Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking e cigs and regular cigs together

Options
  • 15-04-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone do this? I am not a smoker but my sister in law has just started using e cigs she smokes regular cigarettes during the daytime and e cigs at night. Surely she should park the regulars while using e cigs as she is trying to quit smoking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Anyone do this? I am not a smoker but my sister in law has just started using e cigs she smokes regular cigarettes during the daytime and e cigs at night. Surely she should park the regulars while using e cigs as she is trying to quit smoking?

Tons do. Many use them just to cut down r to use when they can't smoke, and a lot of those find themselves cutting cigs out altogether without thinking about it. Some struggle with that as there are certain must-have cigs (morning, post-dinner, alcohol).

If she's actually trying to stop smoking then a higher nic-level and either willpower or a disgust for/resentment toward/non-romantic view of cigarettes is needed. That last bit's usually natural if they're quitting because they can feel the negative physical effects of cigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

I did exactly the same thing for a few weeks, gradually reducing the number of real cigarettes per day. After about 3 or four weeks of it, I struggled to finish my last pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I did exactly the same thing for a few weeks, gradually reducing the number of real cigarettes per day. After about 3 or four weeks of it, I struggled to finish my last pack.
    Did you get headaches while smoking both? My sister in law is only on e cigs 1 week but she is complaining of headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Did you get headaches while smoking both? My sister in law is only on e cigs 1 week but she is complaining of headaches.

Sounds like she's taking in too much nicotine.

Sounds like she's taking in too much nicotine.
    Yeah she is on the higher tobacco e cig As far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

The 2 things that cause me headaches from vaping are:

1) Having too much, that's too strong a liquid or vaping like a mad yoke all day. This is also even more true if you are having cigarettes (nicotine) and vaping on top of it (more nicotine). It can easily give you a bad headache.

2) Dehydration. Vaping draws moisture out of your lungs AFAIK and certainly dehydrates the bejaysus out of you. You need to be drinking water a good bit with e-cigs to help this. It's easy, as I just did t his minute, to vape away with a big coffee and feel that dried out, hungover feeling. If I got in a bath right now I'd absorb the bloody water!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 scamtown

i use ecigs but smoke the odd spliff, an ecig spliff would be magic?

The 2 things that cause me headaches from vaping are:

1) Having too much, that's too strong a liquid or vaping like a mad yoke all day. This is also even more true if you are having cigarettes (nicotine) and vaping on top of it (more nicotine). It can easily give you a bad headache.

2) Dehydration. Vaping draws moisture out of your lungs AFAIK and certainly dehydrates the bejaysus out of you. You need to be drinking water a good bit with e-cigs to help this. It's easy, as I just did t his minute, to vape away with a big coffee and feel that dried out, hungover feeling. If I got in a bath right now I'd absorb the bloody water!
    She's on 24 which is the highest as far as I know and she smokes the bejaysus out of it. Her sister told her only to take a few puffs now and then.

She's on 24 which is the highest as far as I know and she smokes the bejaysus out of it. Her sister told her only to take a few puffs now and then.

It's a high dose, all right.

If she were to, say, cut down from 20 smokes per day to 10, and take a few puffs from the ecig to replace each 'missing' cigarette, she'd be fine. Sounds like she's over doing it and throwing way too much nicotine into her body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

It appears more likely that she is in fact suffering from nicotine withdrawal, there is a lot of new info coming out that indicates that we are getting way less nicotine than we thought from eCigs.

ECF just this week allowed vendors and posters to discuss and advertise up to 45mg (4.5%) levels of nicotine. I tried 5% nicotine and nothing really to write about. I used to smoke everything from Gitanes to Camels, Lucky Strike and Cigars (and inhaled) I don't think there is that much to worry about high nicotine levels, no more that drinking double expressos (guilty....!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sweetafton

scamtown wrote: »

I think those do exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

sweetafton wrote: »
    I think those do exist!

There are terrible atomisers to do that with ecig batteries. They do combust so not really vaping.
    The Pax is the only hand-held I know of that gets across-the-board good reviews and doesn't scorch the goods. Expensive!

In America you can also get cannabis eliquid that's made by steeping for AEONSSSSSssssssssssssssss.
    Which you can do yourself if you have means and ways...Google and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

grindle wrote: »
    There are terrible atomisers to do that with ecig batteries. They do combust so not really vaping.
    The Pax is the only hand-held I know of that gets across-the-board good reviews and doesn't scorch the goods. Expensive!

In America you can also get cannabis eliquid that's made by steeping for AEONSSSSSssssssssssssssss.
    Which you can do yourself if you have means and ways...Google and such.
    Interesting Grindle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I was a slave to cigarettes for over 20 years.

I'd spend on them sooner than food. Anybody whose smoked before would tell you that anyway.

I made the switch 18 months ago with no effort.

However. I sometimes used to smoke the odd one if offered.

Apart from the familiar & nostalgic 'feel' of it all, I liked the fact that I could have one & not need or have one for months afterwards.

Can't imagine buying them anymore & can't imagine why I did it for so long.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

scamtown wrote: »

I would imagine if you can get good clean cannabis oil it would be a matter of mixing a few drops with some liquid, since a lot of liquids are plant oil based I can't see why that shouldn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I just want to put this lame disclaimer here: This is for debate / to highlight MY concerns (and not meant to be cold hard fact).

From what I have learned and been told the chemistry for this is underestimated and there are some issues behind it all. This is in terms of making it effective, at a reasonable cost, and LESS unhealthy than burning and smoking.

Temperatures aren't exactly right.
    The particlate matter is a cigarette is ten times smaller than the eliquid particales. This MAY affect absorption. And the ecig is absorbed therough moucous membranes and not lungs directly.
    Sediment. This well clog a clearo in about ten minutes and you'll get next to no efffect from it. This happens a lot.
    Oil: IF the oil has not had the butane heated off.. then you are heating and inhaling butane. This is the real concern. The butane bonds to a hydrocarbon in the oil and can cause all sorts of POTENTIAL health concerns down the line.

The 'oil' you are referring to is a specific thing, manufactured a certain way and by all accounts works. Somoene seeping kif in vg/pg is not going to work unless you are putting a few hundred quid into a clearo, and at that stage a big vapouriser in the house is far better.

This will all be sorted no doubt, but the only REAL issue in my mind, is making sure the oil is nice and clean and safe, and you know who and how it was made.

Here's an update my sister in law lasted a week with the e cig then gave it away :rolleyes: she's smoking away as good as ever. What makes me laugh is how some smokers believe that e cigs are bad for their health :rolleyes:

Here's an update my sister in law lasted a week with the e cig then gave it away :rolleyes: she's smoking away as good as ever. What makes me laugh is how some smokers believe that e cigs are bad for their health :rolleyes:

There is a lot of negative propaganda in the media about electronic cigarettes. For a lot of smokers, they think 'well, at least I KNOW what's in a real smoke,' and use that as an excuse to smoke.

No method works 100% of the time. For a lot of people, though, methods don't work because they don't really want to quit smoking.

Advertisement