Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for good kit - Advice

Options
  • 15-04-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi All,

New to Triathlon.

Looking for advice from people on the following;

1. Good quality Goggles
    2. Good quality Tri Suit
    3. Good quality Wet Suit

Obviously as I am only getting started I dont want to break the bank.

So good cheap options preferably

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi All,

New to Triathlon.

1. Good quality Goggles
    2. Good quality Tri Suit
    3. Good quality Wet Suit

Thanks for any help

1. Swedish googles < tenner
    2. unless you are doing a pool tri one that doesn't go see through when wet is all you need.
    3. A second hand one that fits

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Hi All,

New to Triathlon.

1. Good quality Goggles
    2. Good quality Tri Suit
    3. Good quality Wet Suit

Thanks for any help

1. Good quality Goggles -Aquasphere Kayenne are the business -large vision too to ease those not use to the swims into it. about €25
    2. Good quality Tri Suit - I still dont have one after 50+ triathlons (been bulky doesn't help my cause) a good pair of tri shorts are a must thou with good padding and I find leg pockets great for gels.
    3. Good quality Wet Suit - fit is critical so try a few on , I prefer Orca myself (the irony of the brand name across my chest of a 104kg swimmer is not lost on me) . Your swim style will also impact your choice but a high end expensive suits will give you sweet FA advantage . Look to sales of old suits or online once you have a suit and size in mind. swimcyclerun.com has an entry level Orca suit for €119 which will be hard to beat and they are irish i think .
    Good luck and pencil in Westport Tri on June 21st .Nice safe open water swim,flat bike and run.

1. Good quality Goggles -Aquasphere Kayenne are the business -large vision too to ease those not use to the swims into it. about €25
    2. Good quality Tri Suit - I still dont have one after 50+ triathlons (been bulky donest help my cause) a good pair of tri shorts are a must thou with good padding and I find leg pockets great for gels.
    3. Good quality Wet Suit - fit is critical so try a few on , I prefer Orca myself (the irony of the brand name across my chest of a 104kg swimmer is not lost on me) . Your swim style will also impact your choice but a high end expensive suits will give you sweet FA advantage . Look to sales of old suits or online once you have a suit and size in mind. swimcyclerun.com has an entry level Orca suit for €119 which will be hard to beat and they are irish i think .
    Good luck and pencil in Westport Tri on June 21st .Nice safe open water swim,flat bike and run.

Like most I drank the kool aid over Aquashere goggles and then masks in the beginning and then you realise that goggles should
    (a) not leave you looking like a twat
    (b) be cheap
    (c) most importantly last years and not months

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I dunno, I paid 16 quid for my lady Kaimans four years ago, they met their end by being stolen from a pool changing room in Limerick and not by breaking. Would be happy enough to get another pair...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Goggles: it's a personal thing. I've tried most of the usual suspects but keep coming back to Speedo Futura - €17 a pair. They also look ok, nothing makes you look like a twat like those large goggles (IMHO)

Trisuits: I've done about 30+ tris in my Orca tri suit. Still in good nick and not see through when wet. TK Max and I think lidl/aldi sometimes do cheap suits. No point in breaking the bank for something you might only wear a few times. You might be better off with a cheaper option -tri shorts as a t shirt at first.

Wetsuit: depends on how much you want to spend. Starting out I'd recommend a cheaper suit, no point in spending €00's on a suit you may only wear a handful of times. If you're in the sport for the long haul by all means invest in a good suit. I started off in an Orca Equip which lasted me three seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Goggles - individual preference but not a fan of the way the big goggles work. goggles dont vary that much in price (mostly +-€10) so its not really that big an issue. Zoggs predator flex or Finis Surge goggles do it for me - €20-€25

pick up an orca or zoot tri suit - should get one for about €70 with last years models probably on sale now

wetsuit - get a cheap orca, 2013 models probably cheaper now with the new 2014 ranges coming on stream. orca suits are decent

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Is there an actual reason for two piece tri suits over one piece? There has to be surely they look atrocious yet you see guys at the front wearing them. Can someone enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

A lot more convenient for toilet breaks at long distance races.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

tunney wrote: »
    Like most I drank the kool aid over Aquashere goggles and then masks in the beginning and then you realise that goggles should
    (a) not leave you looking like a twat
    (b) be cheap
    (c) most importantly last years and not months

simple goggles such as the sweedish are great. Set them up well and its all gravy.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have been kicked in face (well, the eye) during a tri, and I was very glad my regular goggles took the impact, I would worry that swedish type goggles wouldnt be so clever if that happened.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I have been kicked in face (well, the eye) during a tri, and I was very glad my regular goggles took the impact, I would worry that swedish type goggles wouldnt be so clever if that happened.

Why? What do you think would happen? They turn in the members of ABBA and drag you down?

Why? What do you think would happen? They turn in the members of ABBA and drag you down?
    Cos they sit more into the eye socket, I presumed it would hurt like feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Oryx wrote: »
    Cos they sit more into the eye socket, I presumed it would hurt like feck.

Exactly this.

Briando wrote: »
    Exactly this.

Have either of you actually tried the goggles?

Have either of you actually tried the goggles?

Yes. Hated them.

Advertisement