Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'Arcy Half Marathon - Good Friday 18th April

Options
  • 15-04-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone running this?

I am wondering if there will be any pacers running target times? I am hoping to go under 1hr 45mins for the first time. Would be nice to have someone to follow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Not doing it, but the course is all within the Park and looks made for PBs. The only tough bit is having to go up the Acres Road twice.

https://lauralynn.ie/media/Half-Marathon-Map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yep running it. Running alongside the OH who is doing her first half.

There won't be pacers, unfortunately. Looking forward to a great day out too. Looks like they've already made the €500,000 !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seems a bit excessive, good cause obviously but they may get more money raised off a smaller entry fee with more runners.
    You will need to pay a Registration Fee or Fundraise €250 to take part

The route has been amended; now two climbs out of the Furry Glen, as opposed to going straight through the crossroads after the Ordnance Survey, should increase the difficulty level somewhat.

http://lauralynn.ie/media/HMHM-Route-Map-FINAL.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Randi Wicks

The route has been amended; now two climbs out of the Furry Glen, as opposed to going straight through the crossroads after the Ordnance Survey, should increase the difficulty level somewhat.

I had just mapped the previous map and was coming up with 20.3k so wasn't too impressed. Looks to be the right distance now.
    Not much point doing a half which is 1k short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seems a bit excessive, good cause obviously but they may get more money raised off a smaller entry fee with more runners.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself. 250 bills is a lot and I think it would've put a fair few people off who otherwise would've been up for giving to the charity and running the race. I dont agree with races that demand you collect a certain amount of charity money before you can enter. Its too much of a strong arm tactic. Surely its better to charge an entry fee thats reasonable, give a good % of that to charity and leave it up to people if they wanna collect any extra money themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wonder what the quality of the field will be given the high entry fee. What time does it start at? Might pop out to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭The Davestator

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself. 250 bills is a lot and I think it would've put a fair few people off who otherwise would've been up for giving to the charity and running the race. I dont agree with races that demand you collect a certain amount of charity money before you can enter. Its too much of a strong arm tactic. Surely its better to charge an entry fee thats reasonable, give a good % of that to charity and leave it up to people if they wanna collect any extra money themselves.

There are plenty of races like that. This is a special event purely to raise money for Lauren Lynn house. From listening to the radio show, they had to keep the numbers relatively low so they seem to have done it perfectly. They'll hit their target for this great cause and run a decent event I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

There are plenty of races like that. This is a special event purely to raise money for Lauren Lynn house. From listening to the radio show, they had to keep the numbers relatively low so they seem to have done it perfectly. They'll hit their target for this great cause and run a decent event I'd imagine.

Yeah I was listening to the show myself and they did hit their target but for me Im just not a fan of that kind of tactic with regards to collecting for charity, theres something thats off putting about it and I know a lot of other people who feel the same way.

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah I was listening to the show myself and they did hit their target but for me Im just not a fan of that kind of tactic with regards to collecting for charity, theres something thats off putting about it and I know a lot of other people who feel the same way.

I know what you're saying but my point is that they only needed 2,000 people to do it and weren't allowed have many more I believe. So in that sense, they pitched it perfect. If it was a lower amount, I might have done it myself but I'll just do another one. (As I'm sure you will too)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Thought they did a great job. 2000 by €250 equals half a million for Laura Lynn. Every cent going to the charity.

Half a million is huge but most people can raise €250. Think they pitched it perfectly. One day and charity is 500,000 better off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Running it myself, looking forward to it. Great cause - initally I was put off by the €250 requirement, but in fairness it's a fairly easy charity to raise money for as it really tugs the heart strings. Have almost €500 raised and hope to get a bit more over the next week or so.

Nervous as anything right now, only my third half - first was not great, second was the Dublin half that day it was really hot, so the pressure is on to put in a good time tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Sorry about that - I pointed the omission of the Furry Glen to them ;-)

Lovely weather for it this morning - nice gentle cooling breeze. Acres Road was challenging as it is a long drag up to Chesterfield Avenue. Happy with my sub 1:30 time.

The results only show 1422 finishers. What happened the other 578 entrants? I know that all races have a significant number "no shows" but I thought that it would be different today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anyone hear if the lad who went off in the ambulance is ok? Hate to see that, hope all is well with him.

Enjoyed that today, was tired after mile 11 but knocked 4 mins off my PB so happy with my time - and hit over €500 fund-raising also today so doubly happy. Tough enough course, especially with the two laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

daymobrew wrote: »

The results only show 1422 finishers. What happened the other 578 entrants? I know that all races have a significant number "no shows" but I thought that it would be different today.

I'm one of the no-shows I'm afraid, have been struggling with chesty cough for a while, finally went to the docs during the week to be told I had acute bronchitis and I was told under no circumstances was I to run today :-(

Gutted to have missed it, I'd say it was a great atmosphere, but still happy that my €250 went into the pot for such a great cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Have results been published. Can't seem to find them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So I accidentally ran into this crowd while out running this morning. Why on earth would anyone name a marathon after Ray Darcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

AngryLips wrote: »
    So I accidentally ran into this crowd while out running this morning. Why on earth would anyone name a marathon after Ray Darcy?

The actual name is- The Ray D'Arcy Show Half Million Half Marathon for LauraLynn Children's Hospice
    Bit of a mouthful.... very good cause and not the vanity project to inflate Mr Darcy's ego as you seem to be suggesting. Fair play to the organisers and runners, must be hard to raise funds after resent charity scandals.

Educate yourself before you make silly posts!
    One of the most popular radio shows in the country continually promoting running to the masses and making money for charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Jesus people will give out about anything! D'arcy and his team raised in excess of half a million today for a really worthy cause and you give out about the fecking name of the event.

There's a whole thread in the radio forum that's full of bitter angry wannabe critics like yourself. You should check it out you'd love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Educate yourself before you make silly posts!
    One of the most popular radio shows in the country continually promoting running to the masses and making money for charity.

It was a good question. I was thinking the same. I dont listen to his show so never heard of the race. All you had to say was your second sentence.

Educate yourself? Silly posts???
    Why are you so angry????? Please relax!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Fudge You wrote: »
    It was a good question.
    -snip-
    Educate yourself? Silly posts???
    Why are you so angry????? Please relax!!!
    The reaction was because of how you phrased your question:
    Why on earth would anyone name a marathon after Ray Darcy?
    And alternative version could have been:

Why was the marathon named after Ray D'Arcy?

To be fair to Ray, he ran it himself in a time of 1:46 according to Precision Timing. Fair play to everyone else who did it too, hard enough to raise money these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

To be fair to Ray, he ran it himself in a time of 1:46 according to Precision Timing. Fair play to everyone else who did it too, hard enough to raise money these days!

To be even fairer, he ran 1:44:36. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Ah come on..... it was a half-marathon anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

PauloMN wrote: »
    Anyone hear if the lad who went off in the ambulance is ok? Hate to see that, hope all is well with him.

He's still undergoing treatment. Hopeful that he will make a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

daymobrew wrote: »
    The reaction was because of how you phrased your question:

But it wasnt my question. Please stop being so angry. All the best.

fiacha wrote: »
    He's still undergoing treatment. Hopeful that he will make a full recovery.

Hope so, fingers crossed for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Komeara

I hope that guy that collapsed after the line is ok. this was my first half marathon, I only started running a year ago, so pretty pleased that I finished this in 2.27 in no pain! it was a great event and I'd say they raised well over €500k cos they were taking a heap of cash on the day in offline donations. the weather was fab and congrats to anyone who posted a PB. my thoughts are in Boston today, hope they can have a great day and event.

Advertisement