Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish mobile in Canada

Options
  • 15-04-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

Hello. I'm moving to Vancouver in 3 weeks and just wanted to ask about using my Itish mobile while over there. I had hoped to bring it (iPhone 4) and get a Canadian sim while over there. Does anyone know if this is possible? Would I need to get the phone unlocked etc? Or what else do I need to know or consider? Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You can get it unlocked yeah just contact your network, if you're on prepay there'll be a minimum topup involved, if you're bill there should be no problem. I keep meaning to check Canadian networks myself all I want is texts and data I could care less about calls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

krudler wrote: »
    You can get it unlocked yeah just contact your network, if you're on prepay there'll be a minimum topup involved, if you're bill there should be no problem. I keep meaning to check Canadian networks myself all I want is texts and data I could care less about calls

Cheers for that. I'm with 3 in a bill pay contract I only joined about 8 months ago :(... So I can get them to unlock it and get a Canadian sim from a carrier that supports iPhones?? Just want to get this sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Aye that's what I did last year, I've an iphone 4, I got it unlocked by o2 before I left. I bought a prepaid sim here.

You just have to be careful with the networks not all of them support iphones but they'll tell you when you try to buy a sim.

I pretty much only use my phone on wifi as it's so expensive here. They still charge you to receive calls. They have long distance calls too, which can mean the next town is long distance. It's a crazy system!!

Goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Get off prepaid!
    It's a costly way of working.
    I pay 70 bucks a month for 5 gigs data unlimited local texts unlimited international texts unlimited in Canada calling and no roaming charges

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Get off prepaid!
    I pay 70 bucks a month for 5 gigs data unlimited local texts unlimited international texts unlimited in Canada calling and no roaming charges

I wish I could. I don't want to sign a 2 year contract so that rules out the big 3. Then I live just outside Niagara Falls, so Wind & Fido don't have coverage out that far. So I'm stuck with the prepaid for the minute. If I lived in a city I would change for sure, but until the coverage improves there's not much I can do.

• Advertisement

Get off prepaid!

Who's that with?

If I could get a sim only plan or something with loads of texts and data I could care less about calls

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Agro Head

krudler wrote: »
    Who's that with?

If I could get a sim only plan or something with loads of texts and data I could care less about calls

My plan with Rogers is 65 a month. I use internet all the time and never exceed my limit. Same with calls and texts. There is major room to bargain with them. Call them and tell them you want to sign up. When they start quoting your prices tell them it's way more expensive than you thought it would be. Then tell them you saw the unlimited deals with fido etc. and think they're better value.

That's what I did and they took about 30 dollars a month off the plan.

Right so try and get phone unlocked before I leave.. Can it still be used with irish sim after that? Until I arrive in Canada say? Sorry, I'm a complete dope when it comes to phones and just want to make this is straightforward as possible

Right so try and get phone unlocked before I leave.. Can it still be used with irish sim after that? Until I arrive in Canada say? Sorry, I'm a complete dope when it comes to phones and just want to make this is straightforward as possible

Yeah it can, unlocking it just means it's open to any network it doesnt affect your current sim or plan at all, I'd usually unlock any phone I get straight away its never caused any issues.

right so it appears i cant get my irish phone unlocked which is a pain in the balls. im with 3 and seemingly theyre the only network which is unlockable. i went to a few places and they all said the same thing. they also said id be better off caling 3 rather than popping into one of their stores to discuss the issue but even then its unlikely they'll be able to help. im on bill pay and the contract isnt even a year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement