, friend got his sent to local dealer until his license came through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭moreau118

Ah thanks for da info got license for my new rifle but can't seem to find time to go up the country to pick it up so gonna chance asking dealer if he could courier it down to me if I send him a copy of the license

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Section 2(3)(f) of the Firearms Act says that you don't need a license for:
    the carriage for sporting purposes only of a firearm or ammunition under instructions from and for the use of the holder of a firearm certificate for such firearm or ammunition;

Meaning if the courier is instructed by the dealer to deliver the firearm to you (the certificate holder) he & you are covered. No license needed by the courier..
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks cass that's great to no hopefully so this time next week il be out lamping instead of watching ****e on tv :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Cass , does that also cover you if say , u and ur mate were going shooting and ur mate was coming from work, and instead of him travelling back to get his guns , you could collect them and meet him where ever u are going shooting !

• Advertisement

Yup.

The best bet is always to have your mates gun in a case and for rifles have the bolt out, but in the case. Have the gun in the boot of the car or away from the driver. IOW make sure there is no impression of you having or going to use the gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Ah thanks for da info got license for my new rifle but can't seem to find time to go up the country to pick it up so gonna chance asking dealer if he could courier it down to me if I send him a copy of the license

Done this a couple of years ago, simply because it was cheeper to have it delivered to my door than do a return journey across the country. Scanned my license and emailed it, and had the rifle a few days later.

One thing though, is the rifle new? If so than no major problems as it will have its original shipping packageing. If not make sure the sender wraps it - A. well for transport & B.discreetly for security.
    I'm convinced the actual courier on the day has no idea of what he or she is delivering. Last thing you want is an all too obvious badly wrapped gun shaped parcel being dropped off at your address.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Does anyone know if there is a company that transports firearms out of Ireland, say within Europe or even internationally?
    Getting Firearms into Ireland is OK, getting them out?
    edi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Cass wrote: »
    Yup.

The best bet is always to have your mates gun in a case and for rifles have the bolt out, but in the case. Have the gun in the boot of the car or away from the driver. IOW make sure there is no impression of you having or going to use the gun.
    Cass
    Are you 100% sure on this ?
    I have often been asked by friends to drop a gun off with a dealer or gunsmith but I refused as I thought I wouldnt be covered.
    It would be great if I could do this.

It's in the law. As quoted above:
    Cass wrote: »
    Section 2(3)(f) of the Firearms Act says that you don't need a license for:
    the carriage for sporting purposes only of a firearm or ammunition under instructions from and for the use of the holder of a firearm certificate for such firearm or ammunition;
    This allows for the transport of firearm(s) by persons without a license for that gun for the purpose of transporting ONLY, to the licensed person. So once you don't use it you are fine.

I cannot find any amendment to that specific section that repeals or voids this authorisation.

The term "Sporting purpose" would seem to cover our needs. For a friend, to a dealer, etc. IOW as long as you're not hauling AK's and claim this section covers you because you are only transporting them.

• Advertisement

Just re-read that section and the after consulting with the "regional legal eagle" section 2(3)(d) would be applicable to couriers where 2(3)(f) applies to indiviudals. Section 2(3)(d) reads:
    (d) the possession or carriage of a firearm or ammunition in the ordinary course of business by a person engaged in the business of carrying or of warehousing goods for reward;
    This covers the courier service as their transporting is not for sporting purposes but for payment. Hence the need for their own little bit to keep them on the up and up.

However they can, as individual companies, refuse to carry the items. That is their own policy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Chiparus

How do you think the firearm gets to the dealer?

Chiparus wrote: »
    How do you think the firearm gets to the dealer?

Well first of all there's a bit of a difference between delivering guns to a dealer and to an ordinary joe soap down the country who if they don't end up getting in contact with there stuck halling the gun around for a few days until they get to deliver it which I'm sure a lot of courier companies wouldn't be too keen on doing and secondly as a courier myself for FedEx I no they and ups won't even deliver a scope let alone a gun so that's why I was asking the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Well first of all there's a bit of a difference between delivering guns to a dealer and to an ordinary joe soap down the country who if they don't end up getting in contact with there stuck halling the gun around for a few days until they get to deliver it which I'm sure a lot of courier companies wouldn't be too keen on doing and secondly as a courier myself for FedEx I no they and ups won't even deliver a scope let alone a gun so that's why I was asking the question

But you are posting a question on couriers on an internet discussion forum ?

Yes but I work for a company that deals in international freight and not domestic so I was askin the question to find out if any1 would no if the likes of fastway or nightline etc that deal in domestic would deliver a gun to the likes of myself (not being a dealer) or even if a dealer would be willing to do that cos even if a courier will take it doesn't mean a dealer would want to send it or if anyone ever had it done before or if it was against the law ya no ,basically I was looking I was for a simple answer which the lads were good enough to give me and not really end up answering stupid questions

Advertisement