Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have tips for english in jc ?

Options
  • 15-04-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I got a d in English mocks and I don't know how to improve. I urgently need some tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Do you have the book Key Skills? If you do read through the whole thing it's so good for giving advice on how to answer questions and stuff. If you don't I'd recommend buying it :)
    For poetry, flick through all the past questions on poetry and figure out which poem (out of the ones you've studied) that would suit it. The ones that come up the most often well learn loads quotes from them! If you really wanted to narrow it down you could choose one with a powerful message like 'Base Details', a poem with lots of sounds like 'Snow', a poem with lots of imagery like 'Valley of Oranges' and then a love poem maybe. But you're probably better off learning more.
    For your play you really have to learn loads of quotes, I lost marks in my mocks for not using enough :( Go through your papers again and see what kind of questions come up most often, many of them will refer to a certain scene from your play like a 'conflict scene' or 'dramatic scene' or turning point in the play or something so learn these scenes really well.
    For the novel you just need to remember your book really haha that's about it and past papers!
    For media studies know all the advantages and disadvantages of different media types and advertising methods, be able to talk about stuff like how colours can influence and ad and stuff on technology.
    Some people learn off beginnings and endings for essays and characters that might help you idk? Find out what kind of essays you're good for example if it's speeches then learn the format perfectly and always brainstorm before! Split the time into 15 minutes for a brainstorm and 45 for writing, it makes it a lot easier and you can even gain more marks! Make sure all your paragraphs run smoothly together and if you like speeches learn some famous quotes to throw in :)
    For functional writing learn how to write a report, speech, letter to the editor, etc. they should be all in your book!
    Hope that's helpful but really just practise loads and ask your teacher to correct things for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Hey there! :)

I'm studying English right now for the JC too so I know how you feel!

Paper Two:

Okay, so your English teacher has surely gone through several poems from the same poet during class right? Make sure to know each (at least 3) of those poems well. Know their themes, message, language, style, background etc. In addition, you must know all of the other poems studied in class in detail. Organize each poem in terms of theme, such as love, war, happiness, death etc.

Novel: For whatever novel/short story you have studied you must know the main characters well: why do you like them? Why do you dislike them? Do they have interesting traits? Do they develop by the end of the novel. Ask yourself these questions. Quote!!! As my teacher says: "An answer without quotes is nothing but words on a page." You will absolutely get docked marks for not quoting. Also, you must know at least 2 key scenes from your novel/short story "Choose a novel or short story you have studied which has a tense or dramatic scene." If that question came up in June, what would you write? Make sure to study an important scene.

Drama: Quotes here (as with everything else) are vital! Same as the novel: know main characters well. Also know a tense scene and perhaps be able to describe how you, as a director would set up that particular scene in order to make it as suspenseful/tense as possible. That question came up once, actually.

Paper One:

Many studies actually prefer this paper because it's much more creative than paper two. (In my opinion, of course.)

Comprehension: Read over the passage 3 times! Once before reading the questions, read the questions, read again, underline key words in questions and read again.

Personal Writing: At this point, you should practice all the different types of writing: descriptive, short story, speech writing etc. Personally, I find short story the easiest as it's very imaginative, but each to their own. Allow yourself 1hr or 1h 10 mins at the latest during the exam. Ideally, you should try to use the Easter holidays to your advantage and time yourself writing one of the essays from your exam papers.

Functional Writing: No waffling in this section. Examiners want to-the-point answers. Learn your formal letter layout and know the different headings of a review.

Media Studies: Know advantages x disadvantages of the different forms of advertising. Make sure to know all the analyzing terminology inside-out.

That's really it. There are 49 or so days left until June 4th and that's a whole load of time if you use it to your advantage. Exam papers work wonders.

Remember, there is a life after exams. Take it cool and take it easy. Have fun but don't completely slack off the work. :)

Best of luck in June!

Advertisement